Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JANUARY SCHEDULE IS UP!

classicsstarlets

I have been a member of the TCM Message Boards since June 2003. The one aspect about the Message Boards which has always intrigued, fascinated and I have never fully understood is how does one find the TCM Monthly Schedule three months from now when it has not been publicly/officially posted? All of a sudden a thread pops up stating the TCM movie schedule three month's from today is available for viewing and here is the link.

Please do not think I am complaining. I enjoy and look forward to having the TCM Movie Schedule availabale three months in advance so I can note which titles I want to watch. I am just curious on how one locates this information before it has been made officially available by TCM on their website? Maybe TCM Administrator can give us an answer on this subject. Inquiring minds would like to know.

This is just a guess, but I would think if you took this link that's provided and substituted where it says sdate=2013-1-01 with sdate=2013-2-01 that would go to Febuary 2013's schedule. You have to keep in mind that this will not be available until 3 months prior to Febuary 1st, and so on from month to month. Remember, I'm just guessing on this.

WOO-HOO! I just got a peek at the schedule and it looks like VIRGINUARY to me!

Three Weidler films including two I actually haven't seen!

Thank you classic for being the bearer of such good news!

(I like a lot of the rest of it, too. Carry on.)

*"What's going on NYE at TCM? Does anyone know?"* - Hibi

That evening, TCM has scheduled films with "New Year's Eve" scenes or plot lines in them.

*After The Thin Man*

*The Apartment*

*Ocean's Eleven*

*Made For Each Other*

*'Til We Meet Again*

(lots of renditions of "Auld Lang Syne".)

But if one isn't too keen on those, one might wish to record the daytime lineup for later viewing. TCM has a full day of Abbott and Costello films scheduled - including *Abbott and Costello in Hollywood*, *Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein*, *...Meets The Invisible Man* and *...Meets The Mummy*.

The complete December Schedule can be found here -

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/December2012.html

Keep in mind that the Abbott & Costello films are not all the Universal output they are most remembered for.

TCM is using this as an opportunity to tap into the Turner Library and air the three films the duo made at MGM (which are mediocre at best), plus one made for United Artists, and two at Warners (one which has fallen into the public domain). Leonard Maltin calls one of these lesser Warner offerings 'middling.'

The lesser offerings are being anchored by three more well-known titles from Universal. Thus, only 3 out of 9, or 33% of the Abbott & Costello marathon on New Year's Eve may be what viewers are looking forward to watching.

_My verdict:_ Skip the morning portion and tune in during the late afternoon.

*"I am just curious on how one locates this information before it has been made officially available by TCM on their website?"* - thomasterryjr

I've been leaning toward the thought that 'classicstarlets' is actually a TCM insider. But that is just a hunch. They always seem to know the exact day the "early" schedule is accessible online - even when it would sometimes show up before the first day of the third month out.

Having access to the "early" monthly schedule is a perk for the Message Board membership. One needs to bear in mind that these "early" schedules are "subject to change" - and most likely will, especially when it concerns seldom seen films or other unique titles. So TCM is giving us a chance to look it over and comment on the titles/themes, etc. without having to actually "publish" it on the website.

I've heard that many people would print out the early schedule weeks early and never check back to look for last minute changes. These folks got rather upset that some titles disappeared in the ensuing two months and they wrote angry emails. Lots of angry emails. So, for awhile, the only monthly schedule available was the current month's.

But a little pleading and negotiation brought about a compromise making an "unofficial" advance monthly schedule available for those of us that hang out here. TCM recognized that this membership is one that provides a lot of valuable feedback and commentary on the programming choices. Feedback that TCM benefitted from. I believe that TCM wanted to preserve that interaction without the hassles of putting an "official" link on the website to a schedule that wasn't completely finalized and likely to change.

So, it seems we are being given a little bit of special access that those who come only to TCM.com don't see. (At least, I don't think there is an "official" link to the January schedule on the site. I think it is only posted in here.)

>I've heard that many people would print out the early schedule weeks early and never check back to look for last minute changes.

That is why we occasionally find threads that announce last-minute changes. Some members are very considerate and try to alert others about these alterations to the schedule.

Of course, when there is a memorial tribute, which can happen at any time (and it happened more than once in July), anything is subject to get bumped.

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:

> }{quote}*Abbott & Costello...*

> I would say definitely pass on the 1950s titles. Some of them are insufferable. ("Captain Kidd" especially.)

I agree that some of A&C's worst movies were made in the early 1950's. But MEET CAPTAIN KIDD was a good one (in my opinion!). Charles Laughton is having a ball hamming it up, and that certainly helps us to enjoy it. And A&C regular Hillary Brooke is on hand...that's a good thing. And I actually like most of the songs. And if you can see a good color print, that will also add to your enjoyment.

Bear in mind, too, that some of A&C's movies seemed to be more geared toward children than others, and this is one. So if we "grown-ups" may not care for it, that doesn't necessarily mean it's "bad".

So I'd say to anyone who hasn't seen this one, give it a chance, then you'll know if you ever want to see it again.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}I thought Summer Under Ginny was still going on. LOL

Get with the program, TB! The films this month are part of the Fall of the Feisty One and Virginuary is the beginning of the Winter of Weidler!

And it was Summer *OF *Ginny, thank you very much. :)

While I certainly understand that the early "sneak preview" schedules are subject to change, it's very frustrating when the changes concern titles I most wanted to see - in fact in many cases, the highlights of a month (such as previously unseen Columbia "B" movies, etc.)

And it's happened again! Two of January's highlights for me would have been on Jan. 1 when originally a whole day of Charles Bickford movies was scheduled. Two were never-seen-before Columbia and Monogram films: PRIDE OF THE MARINES (1936) and MUTINY IN THE BIG HOUSE (1939) that definitely would have been among the month's highlights for me. Now they're gone from the schedule, along with the rest of the Bickford films. And to add to the disappointment, the day's original line-up has now been replaced by a bunch of 1960's musicals I don't want to see a second of! My TV will certainly be getting a rest that day.

Also gone from the original Jan. 1 schedule is one I've been waiting about five years for TCM to show again: SPRING REUNION (1956).

But, I do see some good stuff coming in January that I don't believe was included in the "early version" of the schedule:

Two Columbias that had been scheduled before on TCM over the last few years, but then pulled and not shown:

NINE GIRLS (1944) and

MURDER IN TIMES SQUARE (1943)

Let's hope they'll really be shown this time.

And, TCM, please re-schedule SPRING REUNION as soon as possible (along with the rare Bickford titles, if you're able to acquire them). Thanks!

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> Was Spring Reunion a 50s film with Betty Hutton? Or am I thinking of another film. Too bad if so, as I've never seen it. Too bad about the Bickford films also! :(

Yes, SPRING REUNION was Betty Hutton's last feature film (made in 1956, released in 1957). It also had silent star Laura LaPlante coming out of retirement to play Betty's mom - !

Dana Andrews is also in it, along with a good cast including, Jean Hagen, James Gleason, Irene Ryan, etc. Betty even gets to sing a song (and even though it doesn't really fit the story, or her character, it's fun to see that they let her do it in her old style).

And, a personal reason I wanted to see it again is because a friend of mine did the choreography for the movie (a fact that I didn't know way back the last time I saw it) and so I wanted to look especially closely for those parts of the movie.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> Hey, as far as I'm concerned, EVERY month should be Virginia Weidler Month, whether any of her films are shown on TCM or not!

Speaking of that, MN, I'm trying to get TCM to do a birthday tribute in March (hint, hint). I know it may well be too late, but I'm not quitting until the March schedule is officially out. Also, every day is Ginny Day [here|http://www.facebook.com/VirginiaWeidlerRemembranceSociety].

BTW, I'll support the wish to have SPRING REUNION shown. I was a Hutton fan before I started this Weidler thing. Betty is one of those actresses one either loves or hates...and I'm the former.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}While I certainly understand that the early "sneak preview" schedules are subject to change, it's very frustrating when the changes concern titles I most wanted to see - in fact in many cases, the highlights of a month (such as previously unseen Columbia "B" movies, etc.)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> And it's happened again! Two of January's highlights for me would have been on Jan. 1 when originally a whole day of Charles Bickford movies was scheduled. Two were never-seen-before Columbia and Monogram films: PRIDE OF THE MARINES (1936) and MUTINY IN THE BIG HOUSE (1939) that definitely would have been among the month's highlights for me. Now they're gone from the schedule, along with the rest of the Bickford films. And to add to the disappointment, the day's original line-up has now been replaced by a bunch of 1960's musicals I don't want to see a second of! My TV will certainly be getting a rest that day.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Also gone from the original Jan. 1 schedule is one I've been waiting about five years for TCM to show again: SPRING REUNION (1956).

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> But, I do see some good stuff coming in January that I don't believe was included in the "early version" of the schedule:

> Two Columbias that had been scheduled before on TCM over the last few years, but then pulled and not shown:

> NINE GIRLS (1944) and

> MURDER IN TIMES SQUARE (1943)

> Let's hope they'll really be shown this time.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> And, TCM, please re-schedule SPRING REUNION as soon as possible (along with the rare Bickford titles, if you're able to acquire them). Thanks!

Poor Charles Bickford.

Had he not been born January 1 he might have gotten that birthday tribute. I should have seen this one coming when I made out the schedule. What? Programming that is off the beaten path on a holiday??? We at TCM can have none of that! Yank those Bickford films and put on something generic - you know, something that will put the avid TCM viewer to sleep and is NOT going to draw in new viewers. And what do we get -

My Fair Lady ... AGAIN.

Not one but TWO Streisand films, when in my opinion Charles Bickford is much easier on the eyes.

Maybe you TCM programmers could move Bickford's original slate of films to March??? Pretty please???

And TCM programmers, not every holiday and weekend MUST be so generic. I'm not saying you should schedule a Chester Morris tribute on Easter Sunday - although that idea is intriguing - but how about something off the beaten path on a weekend or a holiday for the veteran TCM fan, just every now and then?

Nine Girls is very good. It was a very creative answer to a tricky problem during WWII - How do you make a film about college kids when all of the men that age are in the military? Particularly, how do you make a murder mystery that hardly talks about the war and features college kids when all the men are in the military?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings