Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben's Having A Guest Over Again Tonight!

hlywdkjk

What seems to be Ben's month-long house party continues tonight when CNN newsman Wolf Blitzer joins Mank to introduce the three films showing as part of the "American Politics On Film" Spotlight.

header

Photo Courtesy TimeWarner / E. Pio Roda

The two will discuss a night of "political skullduggery" found in *Advise And Consent*, *All The President's Men* and *Seven Days In May*.

http://www.timewarner.com/blog/posts/20121024-Wolf-Blitzer-Talks-TCM-Politics-on-Film/

Maybe Blitzer will return the favor and invite Ben to discuss politics in "The Situation Room" one day.

(Also, if one is a fan of William Castle, TCM Underground tonight premieres both a documentary on the filmmaker - *Spine Tingler: The William Castle Story* and the Castle film *Macabre*.)

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}What seems to be Ben's month-long house party continues tonight when CNN newsman Wolf Blitzer joins Mank to introduce the three films showing as part of the "American Politics On Film" Spotlight.

>

> (Also, if one is a fan of William Castle, TCM Underground tonight premieres both a documentary on the filmmaker - *Spine Tingler: The William Castle Story* and the Castle film *Macabre*.)

Good choice for a political evening co-host. I highly recommend that Castle documentary...it may be a TCM premiere, but the film itself is five years old. It's outstanding, though...everything you ever wanted to know about William Castle.

Wolf Blitzer "previewed" part of his TCM appearance during CNN's The Situation Room this afternoon with a clip from the discussion for *All The President's Men*. He shares with Ben an occasion when he, while White House correspondent used "the Woodward technique" to get confirmation of a very important fact/story. Fascinating. Even Ben was impressed.

Look for it tonight during the intro or outro for the Pakula film after *Advise and Consent*.

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Oct 26, 2012 6:43 PM

Ok, I just heard Mr. Blitzer's great story, and everyone should note that he said it was "A" Woodward/Bernstein technique, not just "The" Woodward Technique. This was ONE of the techniques that good reporters used in the old days and is still in use today.

That particular technique was to tell a government agent, who refused to comment about anything, that "I'm going to press with such and such information, and if I'm wrong I'll lose my job. You certainly wouldn't want me to lose my job, would you?"

The government agent thinks a few second and says, "You know I would not in any way want to be responsible for you losing your job. That is all I can say."

So, that usually works out to be a CONFIRMATION, by the government agent, that the reporter's information is indeed true and factual, but without the agent ever saying directly that the information is true or not true.

*"Ok, I just heard Mr. Blitzer's great story, and everyone should note that he said it was "A" Woodward/Bernstein technique, not just "The" Woodward Technique. This was ONE of the techniques that good reporters used in the old days and is still in use today."* - FCD

Thanks for the clarification, Fred. I apologize for getting it wrong.

This technique doesn't always work, as we saw in the movie where the guy was supposed to hang up the phone if the information was wrong, but he didn't hang up. Then later Bernstein said maybe the guy misunderstood his instructions and thought he said "hang on" rather than "hang up". :)

This is the best newspaper/reporter movie ever made.

>How about HIS GIRL FRIDAY, ACE IN THE HOLE, or IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT?Besides, isn't the '70s a little too recent for you?

What is great about this film is that it shows how real reporters really work and how investigative reporters dig for every scrap of information, and then they finally put all the scraps of information together to build a mosaic of an overall story.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings