Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Calling all experts on actors who died young in the 1930s:

eebyo

My deep thanks in advance. You'll need to be an expert because I've forgotten ALL relevant clues: names, titles, exact year. Here's what I recall:

A leading man in a romcom of the early/mid 1930s (~1932-37) plays one of those guys who just waltzes into the parlor of a much wealthier family, perhaps because he is a newspaper reporter or a detective. He has a wonderful breezy manner that's not typical of the '30s, more like the young Alan Alda in a later decade, and he has the same dark hair but is probably not as tall. I think he gets the girl in the end, but I cannot even remember the girl (Loretta? Ginger? Claudette? anybody? not Katharine). He may have had Broadway credits before appearing in this movie, which was either his first or second.

Sometime very shortly before or after release of the movie, the actor died, I believe of a sudden illness. It was not a suicide or a sensational death.

Who was that guy?

Bingo! That was impressively fast - I didn't catch Williams in Plat'm Blonde, but in the Constance Bennett movie. He's definitely the guy. Even w/o a photo I recognize the description and the circumstances of his illness and death in 1931 (I'd guessed it was later). I also remember that his name was just ordinary enough to slip my mind.

Thank you. Maybe Robert O. has a prize for you? You earned it. Good night!

You're welcome. :)

I haven't seen Williams in anything but *Platinum Blonde* but your description made me think of him. His manner and acting style were definitely unique. I want to eventually check out the few other films he made.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings