Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"M" and "Hotel Berlin" scheduling - That's going to be one crowded hotel!

AndyM108

I just noticed that tonight's scheduled running time for *"M"* is 111 minutes, but that the time allocated by TCM for it is only 105 minutes, from 2:45 AM to 4:30 AM. This is both in the online schedule and in the Now Playing guide.

The next movie, Hotel Berlin, is 98 minutes, and it's also given 105 minutes, from 4:30 AM to 6:15 AM. That makes 210 minutes of allowed scheduling for 209 minutes worth of movies, which is tight enough as it is. But with the break coming well before the end of the first movie, it's a nightmare for someone wanting to record both movies on separate tracks.

Seems to me something's gotta give.

If anyone out there (or Up There) has any idea what's going on here, I'd sure love to know.

Other than staying up all night, the best I can recommend right now is to check any program guide for your cable provider or satellite system. Those sources are often the most up to date and are often accurate with "last minute" changes in scheduling.

But what length is it really? From the IMDb:

>117 min | 110 min (2004 Criterion DVD edition) | France:118 min | Germany: *105 min (2000 restored version)* | Germany:108 min (re-release) | USA:99 min

Best thing to do in a situation like that is to set your DVR to record the first film, but record two hours past that. Then, you will get both films complete, and unbroken.

But what length is it really? From the IMDb:

> 117 min | 110 min (2004 Criterion DVD edition) | France:118 min | Germany: *105 min (2000 restored version)* | Germany:108 min (re-release) | USA:99 min

Best thing to do in a situation like that is to set your DVR to record the first film, but record two hours past that. Then, you will get both films complete, and unbroken.

That's what I'll probably do, though that makes little sense, since when TCM showed +M+ in November of 2010 they ran the 111 minute version. Why would they switch back to the short version this time, and not note it in any of their schedules?

And of course if they do show the full version, which I fully expect that they will, and then have a normal break, then Hotel Berlin will run well past its scheduled ending time. I may just play to total paranoia and record straight through from 2:30 to 6:30, which allows 15 minutes extra on both sides of the schedule.

And again, I question why someone out there in TCM doesn't pick up on things like this and make a prominently displayed correction, either in the running time of the movie or in the time slots of the schedule. It's not as if it's the end of the world, but it's still kind of sloppy and casual.

Annoying, isn't it? Must be a Peter Lorre curse thing going on. Maybe a year-and-a-half ago, Lorre's FACE BEHIND THE MASK was scheduled for a morning airing but I noted here at least two weeks ahead of time that two films before it were not going to fit the time period allotted.

Nothing, not a word, the bumpers listed the sked as listed on the monthly page and a friend who was making a DVD for me went with the listed time and lost part of the film owing to last minute reshuffling and the slot time revised.

Fortunately I happened to be awake and at least saw the film, but it hasn't aired since and I sure wish it would as it's not on home video.

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}

>

> And again, I question why someone out there in TCM doesn't pick up on things like this and make a prominently displayed correction, either in the running time of the movie or in the time slots of the schedule. It's not as if it's the end of the world, but it's still kind of sloppy and casual.

Of course I have also pondered that question. My guess is that, since there are often various published running times for older films, that TCM has gotten bad info about the running time. Whether that is because they look up the running time somewhere, or they are given a wrong running time by their source, I don't know. I do know that sometimes it goes the other way. TCM may list a longer running time than the actual running time. Of course, that is less problematic.

I have also noticed that even some DVD releases list an inaccurate running time on the box. When in doubt, if there is a Criterion release, go with their running time. They do the best, most complete, restorations. They are sort of the third face of Janus Films, where TCM gets some of their films.

I wound up just recording straight through from 2:30 to 6:30, to cover all the possibilities. Turns out that M+ started as scheduled at 2:45, but Hotel Berlin didn't begin until 4:37. seven minutes after it was supposed to. As I suspected, M+ was the full-length Janus / Criterion version, and it ran well past its alloted time on the schedule.

Here's my updated thought: TCM only had between 2:45 and 6:15 to allot to the two movies, which gave it just enough total time to squeeze them both in. But TCM also much prefers listing the starting time for feature films at :00, :15, :30 or :45. And when the only way to fit those movies in was by starting the second one at 4:37, they simply chose not to be that precise in their listing. Ideally they would have listed Hotel Berlin at 4:37 instead of 4:30, and everything would have added up.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings