Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who's got your heart? (A male and female question)

• 2 weeks later...

The answer is simple for me as well. James Stewart. I love every movie he has ever been in.(even some not so great ones) I just find him as a simple, honest guy. (at least potrayed on screen) I love the fact that he loved his wife (don't anyone dash my image of him please. I am sure I have a romanticized vison of him ..but I like this version =p) I just love him so much!!

Jalanna

I LOVE Cary Grant! He stole my heart the first time I watched An Affair to Remember when I was in elementary school. His rivals include Warren Beatty, Johnny Depp, Anthony Perkins, and Robert Redford.

If I were a guy, it would definitely be Natalie Wood, Marion Davies, Grace Kelly or Catherine Deneuve. Oh, and I love Lauren Bacall also.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm going back a month or so. But in response to stoneyburke, I want to add -- AMEN!!!

I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're exactly right. I don't think Robert Mitchum was the most handsome actor on the screen. But man, did he have PRESENCE!!! (Well, he did come close to most handsome in HEAVEN KNOWS, MR. ALLISON)

Animal magnetism. . . Yes, I think that's it exactly!

robert walker in just about anything, i.e. 'since you went away' & 'the clock' & even 'stangers on a train'

watching greta garbo falling in love sweeps my heart away, i.e. 'grand hotel' & 'camille' & 'flesh and the devil'

and, schlitze in 'Freaks' -- he was the boy pinhead out of the three. he wore a little dress, and just captured the spotlight with the warmest smile.

• 4 weeks later...

Jeanette MacDonald captured my 10 year old heart in 1956 and has been there ever since. Why? I fell in love with her portrayal of an angel in I MARRIED AN ANGEL and in the next several years I managed to see every film she made that was available on tv. I joined her fan club and much to my delight even received a hand written note from her. Never had the pleasure of meeting her -- but her beauty and voice will never dim for me. My only regret is that her career couldn't have been more diversified as Irene Dunne's was.

Jeanette had a wonderful pre-MGM success with Maurice Chevalier -- but her post Nelson Eddy films just seemed to lack the ambitiousness of her earlier films. Quite frankly I think her age was against her -- and I don't think MGM was willing to try putting her in dramatic vehicles. They had a conception of her being a mostly singing actress - not a dramatic one -- and wanted to stick with the successful formula. Irene Dunne was much more successful in her career in that she branched out into dramatic parts -- even character parts - and flourished far longer. But don't get me wrong, Irene Dunne was a wonderful actress -- and a redhead to boot.

As far as leading men are concerned, the only actor that grabbed my attention immediately was the incomparable RONALD COLMAN. Madre de Dios -- that gentleman had everything -- handsome as all get out ..and that glorious speaking voice ..anyone who has seen TALE OF TWO CITIES, LOST HORIZON or IF I WERE KING knows exactly what I'm talking about. No wonder Greer Garson fell for him in RANDOM HARVEST -- I woulda too!

• 2 weeks later...

I fell in love with Clark Gable when I saw GWTW back in 1974 (or so) when I saw it in a REAL theatre, big screen as a teenager.

I also gave my heart to Robert Redford when I saw him in the 70's in THE STING. I just watched it again on video about a month ago, and he was soooooo gorgeous as Johnny Hooker in his period costumes.

• 4 weeks later...

MY HEART WAS TAKEN WHEN I WAS 6 YEARS OLD, AND NOW I AM 21. IT WAS TAKEN BY WILLIAM POWELL WHEN I FIRST SAW HIM IN THE THIN MAN. OTHERS WOULD BE, CLARK GABLE, RAY MILLAND, AND ROBERT YOUNG.

AS FOR FEMALES, MY ROLE MODELS ARE CLAUDETTE COLBERT, MYRNA LOY, DORIS DAY, AND GINGER ROGERS.

NOT TOO BAD AT ALL!

• 3 weeks later...

alix, I agree with you. I saw Gable in GWTW in the theatre during the revival (is that what you call it?) in the 70's. WOW. I wanted to be Mrs Clark Gable (or even Belle Watling) in the worst way. Still do, but don't tell my husband.

Also Sean Connery--he can do more with the quirk of an eyebrow than most men can with their entire faces. And he looks better balding.

For women I love Katharine Hepburn for her independence and refusal to conform, Marlene Dietrich for her cynicism and irony and Bette Davis for her tantrums, but I don't really want to be married to any of them. Much. LOL