Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LsDoorMat

The vast majority of the 31 Days of Oscar - February and March 1-3

I just don't really have the time, money, supplies or interest to build a collection.

Then what you need to do is to have Ted Turner call you at your private number in order to work out each month's schedule to suit your taste and convenience. And if Thursday night is your bowling night, I feel certain that with a bit of advance notice he can work around it.

> I just don't really have the time, money, supplies or interest to build a collection. How would I even do that anyways?

It is not very hard. Nor is it that expensive, really.

Well, you certainly have shown enough interest to sit here almost everyday and b***h and complain about the schedule when you could go out and start building a collection.

Editor's note: Insert comments from Top Billed after this post.

Doesn't take much. You can actually find numerous 1970 and 1980 era films located at Wal-Mart or other stores like Big Lots for less than $5 each. If you take some well earned money and focus some of it on that type of expenditure, in no time at all you would have a collection up and going.

It does take time and effort to build a collection from the ground up. By doing that instead of belly aching about the films TCM does not show, you could then enjoy films you do love without having to resort to continually writing about what TCM is not showing.

Wouldn't that be nice? Like right now I have Star Trek the motion picture on my computer. It is on pause right now. Oh, I forgot, you can't watch movies on your computer.

> {quote:title=fxreyman wrote:}{quote}

> Doesn't take much. You can actually find numerous 1970 and 1980 era films located at Wal-Mart or other stores like Big Lots for less than $5 each.

I hesitate to add to this excellent advice because I do not wish to be blamed for unleashing a monster but: one can also build a collection by buying a DVD recorder and recording all they like from infrequent airings. There are several good recorders for less than $100 and blank DVDs adequate for casual viewing can be purchased from Office Max for less than a quarter each if you watch for their sales and buy the one-hundred-count spindles.

It is amazing how quickly one can suddenly have a shelf full of movies.

I'm up to 97% capacity on my DVR/cable box, which coincidentally is 97 movies. Almost all from TCM. Some, I want to keep; others I watch and erase. This week, I've watched and erased The Curse of the Howling Dog and Devotion (Ann Harding), both of which I enjoyed immensely. I have a DVD collection as well, but I live in a NYC apartment and haven't got the space that the people in houses have!

If TCM were available in HD, that would leave me much less space on the DVR, as HD recordings take up alot of room.

*"I just don't really have the time, money, supplies or interest to build a collection."* - Mike00

It may be a substantial investment to "build a collection". But you should be able to add a tier of movie channels to your cable/satellite line-up for a few dollars. Investigate the cost of adding Fox Movie Channel, FLIX Network and/or the Encore Family of channels. Each of those options should offer you many more opportunities to catch films from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Definitely more than are offered on TCM.

Oh please...

Censorship is preventing someone from airing their views which obviously isn't happening here. What's happening here is someone is continually asking about the same thing over and over, the same thing that has been answered satisfactorily more than several times. Urging people to ignore it isn't censorship.

Can't you see a pattern here? Pithy one line posts, followed by paragraphs and paragraphs of explanations and recommendation, followed by pithy one line posts and the same questions...that goes nowhere.

It's so obvious.

> {quote:title=Mike00 wrote:}{quote}I don't pay the bill.

I'm intrigued Mike. If you don't pay the bill who does? I have a theory - which I'll keep to myself - based on other things you've said, but I'd just like you to confirm.

I am not sure if you are implying that Mike is a master manipulator (which I highly doubt) or if you are suggesting that everyone (including yourself) who commented on this thread lacks intelligence because it's a circular argument that wastes time.

>you certainly have shown enough interest to sit here almost everyday and b***h and complain about the schedule when you could go out and start building a collection.

>Editor's note: Insert comments from Top Billed after this post.

LOL.

I haven't been following Mike's posts too closely, but based on what I've read, I assume he's a kid.

Yes, I was thinking he was late teens or early twenties, still at home, and a classic movie fan. Of course, maybe he's 87 and pulling a number on us all, though I don't think so!

> I am not sure if you are implying that Mike is a master manipulator (which I highly doubt) or if you are suggesting that everyone (including yourself) who commented on this thread lacks intelligence because it's a circular argument that wastes time.

I am not so sure Mike is a manipulator at all. He might be the second coming of someone who was recently banned, but other than that I think he enjoys spinning this thread into a bunch of one liners and causing the rest of us, especially me into answering with thought provoking answers.

Does that make us less intelligent? I don't think so. I like giving longer answers to questions. Does not make me feel more important or more intelligent? No. I just like to explain myself so that posters who read my comments clearly understand where I am coming from.

If Mike only wants to give short answers, then that is his right.

I do clearly see where this has been going, but really who cares? There have been several suggestions for Mike and only he can decide how long of a reply he wants to make. Would I like longer, more detailed responses? Sure. But only he can decide what he wants to do.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}Yes, I was thinking he was late teens or early twenties, still at home, and a classic movie fan. Of course, maybe he's 87 and pulling a number on us all, though I don't think so!

Bingo. Only a kid is "not in charge of the bill" and says nothing is worth trying if he is not insured of success and thinks that if they nag and nag and nag they'll get their own way.

I am not so sure Mike is a manipulator at all. He might be the second coming of someone who was recently banned, but other than that I think he enjoys spinning this thread into a bunch of one liners and causing the rest of us, especially me into answering with thought provoking answers.

When I read "I just don't really have the time, money, supplies OR INTEREST to build a collection", I pegged it as simply trolling, which is why I answered him in kind with my comment about Ted Turner. By saying what he did, he was answering his own previous question in a way that precluded his lifting even a finger on his own behalf in order to obtain a solution. If that's not trolling, I'd like to know what else it might be.

I never thought of him as being a kid in his late teens. I am sure that is possible, but reading hundreds of comments per day one can easily read into a lot that is written by one poster.

Mike has made some very coherent posts but at the same time it would appear that he just makes one or two sentence responses. If he is a kid, he might be overwhelmed by all of these comments.

I don't know. He reads like anyone else at times. But you are right. That comment was rather strange. But then again there are many adults here who act the same way at times.

The simple reason could be that he has limited time on the computer. Another long-time poster here on the message boards, Infinite1 has said that he has to visit his local library to log onto the message boards. I am sure he has a limited time to read and send messages. Mike could be in the same boat.

Again, I just do not know. Unless Mike was nice enough to share how old he is or whatever else about himself to the TCM message board world.

That might not be a bad idea either for the rest of us to share with one another.

*"I haven't been following Mike's posts too closely, but based on what I've read, I assume he's a kid."* - swithin

Maybe. But 'Mike00' also wrote "I don't handle that." I interpret that to mean more than just "The parents won't pay for it." Secondly, a "kid" in his teens would likely be asking to see more films of his generation than from what would be his parent's generation (70s/80s). I don't see any evidence telling his age with any certainty.

I think 'Mike00' may be living in some sort of institutional housing arrangement. It may be a retirement facility, a halfway house, assisted living complex or other situation where the cable/satellite arrangements are not negotiable. If that is so, it would also explain how going to the library to acquire films may not be possible for him.

If he is living in institutional housing of some sort, I respect his decision to not share that determinate information with this group. It may disclose more about him that we have a right or need to know.

I agree with your post. Earlier this year there was an instance on this board of one poster commenting on another poster's abundance of typos, and it turned out there was a very good reason for that. So one needs to be sensitive.

But in reference to the point about the films, I always do assume that, if one finds his/her way to this board, he/she is interested in "classic" films. When I was young, the films I wanted to see on television were made decades before I was born. It was partly Million Dollar Movie and Shock Theater that made me a fanatic, when I was very young!

There is one thing we all might want to do.

And that is to stop writing about Mike and let him tell us his story if he wants to. The problem with message boards or anything these days is that no one knows anything about another person and before you know it everyone appears to be ganging up on an individual without really knowing anything about that person.

Just a thought.

One thing I found curious. He responded to a rather innocuous post by saying, "who the hell cares;" then softened/edited that post later on. That's what intrigued me. That kind of response can be called into question -- perhaps it was.

Hello. A little off the subject but what I want to know is when do "we" get to see what the Essentials will be for 2013?

Also, who makes the decision that a film is an Essential? I would imagine that Robert O,picks some and then the co-host e.g. Drew picks some as well?

I would think it might be a good idea if TCM programmers or whoever is in charge of this Essential programming would want the input of the viewers of TCM. e.g ;; what "we" consider as an Essential film?

I know there a many well educated and knowledgeable posters here who could rationally 'determine" what film or films might be considered an Essential.

Thoughts?

Lori