Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Unknown

rosebette

I just finished watching The Unknown, which was one weird movie, although Lon Chaney was excellent. I felt as if something was missing from the film and that it ended too abruptly. I wonder if parts of the film were actually missing.

Also, I read up on the movie, and it described Nanon's revulsion toward men's hands as being neurotic. I actually thought there was an implication early in the film that she was either sexually abused or perhaps "pimped" by her father, and that might be the reason for her fears. Did anyone else pick that up?

> {quote:title=rosebette wrote:}{quote}

> I just finished watching The Unknown, which was one weird movie, although Lon Chaney was excellent. I felt as if something was missing from the film and that it ended too abruptly. I wonder if parts of the film were actually missing.

>

> Also, I read up on the movie, and it described Nanon's revulsion toward men's hands as being neurotic. I actually thought there was an implication early in the film that she was either sexually abused or perhaps "pimped" by her father, and that might be the reason for her fears. Did anyone else pick that up?

>

I watched this excellent film a few weeks ago on TCM when it was aired late a night...

Great stuff... Glad to see TCM air it again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unknown_%281927_film%29

The Wiki article above states that some scenes are missing from the film prints available today...

As for Nanon's phobia about being touched by men, yes, could be result of being sexually abused in past by her father or men in general. Of course, the real meaning is sexual and not the hands of men she is worried about. So "armless" (meaning eunuch) Alonzo appeals to her and is her friend.

'Tho he ain't really armless. No more of plot from me.

Read here if you wish:

http://www.filmmasterjournal.com/2011/06/silent-film-marathon-20-unknown-1927.html

Alas, allot of THE UNKNOWN is missing. At least two full reels. Some additional footage may have been uncovered by Fernando Pena' in Argentina, Part of a 16 Millimeter Safety print struck decades ago that was found a few years back. However, it has not been reinstated into the TCM/Warner version of the film as of yet.

I wish TCM had aired THE PENALTY (1920) instead for this months Disability Festival. Makes a good deal more sense as the selection. The good thing is THE PENALTY was just released on Blu-ray and is on the TCM January schedule.

Yes, this is more a horror film...

Suppose you could argue about it being a "disability" film... Nanon's mental health issue, Alonzo's "armless" man, etc....

Just though it suitable for Halloween and forgot about disability theme...

"The Penalty" a good film too...But Chaney's character not a very sympathetic portrayal of a disabled person: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Penalty_%28film%29

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings