Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

disabiity films

anhedoni3

I like the movie "Mandy" (1952) TCM aired about a week ago. Parents really had issues dealing with their deaf at birth child. I've never seen or heard of this British film before.

I listened to the doctor remarks about Mandy not having the auditory nerve developing and connecting before she was born. I found out even if she was born *today* a cochlear implant wouldn't work in this case but she did needed special schooling ASAP which she received almost too late.

P1011594.jpg

I liked that one, too. But I thought the whole "doctor gets involved with the Mom" plot detracted from the effect of the rest of it.

The little girl Mandy Miller was very good - I wondered if she really was deaf, but no info I can find on her says she was.

It was nice to see an original British print of the movie on TCM. In the USA it was released under a different title, "Crash of Silence".

> {quote:title=anhedoni3 wrote:}{quote}I just wanted to thank TCM for the Disabled Films series and discussions. It was very much needed in these times.

I searched and can't seem to find that existing thread (a long one too) about the disabilities series TCM ran.

EDIT: Just found it:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8687433

Wonder why TCM didn't show more Lon Chaney silents???? Almost all of Chaney's films featured a disablity of one kind or another. At the very least they could have shown THE PENALTY which could have been a companion piece to THE UNKNOWN which they did show.

How about Pirate films like TREASURE ISLAND??? There were always pirates in Pirate films hobling around with either a peg leg or swinging a mean hook. I mean, as long as you're got to show films highlighting disabilities, why not???

Finally why didn't TCM include FREAKS which ran the gamut of disabilities?

*FREAKS* was shown immediately after *THE UNKNOWN.* In fact, the guest said that *FREAKS* was on his short list of movies that he considered for the series. By "short list," he ranked it with *THE MIRACLE WORKER* and *THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES,* so obviously he considers it an important film. (Me too, as you might guess from my moniker.)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings