Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

INFERNAL AFFAIRS??

Hibi

I just noticed this 2002 film is on later tonight. Is this a record for the most recently released film airing on TCM? I dont mind films from the 70s or even 80s but a 10 year old Asian film that's already a classic? (at first I thought it was misspelled and they were talking about Internal Affairs a cop film Richard Gere starred in, I think back in the 90s........) HOW did this get on the schedule???

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}I just noticed this 2002 film is on later tonight. Is this a record for the most recently released film airing on TCM? I dont mind films from the 70s or even 80s but a 10 year old Asian film that's already a classic? (at first I thought it was misspelled and they were talking about Internal Affairs a cop film Richard Gere starred in, I think back in the 90s........) HOW did this get on the schedule???

Hey Hibi, those cows from the Hedren thread showed up at my door last night wanting goodies...

I let them help themselves... It was a very moooing experience... ;)

Canucks ain't getting "Infernal Affairs."

We getting "The Money Trap" instead: http://www.tcm.com/schedule/canada/

AND WE AIN'T GETTING THE SHORT "H.M.S. Bounty Sails Again!" from 1962 about the recently sunk vessel (courtesy of Hurricane Sandy)... It's scheduled at 5:16 a.m. Friday.

Outrageous considering that the replica HMS Bounty was built in Canada!!

And that the short film is about the ship visiting American AND CANADIAN ports... Oh well...

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> Is this a record for the most recently released film airing on TCM?

Past schedules have included:

The Clay Bird (2002)

Ritual (2002)

Spirited Away (2002)

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003)

Rana's Wedding (2003)

I'm Not Scared (2004)

The Band's Visit (2007)

Shotgun Stories (2007)

Trouble the Water (2008)

Don't Expect Too Much (2011)

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> Unbelieveable. Anything goes now, I guess.....

We have the published schedules dating from August, 2005 to October, 2012. Twenty movies in that time have dates of 2000 and newer. This represents less than 00.2% of the movies scheduled. I believe the majority of them have been part of Februarys' Oscar tribute.

I do not mind an infrequent newer movie which the programmers feel is relevant. I do not mind *Infernal Affairs* (2002) as it is a good movie which is more than its genre and it is not easily available elsewhere.

I hope you find time to watch it as it is not a movie which should be judged by its blurb. The acting and sensibilities are on a par with older classic movies.

*"Past schedules have included: The Band's Visit (2007)"* - SansFin

Thanks for posting that. *The Band's Visit* was the film that I was thinking was the most recent to ever appear on TCM. (Four Years - 2007 to 2011) It was shown last summer during the "Arab Images In Film" event. (And it got a "thumbs up" from FredCDobbs!)

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}No justice, is there? I'm glad you treated the cows. One of my favorite animals (not too bright, but sweet and they give milk!).........

No problems, Hibi... BBC has the full-length "H.M.S. Bounty Sails Again!" here:

http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/gallery/clip/132007_s09.do

So I ain't missing anything... If Americans don't want to catch it at 5:16 a.m. Friday, you can view it at the BBC link above (7 minutes and change)...

This is the same H.M.S. Bounty that sank during Hurricane Sandy recently...

As for the cows, they seemed very lively last night...

No milk for me 'tho... They wanted me to suck their teats... No thanks...

As for "Infernal Affairs," who knows? Maybe Martin Scorsese leaned on somebody at TCM??

Maybe it was part of some package deal for other classic films they arranged for??

Why not send some bigwig at TCM an email and ask??

There are plenty of genuinely great films made in the 2000s, as certifiably great as anything made in the prior 100 years, that I don't think need 40 years of aging and wouldn't show up on any other channel. In SansFin's post, only Lord of the Rings makes the round on other stations, you won't see the others anywhere...and most of them wouldn't interest the average person flipping through the channels, so I highly doubt money or audience appeal has anything to do with it.

But instead of a repeat of Infernal Affairs, I'd rather TCM finally schedule a film by the greatest Chinese filmmaker (and arguably the greatest living filmmaker) - Hou Hsiao-Hsien.

****. You passed up teat sucking??? Those poor cows. The milk will turn sour now. I'm not that interested (or inflamed) to inquire of TCM why they are showing such recent films. It seems most are not general release type pictures and are tied to some event.......

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}LOL. In reference to an earlier post of his in this thread, which was cross referenced in another thread (about the cows coming home) in the Hitchcock/Hedren thread. I got it though................

Thanks, Hibi... Yes, just an inside joke between moi and Madame Hibi...

Shows how addicted to this message board I am when I start making inside remarks like that...

Gag was referring to arguing until the cows come home about the Hitchcock/Hedren business in another thread...

But where do the cows go when they aren't at home?

Some were trick or treatin' at my place Halloween... N'yuk- n'yuk-n'yuk!

So there you have it... Pathetic, isn't it... ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings