Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How does a 99 minute movie fit into a 90 minute slot?

clore

The schedule for Wednesday, November 7, has the 1966 film CHAMBER OF HORRORS starting at 5pm and running until 630pm.

The same schedule says it's 99 minutes long which matches the DVD length but is longer than the theatrical release of 80 minutes.

Will we get the longer or shorter print or will the film get THE MUMMY'S HAND treatment? That would be ironic as villain Patrick O'Neal has to cut off his hand in order to flee execution.

Or maybe it will be the 1940 film of the same title which was released at 89 minutes in the U.K. but only 79 minutes in the States.

I'm going by the monthly schedule which has the following:

h1. 5:00 PM

h2. [Chamber Of Horrors (1966)|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/24776/Chamber-Of-Horrors/]

A one-handed madman uses various detachable devices as murder weapons to gain revenge on those he believes have wronged him.

*Dir*: [Hy Averback|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/7216%7C71976/Hy-Averback/] *Cast*: [Patrick O'Neal|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/143556%7C121291/Patrick-O-Neal/] , [Cesare Danova|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/44098%7C28837/Cesare-Danova/] , [Wilfrid Hyde-White|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/91523%7C154780/Wilfrid-Hyde-White/] .

C-99 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

h1. 6:30 PM

h2. [Corky (1972)|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/3447/Corky/]

An arrogant stock-car racer ignores his family.

*Dir*: [Leonard Horn|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/0%7C97711/Leonard-Horn/] *Cast*: [Robert Blake|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/17178%7C131319/Robert-Blake/] , [Charlotte Rampling|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/157565%7C30911/Charlotte-Rampling/] , [Patrick O'Neal|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/143556%7C121291/Patrick-O-Neal/] .

C-89 mins, TV-14,

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html

There's obviously still room for improvement if they contradict their own info.

That still doesn't solve the problem of conflicting information. One goes to the "schedule" list on the menu and it doesn't note that weekly or monthly is more relevant. If they're going to issue it in different forms, they should still both agree.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}

> You seem extremely unhappy with TCM these days.

I wouldn't say that. Just because I note a discrepancy doesn't mean that I'm "extremely unhappy." I just not going to go out and shake pom poms over every little thing that has the TCM logo on it.

Some see the proverbial glass as half-empty, some see it as half-full. I see it as having room for more.

Okay. You notice a lot of discrepancies.

I do think it is the duty of faithful viewers to offer suggestions for improvement. I did that earlier in the 31 Days of Oscar thread. But when folks complain about every little thing that TCM supposedly does wrong then it seems like sour grapes.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}

> Okay.

> You notice a lot of discrepancies.

>

> I do think it is the duty of faithful viewers to offer suggestions for improvement. I did that earlier in the 31 Days of Oscar thread. But when folks complain about every little thing that TCM supposedly does wrong then it seems like sour grapes.

>

Yes, when you do it, you're a faithful viewer providing constructive criticism. When "other folks" do it, it's sour grapes.

Sorta like that half-full, half-empty glass, a matter of personal perspective.

But there's no "supposedly" about it - the schedule exists presently with conflicting info and one of them is "wrong."

Maybe it's an old occupational hazard for me. I used to issue scheduling info, for a while at CBS I had to issue it in both horizontal and vertical grid formats because other departments had their own preference. But it all had to agree because I worked at the network's center of operations for the rest of the country and the press and ultimately the public depended on it being accurate.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}The schedule for Wednesday, November 7, has the 1966 film CHAMBER OF HORRORS starting at 5pm and running until 630pm.

>

> The same schedule says it's 99 minutes long which matches the DVD length but is longer than the theatrical release of 80 minutes.

>

It could likely be the 80 min. theatrical running time. Does it REALLY matter?

Life is too short to keep worrying or complaining about these things so often.

Do the ongoing complaints change anything?

Nope...they don't seem to have changed the space/time continuum.

TopBilled was right in his response below.

This movie *Chamber Of Horror* and *The Mummy's Hand* are part of a new series of adapted movies being shown that allow the viewers to imagine their own endings, so they will cut them off intentionally. They also suggest that if you don't see the actual ending then you will have to watch them again and again until someday they decide to show it, thus it means repeat viewing.

They are testing this with Horror movies for now, once they see how we react they might add other categories, like Musicals that alter the melodies or Comedies that leave out the punchlines.

> {quote:title=SonOfUniversalHorror wrote:}{quote}

> It could likely be the 80 min. theatrical running time. Does it REALLY matter?

>

> Life is too short to keep worrying or complaining about these things so often.

> Do the ongoing complaints change anything?

> Nope...they don't seem to have changed the space/time continuum.

>

>

> TopBilled was right in his response below.

>

First off, we've already established that the schedule that I quoted does not reflect what is airing on that day. But whoever made that schedule up was wrong in allotting 90 minutes for what is listed as a 99 minute movie. Simple math.

The point still rests that there is conflicting info on the site at present, there's nothing to indicate whether we should trust one schedule over another. What's wrong with expecting the right hand to be communicating with the left?

As for worrying or complaining about what's here on the site, I didn't see you considering your life being too short for you to avoid pointing out all of leobertucelli's errors here:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8695490

So, you'll have to excuse me if I choose my targets just as you choose yours.

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}

> > when folks complain about every little thing that TCM supposedly does wrong then it seems like sour grapes.

> Sour grapes - how so? I'm not sure you know what the expression means.

Sour grapes

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The phrase sour grapes is an expression originating from "The Fox and the Grapes," one of Aesop's Fables. It refers to pretending not to care for something one wants, but does not or cannot have.

*Sour grapes may also refer to:*

*Sour grapes : One makes a disparaging remarks (usually untruthful) about something, when he does not get it, or when the situation does not turn out to how he wishes it to be.*

Long ago I noticed that there were occassional discrepencies between the "Month Schedule," which I use to print out months in advance and rely, sometimes too heavily upon, vs the more current, and generally more reliable "Full TCM schedule." Generally, when there is a discrepency between the two, the "Full TCM schedule" will be more accurate.

I used to rationalize that the difference/s were due to the "Month Schedule" being posted so much further in advance, that the programers used it as more of an outline to follow, but couldn't account for some last minute difficulties when obtaining movies outside of the TCM library and also when there was an unforeseen loss of an old TCM friend which necessitated an otherwise unplanned tribute.

I've even missed recording a favorite movie that was listed in the "Month Schedule" because I forgot to double check the "Full TCM schedule" before adjusting my recorder's timer.

However, on several occassions of late I've noticed abrupt cuts to the endings of movies that I've been watching, nothing as drastic as what happened in our TCM Holloween premier of THE MUMMY's HAND, but annoying for someone like me, just the same.

Even when I go out to see a movie on the "big screen" I'm one of those guys who sits through the exit music watching the screen credits roll by. Like wise, when I watch a movie on TCM, I look forward to the complete informative experience. So when the exit music is playing and the credits are on the screen, and then they abruptly cut away before the music actually ends, it's an obvious program error.... At least that's what i hope... and not a deliberate act to get a little more in between feature promotion, when there is otherwise ample time between one movie and the next. But if it is programer error, I've noticed it far to often of late, so maybe there's someone new on board at TCM that's still learning his or her craft, at the viewers expense. If such is the case, I hope that they learn it quickly.

To me the mantra of "complete & uncut" is more than just words when it comes to TCM. And that includes the entire film from beginning logos to the exit music & credits. Often that is where I find those obscure actors that weren't "big enough" to get in on the opening credits, and sometimes one finds more little gems of info, like the names of individual songs and who played them, etc. there at the very end.

So please TCM, get your act together, and don't cut away prematurely, wait until the exit music ends and the screen goes legitimately black, before you move on to the in between promos.

And this is just a critical observation, not a general complaint aginst TCM, which is my favorite movie channel. No proverbial "sour grapes" intended, though I must confess that it does sour me somewhat, when it happens.

I just want TCM to be all that it can be and live up to the standards that it promotes and that we have grown to expect with consistency.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote} First off, we've already established that the schedule that I quoted does not reflect what is airing on that day. But whoever made that schedule up was wrong in allotting 90 minutes for what is listed as a 99 minute movie. Simple math.

>

> The point still rests that there is conflicting info on the site at present, there's nothing to indicate whether we should trust one schedule over another. What's wrong with expecting the right hand to be communicating with the left?

>

Darkblue was right (somehow I missed it) when he pointed out that TopBilled gave the weekly link which HAD the correct schedule:

> > {quote:title=darkblue wrote}{quote}

> > But TopBilled did provide an alternate schedule to look at in his first reply, so that should have probably been where the discussion should have ended.

> >

So... ;)

Long ago I noticed that there were occassional discrepencies between the "Month Schedule," which I use to print out months in advance and rely, sometimes too heavily upon, vs the more current, and generally more reliable "Full TCM schedule."

Oh, believe me, I'm well aware of that. Up until very recently I could count on the month schedule being revised as changes were made. I have schedules going back about five years, some of them are revisions to the initially released one, some of the months even have revisions to the revisions - such as when there is a tribute to a recently deceased star. The individual month's schedules that I've saved are distinguished as "A" or "B" and if necessary as "C" but packrat that I am, I save them all in case I'm looking for specific info to answer a query.

The point is though that changes to a schedule such as the one on November 7 were formerly reflected in the month schedule that one would access through the menu link.

I guess I just have to get used to the month-long schedule not being as up-to-date as I've become accustomed to it being in the past.

I'm the same way - that one other guy that you see sitting through the all of the end credits is probably me.

> {quote:title=RayFaiola wrote:}{quote}If you missed the end of THE MUMMY'S HAND - just watch the beginning of THE MUMMY'S TOMB!

You reminded me of the old Million Dollar Movie sign-off:

"If you missed any part of THE MUMMY'S HAND, or wish to see it again, another showing follows immediately."

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}CBS had competition from ABC and NBC. TCM has no real competition so the incentive for accuracy is somewhat less.

And they call me a cynic. ;)

But my need for accuracy was also one mandated by the need to serve the press, especially TV Guide back when it was the largest selling weekly magazine. The press then informs the public, and I already had enough viewer complaints to handle for things that were out of my control. I actually had to man the phones when viewers complained about the ending of the second Bob Newhart sitcom.

It makes no sense to me to cut off mere minutes at the end of a movie. I'm not very familiar with the movies mentioned, but if TCM schedules a 99 minute movie for a 90 minute time slot, the one thing to do is to watch the movie with a stop watch. Maybe they DID sheer 9 minutes off the end, maybe it was a typo, I don't know.

It's not really sour grapes as much as it's a tempest in a teapot.

Sepiatone

Maybe they DID sheer 9 minutes off the end, maybe it was a typo, I don't know.

No they didn't. First off, I made it clear that I was referring to what was listed as an upcoming event - November 7 is tomorrow.

If you follow the thread's responses, you'll see that it's all been clarified - I was looking at one erroneous monthly schedule provided on-site while the daily schedule, also on-site has been revised.

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}In modern parlance, the term 'sour grapes' refers to a person issuing complaint or disparagement that is initiated by that person's holding of a grudge that is rooted in jealousy or envy.

That seems to be just your definition, not an official one. Remember that the term goes back to Aesop's tale of The Fox and The Grapes. It has to fit or relate to that story or it doesn't hold water.

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

sour grapes

noun plural

Definition of SOUR GRAPES

: disparagement of something that has proven unattainable <his criticisms are just sour grapes>

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}

>

>

>

> This is the meaning of 'sour grapes'. Aesop, for whatever origins may be attributed, is irrelevant.

Aesop is hardly irrelevant, when it was his story from which the term originated (give credit where credit is due). The fox says something akin to "Those grapes are probably sour"...hence the origin of the term "sour grapes" (which is what your "irrelevant" comment sounded like...sour grapes).

Sour%20Grapes.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings