Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Leading men


smitty1931
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

RT was lovely, indeed. However, I lean more toward Olivier in "Wuthering Heights," Newman in "The Long Hot Summer," Grant in "Suspicion," Gable in "GWTW," Melvyn Douglas in "Blandings," Jourdan in "Madame Bovary," Lancaster in "From Here to Eternity," Brando in "Streetcar," Rains and Bogart in "Casablanca," Terence Stamp in "Far from the Madding Crowd," Peck in "Mockingbird," and Mitchum in everything!

 

 

I'm sure there are MANY more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

 

 

Nice topic for those of us stressing about Sandy. Thanks, smitty!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

There were a lot of "leading men" who were handsome. There were also many good looking guys who never made the leading man status. Both the young Robert Wagner and George Hamilton were very good looking, but never quite reached the same level of "leading man" territory as did the others mentioned here, for whatever reasons.

 

 

Someone had a thread about GUY MADISON, another handsome gent, who never made it big in that category. John Derek is another. It's hard to tell just what the public will gravitate to.

 

 

My wife, for example, said over the years her taste in "leading men" changed regularily. From Warren William to William Powell. Then Clark Gable to William Holden. Over the years she said she had attractions to Gilbert Roland, Kirk Douglas, Robert Ryan, James Garner, Paul Newman, Robert Redford, David MacCullum, Tommy Lee Jones and George Clooney. As of now, I think it's Gerard Butler, but I haven't checked with her this morning! ;)

 

 

It makes me worry as to where *I* fit into all of this...

 

 

Sepiatone

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}This is gonna sound strange, and he's not considered a 'leading man' in any respect, but...

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> About 7 years ago I heard an actress say on a dvd commentary that virtually every other actress she knows has an inexplicable desire to sleep with Steve Buscemi when they meet or work with him. She said it's kind of a universal phenomenon.

>

Has anyone seen *Trees Lounge* ? Steve Buscemi wrote, directed, and starred in it. He's actually kind sexy in it, in a weird way.

He's got the attractive/repulsive syndrome. Ok, maybe "repulsive" 90% of the time, but that remaining 10%...what a guy !

 

Either way, he's a good actor, and often very funny ( intentionally, I mean.) I like a lot of the films he's been in. (Besides *Trees Lounge*, he's also kind of sort of attractive in *Ghost World*.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

*There were a lot of "leading men" who were handsome. There were also many good looking guys who never made the leading man status. Both the young Robert Wagner and George Hamilton were very good looking, but never quite reached the same level of "leading man" territory as did the others mentioned here, for whatever reasons.*

 

*Someone had a thread about GUY MADISON, another handsome gent, who never made it big in that category. John Derek is another. It's hard to tell just what the public will gravitate to.*

 

The term "leading man" is here used as synonymous to "star", which they were not. All of these men WERE Leading Men...what they may or may not have been were Stars, actually, Wagner, Madison and Derek did make it from leading men to the ranks of stars, if only among a teenage contigent and/or for an abbreviated period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

<*For starters, you should at least be able to act your way out of a paper bag, which Madison and Derek could not do.*

 

While this may preclude one from getting respect, it most certainly did not from achieving stardom.>

 

 

Moreover, how many guys of advanced age do you know who can get a **** like Bo??

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Robert Taylor was very handsome but I think there are other that are good to, such as:

 

 

Joel Mcrea, young Jimmy Stewart, young Jack Lemmon, Robert Walker, Albert Finney, and even Bobby Darin from his short life. Come to think of it I think Monty Cliff and Robert Taylor look similar.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...