Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mummy's Hand Chopped Off -

yanceycravat

> {quote:title=yanceycravat wrote:

> }{quote}Not sure what happened but the end of THE MUMMY'S HAND got chopped off rushing in RO's wrap-up!

Yeah I saw that too. Strange that including RO's wrap-up and the promos & stuff that followed, the next movie started right on time...as if the evening's programming was planned for everything to fit just as we saw. What would have happened if THE MUMMY'S HAND had run the extra minute or two to its complete length, would the rest of the night's programming have been a couple minutes delayed?

Good point. I suppose someone must have miscalculated.

I never thought about the when, where and why scheduling for TCM news or the vault series commercials, etc. but I guess someone is checking with a stop watch how tight these things must be.

I guess you can say TCM tricked us at the end of our Universal Horror treat!

Yancey

Agree that it was disappointing. Encore and the Fox channel never have truncated endings. Never. This is one area that TCM needs to improve...someone actually needs to watch whatever print they've received and notate the correct running time before airdate. Even with budget cuts and a smaller staff, this is a must. Otherwise, it seems like sloppy broadcasting.

With all that's going on in the country—and in the world—today, this seems, even to me, to be a bit trivial. Nevertheless, I feel I have to say something regarding the "chopping off" of the end of THE MUMMY'S HAND. Although I honestly hadn't seen the film in almost 12 years, it has remained a personal favorite of mine—and for a number of reasons, the most significant being that it was the film most responsible for me developing a boyhood crush on Peggy Moran—oh, so long ago. This crush, as time progressed, eventually turned to respect and appreciation—and became the seed of a cherished friendship I was to have with Peggy for the last 7 years of her life.

Outside of this, the THE MUMMY'S HAND is approximately 66 minutes long. The time slot—2:00 am to 3:15 am EST, allowed for 75 minutes. With Robert Osborne's intro and epilogue amounting to about 2 minutes, this leaves approximately 7 minutes for promos, previews, etc. There was about 1 to 2 minutes cut off of this morning's presentation—something, I have say, I've never witnessed before, since I began watching TCM years ago. So, why couldn't the guys in programming have allowed that 1 to 2 minutes remaining, to play out—leaving 6 minutes for promos, previews, etc.? I'd like to think it was simply an oversight as I am—and have been—a diehard proponent of TCM since its inception. Otherwise, it sort of blows the "uncut and commercial free" tag line all to heck.

This harkens back to the days, in the early 1970's, when a TV station near my hometown would run their weekly SHOCK THEATRE program, Saturday afternoons. Occasionally—and usually because of a sports event—the station would cut their normal 90 minute SHOCK time slot down to 60 minutes—then, try to squeeze a movie into it. Considering they also ran their required number of commercials within this time, the films would naturally suffer some terrible cutting. This particular station, although I still praise them today for showing all of the classic—and many of the obscure—Universal horror and mystery films over the course of many years, was especially notorious for trying to fit the 1935 horror classic THE RAVEN, a 61 minute film, into this 60 minute spot. (They had also shown the film in a 90 minute slot, which is how I knew at the time, that it was being cut.) With commercials, this spot was then reduced anywhere from 6 to 8 minutes, leaving 52 to 54 minutes to show a 61 minute film. Although I was just a kid, I still had a great appreciation for the old films and got so fed up with this practice that I finally wrote a letter to the programming director of the station to complain. To my surprise, it never happened again.

I decided to stay up and watch THE MUMMY'S HAND early this morning, if for no other reason than just to reflect. My jaw dropped when the cut came. If memory serves me correctly, the part that was cut shows Steve Banning, Marta Solvani and Babe Jenson—soon after their harrowing experience with Kharis, the mummy, and now safely in the midst of a Cairo bazaar when Steve suddenly finds another ancient Egyptian relic. When he asks the price, Marta steps in and quickly grabs the old piece out of his hands, basically saying something to the effect, "Oh, no! No more mummies for you!" Trivial, I know, but no less disconcerting when cut.

So, if nothing else, although Halloween of 2012 is now history, maybe TCM could show HAND again some time soon—but this time "without" chopping off the end. I'm almost certain Kharis would agree.

There are always going to be more pressing concerns in the world than a film cut on TCM in favor of commercials.

This is not the first time a picture has been excised on TCM. A few years ago, viewers who had long-awaited a rare showing of A WALK IN THE SPRING RAIN were hugely disappointed when STROMBOLI ran over. To make up for the error, TCM decided to join SPRING RAIN already in progress which meant almost a good five minutes were lost. The commercials scheduled after A WALK IN THE SPRING RAIN played right on time.

Fortunately, SPRING RAIN is coming up again...and I am sure viewers who want to see the entire picture are keeping fingers crossed and voodoo dolls on hand to punish anyone who gets in the way of the enjoyment of their movie.

> {quote:title=dgmarlowe wrote:

> }{quote}...THE MUMMY'S HAND is approximately 66 minutes long. The time slot—2:00 am to 3:15 am EST, allowed for 75 minutes. With Robert Osborne's intro and epilogue amounting to about 2 minutes, this leaves approximately 7 minutes for promos, previews, etc. There was about 1 to 2 minutes cut off of this morning's presentation...

It's ironic that, in Robert Osborne's introduction he even mentioned the movie's running time.

As I say, I'd like to think it was a simple oversight. And, evidently, it has happened in the past, though I wasn't aware of it. Thankfully, it doesn't happen too often. It's just too bad it had to happen to THE MUMMY'S HAND, a modest-but-always-fun little horror flick. And, it did, momentarily, remind me of my experience(s) with the TV station back in the '70's. In that particular situation, they unfortunately didn't really care so much about comprimising the integrity of the films they were showing, but were more concerned about filling in some available space. Today, instead of trying to squeeze a movie in, this same station would simply drop in an infomercial to plug up the gap.

Thank goodness for TCM!

yanceycravat: Peggy Moran was a cutie and I remember her in this and *Horror Island *also with Dick Foran. Foran and Moran-catchy huh?

Now I believe she was married to Henry Koster, who was THE director to Deanna Durbin. I've been seeking Horror Island for 30 years. Saw it on a local channel in the 70's. Universal finally opened up their vault a smidge and let us have this film again. "Leave the castle. Leave the castle!"

Hey, don't forget peg-leg Leo Carillo!

Another film that Universal released is Black Cat '41. Let's see, Brod Crawford, Hugh Herbert, and a number of contracts. Hugh Hubert often adlibbed and showed up in scenes where he was not supposed to be!

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}"Now I believe she was married to Henry Koster, who was THE director to Deanna Durbin. I've been seeking Horror Island for 30 years. Saw it on a local channel in the 70's. Universal finally opened up their vault a smidge and let us have this film again. "Leave the castle. Leave the castle!"

Hey, don't forget peg-leg Leo Carillo!

Another film that Universal released is Black Cat '41. Let's see, Brod Crawford, Hugh Herbert, and a number of contracts. Hugh Hubert often adlibbed and showed up in scenes where he was not supposed to be!"

Indeed, Peggy was married to Henry Koster—a man of many talents. Aside from being a fine director, i.e. THE BISHOP'S WIFE, HARVEY, THE ROBE, FLOWER DRUM SONG, A MAN CALLED PETER, etc.) he was also very well-read, hugely imaginative, a connoisseur of great music and quite an artist—very accomplished with a brush and canvas.

HORROR ISLAND is also a favorite of mine, as is 1941's THE BLACK CAT. The mention of these titles brings to mind another couple of old favorites: 1938's THE MISSING GUEST and 1944's MURDER IN THE BLUE ROOM, both remakes (sort of) of Universal's 1933 SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM (which was, of course, a remake of the 1932 German film, DAS GEHEIMNIS DAS BLAUEN ZIMMERS). Yeeesh! Sorry for rambling!

By the way, I'm brand spankin' new to the TCM Message Forum—(blame it on THE CHOPPED HAND OF KHARIS). Haven't done anything like this in years. Maybe someone here recalls the once popular—but long since defunct—message forum, AOL's CLASSIC HORROR FILM BOARD??? Stayed quite busy on that one. I have to say, it feels kinda' nice to bat this stuff around once again with people who truly have a love for it.

{font}

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings