Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MerryPickford

OT: Hi I'm New to TCM message boards

I know he is... That is why this little excercise into how frequently TCM has actually aired Scorsese films is surprizingly enlightening. I had no idea until now how spartan they actually were.

I guess I'm kind of isolated by deliberately limiting myself to TCM & PBS along with maybe a couple of other channels with my precious viewing time. But I've grown to absolutely detest most commercial television, or rather the imbicilic commercials in television. When I do occassionally watch them I feel like an alien from another planet and can't believe a lot of what I'm seeing advertised, and how.

I suppose that a lot of what I wish TCM would air (i.e. *List*...) is being aired elsewhere, but I'm blissfully unaware, until someone brings it up.

How do you know they gambled??? ;)

Ah, when you're in an Italian neighborhood and you smoke cigars and you let the kiddies buy old candy and comic books out front, you know all they are doing is gambling.

There was one comic book 'front' up the block, one candy 'front' down the block right near my grandmother, and another 'front' that sold THE best lemon ice in the city, to which the Catholic (HAH!) grammar school used to bring the students at the end of the year. The biggest scandal in the city? The head bookie at the lemon ice 'front' got pinched and actually went to jail! Musta made the mayor mad and didn't give him his brown bag with cash that year.

Ahhhhhhhh, good times in the 1950s.

Speaking of 'classic' (well, the new 'classic') movies, anyone see The Pentagon Papers with Daniel Ellsberg (81, sharp as a tack) on PBS last night? FAScinating. Proved me 1000% right, after 40 years.

{quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}

> > You can order Sea Monkeys here

> Just don't introduce any human spermatozoa into the fishbowl. It could culminate in missile warfare.

>

Can't say that I ever even considered that....

Is your comment based on actual experience? :)

that reminds me of some old movie short I watched sometime long ago.... Maybe Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Amazing stories.... Not exactly sure from where/when. But there was this scientist who created an artificial world (in minute scale) in a large fishbowl type chamber with the atmosphere of ancient earth, charged it up (perhaps with human ****?) and proteins & enzymes combined and life began... Then rapidly evolved through all the stages of evolution, as on earth. Eventually tiny microscopic humanoid beings appeared, and eventually advanced to modern times with micro warfare.. including nuclear weapons... I can't remember exactly how it ended... but I think that they advanced somewhat beyond the the observers time into a prescience cataclysmic future...

Anyway, there were many thoughtful & bizarre undertones that reminded me of a Serling script...

So with Sea Monkeys... who knows?...

Oh No... really... :)

Now I've got to watch more South Park.

I've seen a few of their episodes, about body lice, santa vs jesus, the christmas pooh & transsexuals, ... well I guess over the years I've seen quite a few episodes.

They never fail to entertain with shock & awe.. and point stinky fingers at human eccentricity & biggotry, to say the least. But no, I've never seen that episode, yet.

Now of course I want to.

*Goodfellas (1990) played at least once in June 2009.*

*Mean Streets (1973) aired at least once in June 2009.*

*Raging Bull (1980) aired at least once in February 2008.*

*Taxi Driver (1976) aired September 2009.*

And of course I would have waited until the end of September 2009 to begin recording, and missed my four favorite Scorceses. Ouch!

I also wanted to mention that I have an interesting sense of humor and I hope not to offend anybody on here. I just started a thread about the things I find humorous in not so much the films on TCM but just the intros/outros and interviews that take place.

I'm also a female in my 20s that lives in Los Angeles and frequents old film screenings. Not to imply that everyone that watches TCM are older and males but just wanted everyone to get an idea of who I am.

And Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, and Boxcar Bertha, and Italianamerican, and The King of Comedy, and I think, New York, New York.

in a large fishbowl type chamber with the atmosphere of ancient earth, charged it up (perhaps with human ****?)

The class of this message board reaches new and breathless heights with every passing day.

And poor TCMfan23 got thrown off why, exactly?

Poor TCMfan23, he should see the 'off topic' threads being allowed on here now.

Seriously, Michael?

As we've discussed before, as the years go by, TCM probably will, and should, move forward the time frame of the "classic movie era" to include more post-1980 films. Thus, there should be more showings of films from, e.g., Scorsese and Stone.

> And poor TCMfan23 got thrown off why, exactly?

As has been explained by various posters and Michael himself, after numerous warnings to knock it off, TCMfan's penchant for insulting other posters and name calling got him shown the door.

And smarmy remarks about ****** are so much better, eh?

Give me a freakin' break, will you.

Michael, are you following this garbage from the newbies?

Do you know how to respond to a post?

You INCLUDE part of the post you are questioning, so:

a. the poster doesn't have to go look for their post

and

b. the poster can respond to whatever it is you are questioning?

Been on the internet long? SOUH, is that you?

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}What a strange backstory. I didnt ready your urls till just now................

That's ok, Hibi... I know I'm waaaaaaay down there on your list of priority threads and users on this message board. And that's ok... :_|

Probably better that you never bought any Sea Monkeys while Braunhut was alive, then your dough wouldn't have gone to the **** or American Nazis:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1450152/Harold-von-Braunhut.html

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/2004/spring/hitler-and-the-sea-monkeys

Anyway, another idea besides that of selling Voodoo-Doll likenesses of your favourite TCM Message Board personalities (see another post) is to do some alchemy (require some DNA from users, for example, a hair or something) and fiddle with Sea-Monkey genes to produce Sea-Monkeys with the faces of your favourite TCM Message Board personalities...

Just add water, er, I mean the secret Sea-Monkey formula, and voila, your very own aquarium full of your TCM favourites...

seamonkeys.png

This photo of real-life Sea-Monkeys is in the public domain...

See how easy it is for a thread, anybodies thread, to find itself interwoven into a myriad of seemingly unrelated topics.... :)

> {quote:title=MerryPickford wrote:

>

> }{quote}I have an interesting sense of humor and I hope not to offend anybody on here.

I think that you will find it difficult to offend some, and easy to offend some others, but the only thing that is likely to be truly offensive is something said with a deliberately cruel or malicious intent, aside from that most of us here are generally open minded and have pretty thick hides, I think.

>

> }{quote}I'm also a female in my 20s that lives in Los Angeles and frequents old film screenings. Not to imply that everyone that watches TCM are older and males but ...

I think that it's terrific that you are young and female and enjoy "classic" movies (many of us still aren't in agreement as to just what that subjective term actually means, yet) though most of us here have yet to reveal our ages, i'd say that many of the most frequent posters here are probably older and male, but certainly not all of us. I think that if truth be known we pretty much run the age gamut. The one thing that we all seem to have in common here, along with a diversity of opinions, is that we do, inspite of some of our complaints, really do share an affection for this TCM station, what it represents and most of the movies that it shows.

When I first began watching this station I limited myself to my old favorites, then, over a relatively short period of time, something wonderful happened... i began watching movies that i thought I wouldn't like and found myself enjoying them. Now my taste in film is as broad as my taste in food, music and literature....

and what's more, each interest feeds off and expands the others. For me, it's hard to be narrow minded in one arena and broad minded in another, and so I find myself in the realm of Will Rogers when it comes to cinema, in that I can rarely say that I've watched a movie that I didn't find something worthwhile in the watching.

Be they silents, foreign films, musicals, comedies, documentary or docudrama, melo or dark dramas, film noir, war, anti-war, westerns, fantasy, sci-fi or horror, whatever the genre may be, i seem to find something enjoyable or interestingly worthwhile in them all.

I owe that to TCM.

And, likewise, I think that TCM has expanded the horizons of most of its viewer audience.

>

> }{quote}I just started a thread about the things I find humorous in not so much the films on TCM but just the intros/outros and interviews that take place.

I've found over recent years that I will be drawn to watch a movie that I've already seen many times before, if it falls in one of those Robert Osborne, Ben Mankiwicz, or guest programer viewing slots.

I think I do this just so I can hear the comments and maybe pick-up a tidbit of something I didn't know before from a different perspective, but often I'll find myself sitting through another entire viewing, just to see if I can see things differently than I did before, through another viewers eyes.

I'll be looking for your other thread, thanks!

> {quote:title=MerryPickford wrote:}{quote}I also wanted to mention that I have an interesting sense of humor and I hope not to offend anybody on here. I just started a thread about the things I find humorous in not so much the films on TCM but just the intros/outros and interviews that take place.

Welcome to the TCM message boards MerryPickford,

> {quote:title=MerryPickford wrote:}{quote}I also wanted to mention that I have an interesting sense of humor and I hope not to offend anybody on here. I just started a thread about the things I find humorous in not so much the films on TCM but just the intros/outros and interviews that take place.

>

> I'm also a female in my 20s that lives in Los Angeles and frequents old film screenings. Not to imply that everyone that watches TCM are older and males but just wanted everyone to get an idea of who I am.

Merry, sense of humor is great, and always welcome!! That's awesome that you attend old film screenings, I don't get to do that very often, but always seems totally cool! Hope you enjoy the board and groove to many flix on TCM!