Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy Halloween!

RMeingast

Happy Halloween to all on the message board...

Neat Halloween postcards like the one below (all in public domain) available at this website for the

"The Public Domain Review" (this project features images and other works that have entered the public domain and have fallen out of copyright and so are free to use

http://publicdomainreview.org/about/ ):

4056412404_d61117a993_o.jpg

This image is in the public domain.

Well, it was cold and drizzling this Halloween in my neck of the woods. So we still have about 80% of the candy we bought for the beggar's.

Due to the high winds because of Sandy, the decorations a guy down the street put up wound up distributed on the front lawns of the rest of us on the block. This will probably be the last year I do this stuff. Smaller bags of candy selling for higher prices to pass out to kids that don't go "trick or treating" anymore is just senseless.

Thanks to urban legend, pedophile paranoia and just lazy parents, what used to be a "traditional" Halloween is all but dead and gone. Plus the introduction of "non-threatening" Halloween decorations so the children don't get "scared".

Sepiatone

>Thanks to urban legend, pedophile paranoia and just lazy parents, what used to be a "traditional" Halloween is all but dead and gone.

Where I live, we have several different races and ethnic groups that naturally scare each other at Halloween time, especially at night. So quite a lot of kids here dress up in costumes and their parents take them to the local mall, and the stores give them candy.

Everybody usually gets along just fine during the day and out of costume, but there is something about Halloween that spooks a lot of people, so they just take their kids to the mall. :)

There is one ethnic group here that has its own police department, and their policemen will actually investigate ghost reports from citizens. There is supposed to be some form-changing supernatural wolf that lives in their area, and it spooks people out occasionally. Especially when they are a little stoned. I saw this in a documentary about that police department. It was on the History Channel or some other cable channel.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:

>

> }{quote} Where I live, we have several different races and ethnic groups that naturally scare each other at Halloween time, especially at night.

And then there's Dobbs, who is in a category all his/her/its own and who scares everybody... ;)

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> Everybody usually gets along just fine during the day and out of costume, but there is something about Halloween that spooks a lot of people, so they just take their kids to the mall. :)

Yes, many people don't bother with Hallowe'en...

I'm not a big fan of it, not for any special reason, just that I've not been one to dress-up or anything since attaining adulthood. I did all that as a kid and guess I think Halloween is something for kids and not adults.

But everybody is different. Some have religious or cultural reasons why they don't bother with it.

Or like me just think it's something for young people to do...

Anyway, despite crap weather there were many trick or treaters out and about in my neck of the woods and I ran out of goodies for them... Oh well...

Can't argue with you on THIS, finance. Since becoming an adult(AGE wise, at least ;) ), I've been invited to more Halloween dress-up parties than I care to remember. Since I've had a beard for the last 40 years, it's hard to build different costumes around it, and I never got into the whole masquarade party thing to begin with. As a kid, I used to cover almost 2/3 of the suburb I grew up in. Went "trick or treating" from about 5:00pm to nearly 10:00 O'Clock! For the last few years, they've fizzled out around 7:30.

But then, it seems to be COLDER on halloween then I remember. Plus there was, as I stated, the "urban legend" of tainted candy. I imagine there probably WAS a few actual cases of it, but not to the extent it's legend grew to be. Our city had "inspection centers" set up for a long time that would inspect, x-ray and otherwise scan your kid's Halloween candy to make sure it was safe, but a police officer neighbor I once had said the city gave it up due to the cost in police overtime, rental of the x-ray and scanning equipment, and the fact that after 15 years of inspecting candy after shelling out the money to do so failed to discover ONE PIECE of tainted candy! My favorite example of all this involved the popular legend concerning a little girl in nearby Garden City, MI, dying after eating a piece of Halloween candy "laced" with arsenic. When I met a guy who grew up in Garden City at the plant I worked, I asked if he knew who the girl was. He looked puzzled for a second and replied, "WE always heard it was a little boy in TAYLOR( another nearby city)!"

These days, they have "Trunk or treat" sites set up by church groups, which strikes me as odd. That any church would get involved with something like Halloween just puzzles me. And these stupid "trunk-or-treat" things can't POSSIBLY be as much fun as the traditional way. NO way!

Sepiatone

Sort of interesting, in relation to Dobbs comments below, that Halloween wasn't celebrated by early Americans. I'm referring to the early Puritan settlers from England.

And it wasn't until Irish and Scottish immigration to the United States in the mid-19th century that they introduced Halloween festivities. And even then it was confined to the Scottish and Irish immigrant communities. Wasn't until much later that other Americans began celebrating it too...

More here: http://books.google.ca/books?id=stWZ_UDteMIC&q=puritans#v=snippet&q=puritans&f=false

Edited by: RMeingast on Nov 2, 2012 1:41 PM

First sentence didn't sound right and made changes to it.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > Sort of interesting in relation to Dobbs comments below that Halloween wasn't celebrated by early Americans.

> I never said that. I don't know what you are talking about.

Sorry Dobbs, that sentence didn't come out right.

I meant your comments below about races and ethnic groups.

I should have put some commas in that sentence in my prior post to make it more clear.

Like: "Sort of interesting, in relation to Dobbs comments below, that Halloween wasn't celebrated by early Americans."

Thanks for noticing and correcting me...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings