Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM schedule links movie to wrong DVD...sometimes with hilarious results

LsDoorMat

I thought that the DVD of "The Last Hurrah" (1958) starring Spencer Tracy was out of print, so I was delighted to see on the schedule that the little DVD tag was shown indicating that at least TCM shoppe had it in stock. I clicked and found that it was linked to a 2009 movie of the same name with the following description:

"A diverse group of philosophy students, aspiring prophets, and drug-addled hipsters come together for one wild night in "The Last Hurrah" (2009). Set at a graduation party in Los Angeles, the story revolves around three best friends who share the same problem - women. The stage is set for a blowout bash that will end their college careers in style. The witty comedy, directed by Jonathan W. Stokes, stars Zack Bennett, David Wachs, and Jon Weinberg. "

Not exactly Spencer Tracy material, plus he'd been dead for over 40 years by 2009.

I've seen this happen a lot, so apparently TCM automatically links their scheduled movie titles to the DVD of the most recent film of the same name that they sell, I suppose as a labor saving device for their webmasters?

Although not through TCM, I ran across a similar problem trying to find a copy...ANY copy( VHS, DVD) of the Canadian film *Silent Partner* with Eliot Gould and Christopher Plummer only to be sent to Amazon to be offered both a horror movie and obscure Canadian comedy, both with the same title! So apparently movie titles aren't copywrited, just as song titles.

Finally found what I was looking for on eBay.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> Although not through TCM, I ran across a similar problem trying to find a copy...ANY copy( VHS, DVD) of the Canadian film *Silent Partner* with Eliot Gould and Christopher Plummer only to be sent to Amazon to be offered both a horror movie and obscure Canadian comedy, both with the same title! So apparently movie titles aren't copywrited, just as song titles.

>

> Finally found what I was looking for on eBay.

>

>

> Sepiatone

>

Another non-TCM story. For a long time I'd been looking for a pressed copy of the Roan release of the 1931 film "Svengali". Finally one showed up used on Amazon at non-scalper prices. I bought it and instead received a 1983 film by the same name starring Jodie Foster. I demanded a refund. The Amazon marketplace seller was very un-apologetic and even snooty and said they would if I returned their movie. I glady fulfilled their request, at their expense of course.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings