Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mudskipper got her. Carol Heiss was the 1960 Olympic champion and made the one movie with the Three Stooges a year later. Now let's change gears. This next actress is no obscure supporting player. She starred in a best picture Oscar winning movie. Do you know her?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfOXLsgcFlGuF1GpzUySvimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZZDtQLLtmTkN5iXBOpfC

That's the English actress Diana Wynyard who was in "Cavalcade"(1933). She started in Broadway with The Barrymores in 1932. She was James Mason's mother in "Island In The Sun". She played the Ingrid Bergman part in the prior English version of "Gaslight"...Her real name was Dorothy Isobel Cox.

John Ridgely, who was in a couple of Humphrey Bogart movies and a lot of Army and Navy movies from the forties and fifties. He is one of those familiar character actors whose names are known but to few...He died of a heart attack at age 58....

What took you so long? Yes, Twinkeee, he was best known as Captain Englehorn in the original "King Kong".

Now, here's an actress who starred in separate movies with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. She could sing too. Do you know her?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSB3aVoTFfBFi8TEc52JMqimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKipfnyi3SdtTN3gmJQmc

Sorry, Twinks, not Virginia Dale. I'll give you a little bit of trivia about this actress. She appeared as a singer in blackface in the last movie that John Dillinger ever saw. That may not help, but if you ever see the movie, now you'll be looking for her.

Yes, it's Shirley Ross. Here she is with Bob Hope doing what became his theme song.

Now, as I leave you for the evening, here is a character actor that very few will know the name of, but he was quite active in films for many years. Do you know him?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0T5UOmvJV1WaG2oXyZ1Limages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnVrCmvTiEgnhHHCbY5B0

Aaahhh, give me back the old songs with their delightful melodies and meaningful lyrics...Here's the companion song to that one from the same movie--- this one with melody by Hoagy and lyrics by Loesser....

Thanks, Skipper ... those took me right back in time to those glory days when you didn't have to be afraid of what the next scene might be in the movie ...

I have a book on Bob Hope which is quite informative and says he was very surprised to see himself for the first time on screen. Up to then he had thought of himself as extremely handsome, and when he saw that he had kind of a funny face, it was a shock.

I hope Miles won't mind, but while we're on the subject of Bob Hope I want to tell somebody this:

While working as a lab tech at Subic Bay U.S. Naval Hospital in the Philippines in '66 or '67, Bob Hope came to visit the hospital during one of his tours during the Vietnam War. Most of our patients were Navy and Marine personnel sick or wounded from Vietnam. He went from ward to ward cheering those patients up, then he did some jokes at the galley (messhall for the army). The next day he did his show on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier that was docked in the bay....and he did it again four years later.

Junior Durkin. This was driving me nuts for the last few days, because I recognized this kid. I finally realized he was Huckleberry Finn. I loved *Tom Sawyer* and *Huckleberry Finn* films when I was a kid. In NY, these versions with Junior Durkin were shown on TV. He was in *Hell's House* with Bette Davis and Pat O'Brien.

Yes, it's Junior Durkin. What a tragic end to a young life! He and best friend Jackie Coogan were passengers in a car driven by Coogan;s father. They, along with two other men, were traveling back from a hunting trip in Mexico. On a highway about 50 miles fron San Diego, Coogan's father swerved to avoid an oncoming car. Their car rolled over about five times and went down a small embankment. Jackie and Junior were in the rumble seat. Jackie was the only survivor. He had managed to duck down on the floor, but all of the others were ejected in the rollovers. Junior Durkin was only nineteen years old.

Now, do you know this next fellow? He was a comic actor in a relative few movies, but some were very well known. What some may not know is that he wrote the screenplays, or contributed to the screenplays, for several of those fims, as well as several others. Comedies and musicals were his specialty.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHFro5-fc4dbK3whFZyzIimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaoIaMiCXSoXXAJ4Sc1Lo

Here he is with Una Merkel:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbK8SjNM_NpVrG1f3MWqi