Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

God in film

Sepiatone

Surfing around yesterday, I came across Steve Corell's *Evan Almighty* in which Morgan Freeman reprises his role as the big Kahuna from the earlier Jim Carrey flick. And it made me wonder...

Off the top of my head, I can only come up with just Freeman, and George Burns who have played the part of God in any movies. Were there more?

And WHO were they?

Sepiatone

Strangely enough, an IMDB character search for God only turns up George Burns and one other person. Odd there aren't more results on IMDB for a God character search.

Note: Any such examples given here should also include voice-only performances...such as in The Next Voice You Hear, and in The Ten Commandments (1956), in which Charlton Heston himself voices God in at least one scene ("He revealed His word to my mind").

> {quote:title=SonOfUniversalHorror wrote:}{quote}

> Strangely enough, an IMDB character search for God only turns up George Burns and one other person. Odd there aren't more results on IMDB for a God character search.

I had to do an IMDB.com search as I did not remember how to spell Aldo Giuffr?'s name or know the acceptable English translation of the name of the movie in which he played God.

It was easy for me to find this page:

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0026790/

It lists three-hundred-and-fifty roles. It includes many television shows but many of the listings are for movies.

Last year I started a thread about the religous TV anthology Insight, produced by Paulist Priest Ellwood (Bud) Kieser. I remember a few episodes featuring god as a character. The two actors I recall playing God as a character are Bob Newhart and Martin Sheen. (I haven't seen this show since 1994 so my memories of it are kind of foggy. I wish a religous channel would pick it up.)

Okay it's TV. Sue me.

h4. Variations on a Theme

I had posted a blog yesterday about the protrayal of Christ in the movies, and concluded that Jesus would look more like Omar Sharif with facial hair.. Max Von Sydow is a very gentle soul, but also very scandinavian looking.

It's interesting to me how often God isn't shown but through the effects of a burning bush or the He speaks through others (the young lad in Quo Vadis comes to mind).

> {quote:title=casablancalover2 wrote:}{quote}

> It's interesting to me how often God isn't shown but through the effects of a burning bush or the He speaks through others

I will surely go to Hell for this:

God walked with Adam in the Garden.

He spoke in His own voice to the Patriarchs.

He sent His Son as a messenger.

He gave Joseph Smith a book.

Will His next communication be by e-mail or Twitter?

I forgot about Rex Ingram. Thanks for the reminder.

Never heard of Aldo whatever OR the movie.

Zeus doesn't count.

And I eventually recalled ALANIS MORRISETTE doing the role in *Dogma* .

If we're to include "voice-overs", then find out which Python provided the Almighty's voice for that animated God in "HOLY GRAIL".

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

>

> It was easy for me to find this page:

> http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0026790/

> It lists three-hundred-and-fifty roles. It includes many television shows but many of the listings are for movies.

I started on the IMDB homepage and chose a Character search for God, and didn't get the results you did. Probably would have been better to go to a specific movie page like Oh God and click on the character name to get the link you did.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings