Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ideas for next TCM Programming Challenge?

Capuchin

The next TCM Programming Challenge isn't until February, but you should all have your thinking caps on! Jot down any idea, no matter how weak, which wanders past -- you never know what might become a great theme if you give your subconscious time to develop it.

The main challenge has been narrowed down to one of six things, each more insidious than the others. ;)

But what I came in to ask is how to promote the challenge. Some of the greats of the past have retired, and I suspect others have become discouraged. I'd really like to get everyone involved in this one, renew the old spirit and break the old records for most schedules and most votes.

It might be hedging forum rules, but I plan to PM everyone who's ever entered to announce when it starts, in hopes it'll kick them into action again.

I'm wondering if it'd be appropriate to create a thread in several of the boards to draw interest from those who don't usually visit the General Discussion board.

Anyone have any other ideas? As long as it doesn't cost anything and isn't too humiliating, I'm game.

As part of my spurring people on and getting you thinking, here's another hint -- one of the options will be you can revisit a theme from one of your past schedules if you use no more than two of the same movies, and if those two were premieres in your original schedule, they'll be exempt (they won't count against the week's limit on premieres).

Get those thinking caps on!

One way you might be able to get more participants, is to somehow communicate with those that frequent the "Suggest A Movie" portion of this website. I'm always checking and submitting requests there and there are a lot of members that suggest their same 'core' of movies every day. If there's a way to tell them about the challenge, maybe they'd decide to participate and get the message of the movies they'd like to see communicated to TCM's Programming Department. If it is possible, the sooner done the better, ti insure all have time to register to beat any qualification deadline.

> {quote:title=aimalac wrote:}{quote}

> One way you might be able to get more participants, is to somehow communicate with those that frequent the "Suggest A Movie" portion of this website.

Thanks! That's a great idea. I never would have thought of it.

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> I think these challenges are way too fun and we should do them more often. I have lots of ideas for next time already.

I'd be comfortable doing them every other month. Unfortunately, holidays, summer vacations, etc. etc. etc. throw a wrench into some posters' free time. Some great players are already feeling burned out; an extended recovery time might keep more people interested.

Your entries are always a lot of fun -- can't wait to see what you come up with this time!

I'm wondering about the PM thing because it looks like I'll be sending out a couple dozen identical messages and don't want anyone thinking I'm spamming. Probably should check with the mod in advance -- it'd be a bummer to get banned on the first day of the challenge! :)

I also think we should have the challenges more often. Every other month would probably be a little too frequent. It usually takes me a couple weeks coming up with the themes, gathering the titles, then putting them together so they fit into the schedule without any overlaps or extended dead time between movies. Then there's the time needed to contemplate the other schedules I'm going to vote for and then vote.

Maybe making it a quarterly thing would allow for all the time needed. I haven't done anything (planning wise) for the upcoming challenge, because I have no idea of what to base the schedule on. And because I have no idea when it will start or end (I'm a notorious procrastinator) I'll be waiting to the last minute to get things started. Maybe if I knew or had some general idea, I might do some of the little things to prepare in advance for upcoming challenges.

> {quote:title=aimalac wrote:}{quote}

> Maybe if I knew or had some general idea, I might do some of the little things to prepare in advance for upcoming challenges.

He has it firmly penciled in to start on February 1, 2013 but I believe he is quavering on the end as he decides whether to make it thirty days or thirty-one days.

I am greatly anticipating seeing many wonderful schedules! :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings