Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LsDoorMat

The vast majority of the 31 Days of Oscar - February and March 1-3

Mike,

Do you feel as if they are ganging up on you in this thread? I am sorry that others have not behaved more positively towards you.

You will undoubtedly enjoy the many more-modern offerings on TCM in February. So hang in there!

Mike, I love your enthusiasm and your passion for films that you enjoy.

Consider me a friend on these message boards.

It's not that I don't like older movies, I do. It's just that i'd like to see more 70s and 80s movies more often and more frequently, movies that don't air on other channels.

> {quote:title=Mike00 wrote:}{quote}You sure?

I'm sure. I don't agree, though. I think TCM shows about the right mix now. Besides, movies from the 70s and 80s are usually available elsewhere, where as much of what TCM shows from the 30s and 40s isn't available anywhere else. That said, there are a few films from the 70s, 80s, and even later, that I would like TCM to show.

A lot of ones I'd like to see don't air on other basic cable channels. Very rarely do you see 70s and 80s films on other basic cable channels, if any.

>Very rarely do you see 70s and 80s films on other basic cable channels, if any.

FLIX and the Fox Movie Channel show them. I am sure AMC has some, though I do not watch AMC. For awhile, TVLand and SoapNet were both showing classics from the 1980s. And as we have discussed, TCM has a fair mix of them. Plus, the Encore channels show them, so they're everywhere.

And if all that is not enough, there is always Netflix or the local public library to get your 'fix' of classics from those two decades.

The breakdown of films per decade for 31 Days of Oscar goes like this:

1920s

7 films

1930s

67 films

1940s

95 films

1950s

66 films

1960s

74 films

1970s

21 films

1980s

16 films

1990s

1 film

347 total films

112 after 1960 which represents 32% of the total films for the 31 Days of Oscar. Up between 7 and 12% over previous norms.

Of course the schedule could still change. I based this info on Calvin's excellent research. So you should have something to look forward to next year. 38 films from after 1970.

What's that old story about that hairy, gnarly thing that hides under bridges?

Everyone, please stop responding to the person who unceasingly inquires about the same few things over and over.

Mike,

Nobody likes censorship. And the mild bashing that you are receiving is problematic and hurts the integrity of our posting community. However, I would suggest that you focus on some other threads and different topics of conversation around here. Then this too shall pass.

With kind regards...

You are not asking much from TCM.

The problem is that in many cases it is much easier and cheaper to lease older films. And since the channel is mostly about what many here think of classic films which means older films from before 1960, they are not automatically not going to increase the share of post 1970 films just because you feel they need to.

My feeling is that eventually TCM will show more recent films, but for now the case can be made that 20 to 25% of the schedule shows post 1960 films and to many here that is not acceptable. But to me and a few others think that just might be the right amount.

Again, my suggestion would be to start your own collection of films you like. Of course you may feel that your money is better spent on having basic movie channels. Me? I like to have additional control over what I watch. In the eighties I started taping a lot and buying older films through my local video store's bargain basement bin. As I got busier with my work, I started not taping as much and spending more of my disposable income on purchasing VHS movies.

Now I have basically converted most of my older VHS tapes into the purchasing of DVDs. I still don't record much at all, and instead like to buy DVDs with the extras on each DVD, which I find invaluable with my research.

Of the over 760 films I own, the breakdown per decade is like the following:

1920's: 7

1930's: 126

1940's: 145

1950's: 108

1960's: 91

1970's: 79

1980's: 64

1990's: 95

2000's: 45

2010's: 2

When I was taping more back in the early 1990's I found that I liked many films back then. The eighties were sort of wasted. Many of my favorite films are form the 1940's and 1990's. You don't have to have an extensive collection like I do, but if you are really interested in a core group of films from a certain time frame, nothing beats having your own collection and then you don't have to ponder when the next film you do want to see will be on TCM.

So let me get this straight......

All of your 70's and 80's era film watching you do is on cable television?

Do you not have a collection of films at home that you can turn to when nothing is on cable that you would want to watch?

If you are going to continue to sit here and complain and or wander why TCM is not showing additional 70's and 80's films because you feel it is their responsibility to do so, then I don't think you clearly understand what the main focus of TCM is. And that is for the most part showcase pre-1960 films on the channel. Sure their mission statement indicates that they show films from the 1920s to the present day, most films are from before 1960.

I understand where you are coming from. But don't you think that you might try and understand where TCM is coming from? As I have mentioned before, during the 31 Days of Oscar 32% of the films being shown are from 1960 and after.

A typical month of programming has on average between 15 and 30% of post 1960 films on their schedules.

I think for now and the foreseeable future, that is enough post 1960 films to show. Otherwise the only other option you have is to watch Netflix or have a collection to fall back on when nothing else on television allows you to get your fix.

yeah, but the typical month airs the same post 60s films. All I want is a little variety when they do air post 60s films on the typical month.

So the only recourse available to you is to continue to complain about the variety or lack there of in the variety of films TCM continues to show, correct?

Instead of trying to convince TCM to show different films from the time periods you want them to show, why not just have your own collection of films.

You have not yet answered whether or not you have a collection of films. Do you?

I mean as I wrote earlier I have 79 films from the 1970s, 64 from the 1980s, 95 from the 1990s and 45 from the 2000s. So I am covered. I could watch one film each night for 283 consecutive nights from my collection if I chose to. You could do the same.

There is obviously a devoted group of folks who watch TCM for the early classics (pre-1960) more than anything else. And that is not going to change anytime soon.

I just don't really have the time, money, supplies or interest to build a collection.

How would I even do that anyways?