Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LsDoorMat

The vast majority of the 31 Days of Oscar - February and March 1-3

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}

> it has hijacked comments about the unimaginative programming for Oscar time.

I believe it takes a great deal of imagination and hard work to create a schedule with the limitations that the movies must have a connection to an Oscar, must have been converted by the copyright owner into digital format, must be available at a reasonable cost and should not be ones which are aired with great frequency.

I admit I am not as thrilled with the schedule as I am with the December and January schedules but I feel it is a solid schedule in a good format and the programmers are to be thanked and congratulated for their efforts.

TCM has shown a great deal of imagination on most occasions. But you have only to look at lists of all the films nominated for Oscars throughout Oscar's history to see that they could have programmed a far more imaginative series this year. I'm a programmer, I know that.

I see more of these 'why they can't' questions. TCM could air more recent movies. TCM chooses NOT to. It really is that simple.

I for one hope they stick to their brand; i.e. showing mostly studio era movies.

So to me, yes, asking TCM to show more non studio era movies is too much to ask for.

I'm pleased that HOLD BACK THE DAWN, SARABAND FOR DEAD LOVERS, and MONSIEUR VERDOUX are included in Oscar month. BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET and THE ORGANIZER are others I haven't seen but will look forward to.

DECISION BEFORE DAWN is one of the most obscure Best Picture nominees, but Oskar Werner's performance and the sight of Germany in ruins are most moving.

Dear Kingrat: The Organizer is a great movie, one of the best of 1963. Marcello Mastronianni did not give the best performance of the year (my choice is The Leopard's Burt Lancaster) but with this and 8 1/2 he was arguably the best actor of the year.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}It seems lately, everything on TCM is a retread. Very few premieres or original programming.

Have we already forgotten about 24 hours worth of Mack Sennett films little more than a month ago? 24 hours worth of incredibly rare material? Or did 99% of the people here just not watch it?

There hasn't been one piece of broadcasting anywhere else on TV that is 1/1,000th as daring as that and we still think TCM is on the brink of the abyss.

On the subject of repeats: I've only seen North by Northwest maybe 3 times despite TCM showing it a dozen times a year. It's pretty easy to tune this stuff out.

> It seems lately, everything on TCM is a retread. Very few premieres or original programming. They just recycle what's already been shown under a new theme. They must be really cost cutting. Are starting to resemble the old AMC with the repeat showing of films too.....

Here at TCM City it can sometimes feel like all TCM does is rerun the same handful of films over and over.

But, if you look at the actual schedule, TCM offers a great deal more than that.

Marlene Monroe and Tyrone Power both got a day during Summer Under the Stars. As did these first timers:

Johnny Weismuller (Aug. 3)

Van Heflin (Aug. 6)

Toshiro Mifune (Aug. 9)

Lionel Barrymore (Aug. 10)

Lillian Gish (Aug. 15)

Freddie Bartholomew (Aug. 18)

Eva Marie Saint (Aug. 19)

Anthony Quinn (Aug. 20)

Kay Francis (Aug. 21)

Jeanette MacDonald (Aug. 27)

Warren William (Aug. 30)

James Caan (Aug. 31)

The Mack Sennett festival in September. Hopefully more than just two or three of us enjoyed this wonderful festival of rare, restored, silent comedies.

The rare Cartoon festival, the Halloween screenings of Universal horror films that fans have been clamoring for quite some time.

This month, Constance Bennett is Star of the Month which means we are getting quite a number of pre-code films.

We also have Morlocks sitting down with Robert O and some of their picks include TCM premieres.

Next month, Babara Stanwyck is the Star of the Month and in January the pre-code madness continues with Loretta Young as Star of the Month.

I understand that sometimes it can be hard to see the forest for the trees but sometimes, if all you are focused on is the handful of titles that seem like they are in heavy rotation, you can miss the many gems that are there at your feet just waiting to be appreciated.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Like I said before, I don't see why they can't air 4 or 5 more recent movies a month, they air probably close to a 100 movies a month, is it really that much?

I agree that they could have put together a much better Oscar month schedule.

I would estimate that most of the SUTS " first timers" utilized films that are shown quite frequently, including the Japanese films, on TCM's schedule. One can name any "first timer" ie-Freddie Bartholomew and find that of the 12-14 films that were shown on that particular day, 80% of them were ones that have been shown quite often or at least several times previously. In other words, not an overabundance of rare gems.

> {quote:title=Mike00 wrote:}{quote}Like I said before, I don't see why they can't air 4 or 5 more recent movies a month, *they air probably close to a 100 movies a month*, is it really that much?

Actually, I think it's closer to *200-300 movies a month* (think about it, about 12 movies a day- sometimes more if they're shorter, that's 80 a week, at least.)

> {quote:title=RaquelVixen wrote:}{quote}I would estimate that most of the SUTS " first timers" utilized films that are shown quite frequently on TCM's schedule. One can name any "first timer" and find that of the 12-14 films that were shown on that particular day, 80% of them were ones that have been shown quite often or at least several times previously.

Yeah, I'm with you there. Although Lionel Barrymore's day did have the premiere of Night Flight. The Johnny Weissmuller day in particular was nothing more than a chance to parade all the stupid Tarzan/Jungle Jim movies that had (at the time) been running for seemingly two years worth of Saturday mornings.)

And I would not recommend citing James Caan's SUTS day as a successful episode of outside-the-box thinking that pleased the network fanbase. If I recall accurately, the reactions were something like 5 to 1 "****?"

No, I havent forgotten. But it doesnt make up for the retreads the rest of the time...........

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Yeah, they should have mixed in a few of Weissmuller's Shakesperean dramas.

He did a wicked Lady Macbeth. Shirtless, in a loincloth...I'm told it was something to behold.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Nov 7, 2012 9:54 AM

Who can forget Intolerance on Lillian Gish day? (LOL) In primetime yet.......

*These are parts of the schedules for a Saturday and Sunday sometime in the middle of Oscar month:*

MGM PICTURES

*7:00AM Lassie Come Home (1943)*

10:15AM On The Town (1949)

*12:00PM An American in Paris (1951)*

*2:00PM Singin in the Rain (1952)*

4:00PM Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954)

*6:00PM Gigi (1958)*

*8:00PM Ben Hur (1959)*

*12:00AM North By Northwest (1959)*

2:30AM Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)

5:30AM Naked Spur (1953)

Sunday

February 17

MGM PICTURES

7:15AM *King Solomon's Mines (1950)*

9:15AM Quo Vadis (1951)

12:15PM Bad and the Beautiful (1953)

4:00PM *Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)*

8:00PM *Dr. Zhivago (1965)*

*Boom. There. This is your problem. Every single one of these films needs to be retired for the next two years. (and I love Seven Brides and Black Rock )*

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Nov 7, 2012 10:05 AM

(titles in bold annoy me slightly more than the non-emboldened ones)

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Like I said, I'll be catching up on my reading in Feb..............

It would be teribly ironic if one of the books you wanted to catch up on was Doctor Zhivago.

Oh NO! I hadn't even noticed when I criticized the Oscar schedule, that NBNW was scheduled yet again! I had stopped complaining about that for a while, but placed as it is in the midst of a truly unimaginative month, I can't control myself!

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}

> It would be teribly ironic if one of the books you wanted to catch up on was Doctor Zhivago.

I was only about five years old, but I recall my father asking me to go get his pocketbook from the bedroom. This confused me greatly as I thought that only women carried pocketbooks. Little did I know that he wanted his paperpack book, I thought that he wanted his purse.

Anyway, the book was a copy of, believe it or not, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY and 56 years later I can still recall that it had an image on the back cover of Burt Lancaster with the broken bottle in his hand confronting Ernest Borgnine. I didn't know who they were at the time, but I've seen the still reproduced many times.

Even better, with the potential airings of 200-300 movies a month, why can't they air a handful of 70s and later movies?

You'd be better off voicing your concerns to the TCM programmers. No one here can help you......and continuing to repeat your post over and over isnt going to get a reponse here from other posters.......