Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Greatest movie monster of them all?

filmlover

While watching the Dracula films thiis morning, I wondered if he would be considered the greatest movie monster ever?

There are certainly many to choose from:

The Frankenstein Monster (hereafter referred to as just Frankenstein)

Dracula

The Mummy

The Wolfman

The Phantom of the Opera

The Creature form the Black Lagoon

King Kong

and so many, many more

Frankenstein certainly has a right to the title. Mostly out of respect.

Dracula. No movie monster (or the vampire, in general) has been in so many movies (and TV shows!)

The Mummy...no, it is hard to be afraid of a guy you can so easily get away from due to his limited walking ability. (Sigh, when he is instructed by somebody evil, who has ressurected him, to go across town to strangle an enemy...well, how did he get there so quickly and without someone seeing this shuffling corpse in white bandages?)

Phantom...possibility, but for pure evil, no, he is more sympathetic than anything.

Creature from the Black Lagoon - just wants to be loved.

King King - certainly could claim the title. How many monsters can rack up more kills just by stepping on them? Godzilla, maybe, and he could flame-broil them into tasty snacks.

Evil-wise, I would say that Dracula gets the title. But, dang, I have such an affection for Karloff's Frank. And big-wise, there is no one like Kong.

Who would YOU choose?

{font:Arial}Definitely the Frankenstein monster. I’ve heard many a tale from the elderly that the monster scared the crap out of them when they went to see it.{font}

{font:Arial} {font}

{font:Arial}The Mummy is the least scary as he can never catch up to anyone.

The Wolfman is scary, as is the creature. You have no control to get away.{font}

Well, I had a crush on Lugosi as Dracula and had a poster of him in my room - yes, I know, sad. So I have to go with Dracula as being the sexiest monster.

The scariest was Frankenstein's Monster (I can't call him just Frankenstein, sorry), especially with the scene of the child being thrown in the water. Is that still shown, I haven't watched the movie in ages?

King Kong affected me the most, since I hated that he was taken out of his environment for the greed of man and as a result died. I cried at the end. I know, silly, but what can I say.

In my era, Night of the Living Dead (now it's all the rage to be a zombie) scared me silly, but only on the first watch, and Alien also got my attention.

Nosferatu was no slouch, either.

King Kong scared me to death when I was a kid. My father loved movies and I was his pal to watch with. Two on a Guillotine was the scariest movie I can remember as a kid, besides King Kong. And then there was the local horror host, which at the time (circa 1965), was a little guy named "Feep", who wore a space suit and a light bulb head and often came out of a radio dial.

I think it would be a close race between the alien in *Alien* and *Jaws* Great white but my personal preference is the Great White in *Jaws* as those really exist. My nephew was completely terrified by that movie and I dont think he has ever swam in the ocean since.

Excellent and time-appropriate post!

"The Wolfman" -- I always felt sorry for him and cried when I was a kid. He was so sad and wanted so much to not be a wolf :(

"Dracula" -- When I was a kid, Bela put the scary on me for sure!

"Creature from the Black Lagoon" -- I admired him. It was the slimy guy that I wanted to die.

"The Mummy" -- Like someone else on here said, not scary because he moved too slowly.

"Night of the Living Dead" (1968) zombies -- Yeah, these are the ones that scared the bejesus out of me -- especially the little girl in the basement who ate her mom. (I still have nightmares about this 40+ years later.)

"Alien" -- I agree with others about this one. It was sooooo good. What happened to Ridley Scott that he now makes a pile of crap called "Prometheus?"

"Predator" -- OK, he was a spiteful, crafty, dirty-pool-playin' ****.

"The Devil's Backbone" (2001) -- when the little boy ghost peers into the keyhole, I jump every time.

"The Shining" (not the movie, which I do like because Shelley Duvall plays petrified better than just about anybody) -- I read the book in college in one sitting. So scared that I backed a chair into the corner so I could see what might be coming through the door and turned on every light in the apartment.

"The Haunting" (1963) -- hands down the scariest horror film ever made. That booming sound, the children's nursery (which looks a lot like a room in a Cardiff castle, BTW), and the inability to make a lot of sense out of it at a certain point, makes it a real gem IMHO.

Edited by: dpompper on Oct 27, 2012 3:54 PM

was a little guy named "Feep", who wore a space suit and a light bulb head and often came out of a radio dial.

That sounds scary in its own right!

dpompper: The Haunting doesn't sound like a movie I'd like to see, late at night.

Kairo (not its American remake Pulse), again, scared the beejeezus out of me.

I would say "Dracula" is the greatest monster of all time because he is based on the oldest myths pertaining to vampires that goes back centuries and is partly based on a real medieval monster Vlad the Impaler.

Because Dracula is a vampire, its the oldest screen monster, the first "Nosferatu" made in 1922. (well a vampire is a vampire) I think Nosferatu is the *ugliest* of them all.

Since you mentioned "King Kong", I don't know if you would be interested in this but there is documentary on tonight at 12 midnight (10-28) "Giganto: The Real King Kong" (2005) which explores the legend of a giant ape called giganto pithicus.

Edited by: hamradio on Oct 27, 2012 8:12 PM

Depends on what you mean by "greatest." I think that Frankenstein is the most iconic, therefore, probably the greatest.

As to scariest, I'd go with Alien in the first film. Honorable mention, the giant crabs in *Attack of the Crab Monsters*. They were giant, man-eating crabs, that were just out of synch with our dimension, so we couldn't harm them. And, when they ate someone, they absorbed their brain, and their memories. Then, they could speak telepathically in the 'voice' of those they'd eaten. Great concept, needs a good remake.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}Depends on what you mean by "greatest." I think that Frankenstein is the most iconic, therefore, probably the greatest.

I'll agree with that. Frankenstein's creation is not only part horror but also part science fiction (the artificial creation of life by scientific means), but the monster IS us, having been created from parts of us...humans...and doesn't turn out quite the way its creator expected, making it even more terrifying. The creator tries to improve upon us...and fails.

Movie monster?

Shelly Winters comes to mind! ;)

But seriously, that body jumping "ghost/soul" of a serial killer in Denzel Washington's *Fallen* is a pretty scary idea.

But as far as the "Greatest", I'd have to go with the majority( or so it seems) and say Frankentstein's monster.

Sepiatone

The original Frankenstein and Dracula films (both from 1931) should rank among the most-shown films of all time, and I'm reasonably sure they have been continuously distributed and viewed by audiences every year for the past 81 years, which should be a record for any movies.

I say this because I remember seeing these films in theaters, from the earliest memories of my childhood in the late 1940s, when these films were still being shown in big cities and small towns across the US, especially during every Halloween holiday time.

And when television came on line in the 1940s, these were to of the most frequently shown films, along with The Invisible Man, The Wolfman, The Mummy, and eventually Bride of Frankenstein and Son of Frankenstein, and several of the old Zombie movies.

Here are some advertisements for these films still being shown in theaters long after they were released:

http://beladraculalugosi.wordpress.com/the-1938-dracula-frankenstein-double-bill/

In my opinion, Dracula is the greatest movie monster because, unlike some of the other classic candidates like Frankenstein's Monster and The Wolfman, Dracula rarely gets presented in a manner that allows for any level of symphathy and, therefore, is a monster in the truest sense.

As for the scariest movie monster, I am in agreement with those who have mentioned the original "Alien". Personally, of the big three Science Fiction movies of the late seventies, I believe "Alien" holds up much better after 30 plus years than either "Star Wars" or "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

> {quote:title=LiamCasey wrote:}{quote}

>

>

>

>

> As for the scariest movie monster, I am in agreement with those who have mentioned the original "Alien". Personally, of the big three Science Fiction movies of the late seventies, I believe "Alien" holds up much better after 30 plus years than either "Star Wars" or "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

>

I really like CE3K, but could agree with your statement about ALIEN holding up the best. It has a really timeless feel to it. Bear in mind, though, that ALIEN is really just a big budget remake of the late 50's film IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE, made 20 years before.

The Wolfman is maybe most the "sympathetic" monster.. he usually is NOT a bad guy.. just a victim himself.. and possibly (to me) Dracula would be the most frightening.. maybe. (but I confess, I don't get into the "horror" genre too much.) I tend to prefer the "big giant monster" type of monster. ha. So for questions like this, I always think of King Kong first.. because he was sort of the 'standard setter" at least to me.. but of course, that is just my opinion.

But having said that, I must confess.. if I have to pick an all time favorite (and to me THAT would mean "greatest") I would have to choose Godzilla. Now there's a monster for you! Big, green..and somehow able to go from villian to hero depending on WHICH one of his movies you are watching. He's a "monster' for all seasons. :D

Dracula rarely gets presented in a manner that allows for any level of symphathy

You think?? Bela (there is only one Dracula) didn't choose to dreenk blood, he HAS to dreenk blood. The poor guy misses out on - I have to use it - all the giggle juices because he was born that way. As with Godzilla and King Kong, not so much for Frankie's Monster but definitely for Mrs. Monster, I felt sympathy for them.

Through no fault of their own, they were doomed from the get-go, mainly because man is a butt-in-ski. If left alone, King would still be alive today. If the world wasn't atomic bomb happy, Godzilla would still be a little lizard. And Bela, poor Bela, wouldn't have had to turn to the evils of the needle because Frankie's Monster unjustly stole the spotlight.

Yeah, I know I'm mixing them up, but I felt badly for both Dracula (I never dreenk vine) and Bela.

As to Alien, it does indeed Liam. They just had the director's cut on pay television, and after the very, very upsetting scene of the baby Alien coming out of Hurt's stomach (seeing that in a theater many years ago was a real treat), I had to turn off the movie. I couldn't remember if the cat got killed, and couldn't take a chance.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings