Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix to Groove Hard To!!!! Week of October 29th!!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix To Groove Hard To!!!! Week of October 29th!!!

First, a hearty shout out to a Sunday evening and night filled with groovy flix! Kicking the evening off with a Ray Harryhausen tribute: 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH (1957) with hunky William Hopper!! Next up, Hugh Marlowe is working it in EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS (1956), and finally FIRST MEN IN THE MOON (1964)!!! Silent Sunday features Lon Chaney in the horror classic, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925)!!! Followed by Peter Lorre in his signature classic, directed by Fritz Lang, M (1931)!! Peter Lorre shows up again in the wee hours, along with Raymond Massey, Faye Emerson, Alan Hale and the lovely Andrea King in HOTEL BERLIN (1945)!!

Monday daytime is a rockin' tribute to George Sanders, kicking it with ALLEGHENY UPRISING (1939) with The Duke, Claire Trevor and my main man Brian Donlevy!! Next up it's a few of Sanders' series flix, first with THE SAINT IN LONDON (1939), THE SAINT TAKES OVER (1940), and with Bela Lugosi himself in THE SAINT'S DOUBLE TROUBLE (1940)!!! Then as "The Falcon" in A DATE WITH THE FALCON (1941), THE FALCON'S BROTHER (1942), where hands off the ball to his bro, Tom Conway for the duration of the RKO series, and then backward a bit to THE GAY FALCON (1942)! I totally dig these mystery series, and Sanders does a great job, particularly as "The Saint"! Then George mixes it up with the lovely Norma Shearer in her final film appearance, HER CARDBOARD LOVER (1942), then it's war-time intrigue in the 1943 APPOINTMENT IN BERLIN, with Marguerite Chapman and Onslow Stevens, and latly a cold war agit-prop era flick, ASSIGNMENT-PARIS (1952), looks fun and frisky!!!

Monday nights have belonged to Spence all month as this month's Star of the Month, and this week will send him off in style with some of his later flix, including INHERIT THE WIND (1960), loosely based on the Scopes Monkey Trial, it pits Spence in courtroom battle with Frederic March, and also features a young Dick York!! Next up, it's the long and ponderous JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG (1961),, but man, if you can make it through, it contains some powerful performances, including that of Spence, Burt Lancaster, Monty Clift, Judy Garland, and tosses in Marlene Dietrich to boot!!! And though it's shown a zillion times on TCM, I have to shout out for GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER (1967), simply for a tour-de-force performance by Spence in his final role, as well as the poignancy conveyed by Katharine Hepburn, both for what is going on in the story and what must have been known behind the scenes!!

Tuesday daytime continues the final month's Spence tribute with three of his earlier powerful performances, including CASS TIMBERLANE (1947) with Lana Turner and Zachary Scott, followed by EDWARD, MY SON (1949) with Deborah Kerr and Ian Hunter, then it's Spence in another courtroom drama, a great one, in THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA (1951), with at O'Brien, John Hodiak, Eduardo Ciannelli, James Arness, and Jay C Flippen!! Finally, another elegiac peformance to close it out, THE LAST HURRAH (1958) with a fantastic supporting cast including Jeffrey Hunter, Basil Rathbone, Pat O'Brien, Donald Crisp, James Gleason, Edward Brophy, John Carradine, Jane Darwell, Ricardo Cortez, and Frank McHugh!!!! Great send-off to the great actor!!

TCM has been featuring a tribute to disability in film on Tuesday nights, with "The Projected Image" and this week features some groovy flix, including Lon Chaney his own bad self in THE UNKNOWN (1927), followed by Tod Browning's FREAKS (1932), and Karloff in the Val Lewton classic, BEDLAM (1946)!!!

TCM is totally rockin' it for Halloween, with a 24 hour tribute to classic horror!!! My groovalicious highlights included the 7:30AM EST screening of Karloff in THE GHOUL (1933), then Bela gets into the act at 4pm EST in the low-budget THE DEVIL BAT (1940), followed by the first, and arguably best, zombie flick, WHITE ZOMBIE (1932), a film you have to see if you haven't already, with Lugosi featured as the zombie master, Murder Legrende!!! Next up, Bela, in a small but pivotal role, teams up with Karloff in the Val Lewton horror masterpiece, THE BODY SNATCHER (1945)!!! Then it's an evening of Universal horror in primetime, kicking it off with Karloff and Colin Clive in the 1931 classic, FRANKENSTEIN, followed by Karloff in the final appearance as "The Monster" and Bela Lugosi rockin' it as Ygor, along with Basil Rathbone and my main man, Lionel Atwill, in the 1939 SON OF FRANKENSTEIN!!! Next Bela with the small role again, this time with Lon Chaney, Jr, and the lovely Evelyn Ankers, and Claude Rains in THE WOLFMAN (1941)!!! Karloff, the Uncanny, in one of his most powerful performances in THE MUMMY (1932), with the gorgeous Zita Johann, my main man Edward Van Sloan, David Manners and Arthur Byron, you have to see this one to believe it, especially one of the creepiest scenes in all of horror within the first 5 minutes of this flick!!! Then it's Wally Ford, Dick Foran and Peggy Moran (along with Cecil Kellaway) in a horror/comedy THE MUMMY'S HAND (1940)!!! Followed by the 1932 pre-code chiller ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1933), the only entry from the evening not from Universal, but Paramount, featuring Charles Laughton, Richard Arlen, and the lovely Leila Hyams!!! Wrapping it up is the wickedly delightful insanity of Claude Rains in the lead of THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933), along with the gorgeous Gloria Stuart!!! Wow what a way to celebrate Halloween!!! Dig it, TCM!!!

Thursday night is groovin' it with a night of Rogue Cops, and I'm rockin' to the Fritz Lang noir scorcher THE BIG HEAT (1953) with Glenn Ford, sexy Gloria Grahame and Lee Marvin!!! 11:45pm EST, noir heavy hitters Mitch and Robert Ryan mix it up in THE RACKET (1951) also starring William Conrad, Lizabeth Scott, and "Perry Mason" regulars William Talman and Ray Collins!!!

Burt Lancaster fans will be dancing in the streets during the daytime on Friday, with a full block of his flix, the grooviest to me will be the morning kick off with the gritty prison noir, BRUTE FORCE (1947) a man's man flick with Charles Bickford, Whit Bissel, and Hume Cronyn as a sadistic prison guard!!! Woah!

Saturday morning is rockin' and rollin' with Eddie G in fine form in CONFESSIONS OF A NAZI SPY (1939) with George Sanders, Francis Lederer, and Paul Lukas!!! Next up, it's Peter Lorre in an early noir, STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR (1940)!!! The noon series flick will be kicking off "The Saint" series, this time with Louis Hayward in a surprisingly violent flick with a twist ending and also an interesting one for its time, THE SAINT IN NEW YORK (1938) with Kay Sutton, Sig Ruman and Jack Carson!!

Saturday night features the radiantly beautiful Merle Oberon, and I'll be groovin' hard to a flick that Sans Fin recommended to me a couple weeks ago, thankfully airing again, THE DIVORCE OF LADY X (1938)!!! Wee hours will find Merle hanging with Frederic March and Herbert Marshall in THE DARK ANGEL (1935)!!!

Sunday I'll be grooving to Ann Sothern and Lee Bowman in GOLD RUSH MAISIE (1940), and at Noon, MUSIC FOR MILLIONS (1944) with Jimmy Durante, Margaret O'Brien, and Hugh Herbert!! Sunday night the Silent Sunday feature is, OMG, PANDORA'S BOX (1929) with **** Louise Brooks!!!! Yowza!!!!!

Thank you, TCM, for yet another week filled with classic grooves!!! You rock the house!!

Edited because I got my Monday and Tuesday mixed up a couple of times!! :)

If the creeks don't rise tomorrow, mark, I am very much looking forward to finally seeing George Sanders.

Did you catch today's running of Hobson's Choice? By gum, it were a right rum movie. Perfect casting, and not a complaint to be had.

Well, enjoy the rest of the day, not enough classically classic for my taste.

This evening's science fiction will surely get all groovin' ! I love this type of movie which does not ask anything of the viewer but to sit back and take it all in.

I like George Sanders very much and so Monday will be a treat. The only bad thing is that I see they have not corrected the blurb for: *The Saint in London* (1939). I do not understand why they put his first movie as the Falcon as the last of the three Falcon movies they are airing.

I am shamed to say that there are some movies on Wednesday which I have never seen. I will surely correct that!

On Thursday is: *7 Faces of Dr. Lao* (1964) which is one of my guilty pleasures. It is a joy to see Tony Randall being so eccentric.

I may watch *Wuthering Heights* (1939) as I have recently read Lakshmi Krishnan's essay: Vampiric Selves and Gothic Doubleness in Wuthering Heights and it has given me an insight which had eluded me.

I surely do hope you do watch *The Divorce Of Lady X* (1938) on Saturday evening! It is a joy to see a confident and suave serious actor as befuddled and naive in a light comedy. I hope you are truly prepared to get your groove on!

Thanks again, mark.

The creeks didn't rise here and FIOS held all day, and it was a perfect day for a George Sanders marathon. Wish they included Foreign Correspondent, but oh well, can't have it all.

Although they never did explain how The Saint got from Chesham Mews to New Yawk City, of course to a lovely pad, although with a poor imitation of Keye Luke. Wendy Barrie, btw, was top notch. See the scene with she and the sugar bowl. Excellent. I can't believe she is buried in Westchester county.

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:

> }{quote}TCM Flix To Groove Hard To!!!! Week of October 29th!!!

>

>

> It's war-time intrigue in the 1943 APPOINTMENT IN BERLIN, with Marguerite Chapman and Onslow Stevens.

>

Groovin' to this one...the highlight of the day for me, as I've never seen it before, and indeed I'm pretty sure it's never been on TCM before (and anyway I'm always up for any vintage Columbia flicks!)

Watch for the actor who plays the father of George Sanders' character...it's George's real father (in the only movie he ever made)!

Thanks, TCM, for including this one for George Sanders Day, adding a little variety to all the familiar (but good) "Saint" and "Falcon" films that have been on so many times before.

I agree, musicalnovelty!!! I also really dug APPOINTMENT TO BERLIN! I agree, it was cool to see George in a flick I've not seen before, as well as some of the familiar faves!

I have to say, of the Saint and Falcon flix, I found George best in The Saint film series! He is good in The Falcon series, but for some reason I see his bro Tom as the main man in that one and the one who came to own the role once it was passed off to him. The Saint was frankly also a better series, or at least not as uneven as The Falcon series, IMHO, but I do dig them both!

I hope all remember to watch: *The Saint In New York* (1938) this morning. I believe it is the first movie of the series and it is of a much stronger flavor than those which followed. It has Louis Hayward as a much more hard-bitten, cynical and pragmatic Simon Templar than George Sanders' portrayals.

I hope also that all will watch: *The Divorce Of Lady X* (1938) tonight. It is not an important and socially significant movie which will raise your awareness of deeply troubling moral issues. It is a fun romp with the usually stoic and powerful Laurence Olivier as a befuddled mess because of the intrusion of a mere wisp of a girl into his life. The wonderful performances by Merle Oberon, Binnie Barnes, Ralph Richardson and Morton Selten add greatly to the fun.

Hot dog, a chronological compendium of the Saint movies for the next few weeks at noon on Saturday!

Who knew? Where's the banner on the TCM home page, along with those of Constance Bennett and the odious, despicable, no talent bum Tom Cruise, who is as classic as @@@@@@@@@.

If not for SansFin and Benny, I never would have known.

Rock on, Saint fans.

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

> Hot dog, a chronological compendium of the Saint movies for the next few weeks at noon on Saturday!

It is unfortunate that *The Saint's Girl Friday* (1953) is missing from the schedule. It is one in which Louis Hayward returned to the role. I believe TCM has never aired it.

> the odious, despicable, no talent bum Tom Cruise, who is as classic as

I believe the homepage banner is for the TCM Cruise and not for the "actor". ;)

>

>

>

>

> Saturday night features the radiantly beautiful Merle Oberon, and I'll be groovin' hard to a flick that Sans Fin recommended to me a couple weeks ago, thankfully airing again, THE DIVORCE OF LADY X (1938)!!! Wee hours will find Merle hanging with Frederic March and Herbert Marshall in THE DARK ANGEL (1935)!!!

>

>

>

>

According to the schedule, it looks like there is a short called *THROTTLE PUSHERS* in the middle of *THE DARK ANGEL.* What's the deal? I see it on the schedule on site and on my TV guide.

> {quote:title=sewannie wrote:}{quote}

> According to the schedule, it looks like there is a short called *THROTTLE PUSHERS* in the middle of *THE DARK ANGEL.* What's the deal? I see it on the schedule on site and on my TV guide.

I believe it is not in the middle. The change in time due to setting the clocks back make it appear the previous movie has a much shorter time slot than is real.

OOPS! What time is it? Time to get new glasses! :) The sentiment still stands but sorry, TCM.

Still and all, SansFin, if not for your note, I never would have known it was on, so thank you. What a charming little movie and what a much more handsome, and sexy, Saint Heyward made than Sanders!

Lots of guys in the first one were also in the latter movies, yes?

Sorry about Saint's Girl Friday, I am sure I would have enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed this gem.

Any idea why Hayward left?

Thanks again, SF.

P.S. Color me embarrassed, after all this time I never knew that he was called the Saint because he was named *S*imon *T*emplar. Doh.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}I hope all remember to watch: *The Saint In New York* (1938) this morning. I believe it is the first movie of the series and it is of a much stronger flavor than those which followed. It has Louis Hayward as a much more hard-bitten, cynical and pragmatic Simon Templar than George Sanders' portrayals.

>

>

Wow, Sans Fin, I"m sorry I missed your comment in this thread about Hayard, I totally agree with your assessment and this flick remains my favorite in the series, though I do think Sanders does quite well in the role as well (better than "The Falcon" IMHO). But yeah, this one with Hayward...man it totally rocked! I still have it on the DVR to watch, probably tonight!!

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

> ST from Simon Templar? Color me stupid, I never knew that before.

The novels place him in a group known as The Saints because of the good work they did. It is so long since I read them that I do not remember them saying the moniker was from his initials. I do remember that two of the movies state that he has a Cross-shaped scar on his wrist.

> I asked but was never answered on why Hayward left.

I do not know whether he left or whether he was not chosen to be the lead when the decision was made to make a series based on the character. He did return to the role for at least one movie after the Sanders series.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> > I"m sorry I missed your comment in this thread about Hayard, Does this mean you missed: *The Divorce of Lady X* (1938) again also?

Oh! No, I did catch that this time around, it was fun stuff! Thank you very much for your recommendation!!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings