Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First movie to have a benign vampire?

skimpole

What is the first movie to have a benign vampire in it? I'm not counting movies where there are people who have not been fully converted into a vampire. I remember the 1982 Richard Benjamin/Paula Prentiss parody Saturady the 14th, but I'm sure there were movies before that.

Good post, skimpole.

When you say "benign," do you mean "kind, caring" or do you mean "harmless?"

If the former, perhaps I'd add to your list:

1. Barnabus Collins in "Dark Shadows" (1966-71). He loved his gal, Vicky, and couldn't help that a curse had been put on him.

2. The Count's son, Herbert, in "The Fearless Vampire Killers" (1967), since he had the hots for Roman Polanski's character, Alfred, rather than (or in addition to) bloodlust.

*Grave of the Vampire* (1972). Bad vampire rapes woman in graveyard, infant suckles blood from his mother's breast, grows up to be good vampire, who want to stop his father's wicked ways.

Of course, there are sympathetic vampires, like Dracula's Daughter, but she's hardly benign!

*Son of Dracula* (1943) - Louis Allbritton's character invites Dracula to her home so she can become a vampire simply so she can pass that immortality on to the man she loves so they can live together forever. She's not evil at all...she does what she does so she can have the man she loves for all eternity. Even tells him how to destroy Dracula afterward.

George Hamilton was pretty benign in Love At First Bite. The only other person he bites besides Susan Saint James was that drunk guy, and we don't see him die. I don't know if he was the "first" benign, but he was the first one I ever saw.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings