Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bhryun

Who's got your heart? (A male and female question)

Errol Flynn, Gregory Peck, Paul Newman and James Cagney have my heart for all of eternity.

Errol satisfies the bad boy thing we all have. Not to mention, he's the most gorgeous man I've ever seen. He's my favorite of the 4 physically.

Gregory has the moral uprightness of my ideal man. I adore, worship and love the cloud he now floats on. His voice, his politics,his mastery of his craft.

Paul is the quintessential family man. He's "baby daddy" material (as Gregory is), lol! He stands up for what he believes in, he's giving and what's not to like about those damn blue eyes? He's a walking dream of a man.

Jimmy would make me feel secure ,as would all these guys but with Jimmy, he brings a little something extra. I could really see him breaking teeth if you disrespected his woman. He's the tough but tender sweetheart.

I would say all 4 of them have me completely and totally but, on any given day, it could be one of them a little more than the others.

Great choices Sukey!!! Errol Flynn, Gregory Peck, Paul Newman and James Cagney - I like all of them and they were very handsome, great actors.

My favorite though would be Marlon Brando - great, versatile actor, who in his younger days was the most handsome man I've ever seen.

Golly, I'm only supposed to give my heart to one man??? This is too hard. Well, maybe it would be Gary Cooper, but possibly William Powell. But knowing my prediliction for rogues, I might end up falling for Errol, too. He was such a fascinating character. Or Spencer Tracy---he lights me up like a christmas tree, too.

But I have a soft, melty feeling for Brian Keith, too! lol! Because he has the combination I find most winning in a man: kindness and confident masculinity.

You see, I just can't seem to be a monogamist when it comes to these guys!

Miss G

You're right, MissGoddess, on Brian Keith. Shame he committed suicide, wasn't it? I felt badly when I read that, just as I did when Richard Farnsworth did the same. Although I adored Farnsworth and reallllllly felt badly.

I just googled to make sure I was correct about Keith's suicide and found this in Wikipedia:

Keith was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound on June 24, 1997 at the age of 75, just two months after his daughter Daisy had also committed suicide.

How very sad. It always hits home with me just how fragile these gigantic screen egos really are. I believe it is a nature of the profession, how a lack of self-esteem and a fragile inferiority complex pushes them to seek adulation from outside themselves.

Then, when faced with realities and the loss of the selves they once were or serious ill health, they cannot cope and find a way out of the realism that is life.

I feel for them.

dolores

P.S. I am still sad for my beloved Warren William who died in his 50s from a very painful cancer. I hope he can read message boards from wherever he is to know how much he means to me.

HI Dolores!

I just want to interject how much I have enjoyed reading this thread! It's my favorite so far and I have really enjoyed finding out who makes our hearts go "pitter patter"!

I visited the website of Brian Keith's widow, which is a loving tribute to the man, the husband and father. Through her words and images he comes across as such a kind, warm and loving creature. I can see why he was so beloved. I fell for him as a little girl watching "Family Affair" and always wished I could have an "Uncle Bill" like that! Maureen O'Hara also wrote the loveliest things about him in her autobiography, 'Tis Herself.

And I must slap my wrists for leaving out Frank Sinatra, Clark Gable and Robert Montgomery from my original post. And Robert Mitchum. What was I thinking!! I need my second cuppa tea. :o)

I used to be into acting when I lived in L.A.---and I always told my friends in the business that none of the guys today did it for me (except Russell Crowe)---I wanted the Tracys, Grants, Coopers, Gables and Powells. Most of them looked at me like I was from outer space! But I don't care---if I had been working in the business in the 30s or 40s, I would have been such an awful flirt.

Message was edited by:

MissGoddess

Dana Andrews and Tom Drake, because my late mother and great movie fan liked them best. When I read dint he book about Judy Garland that Tom Drake was bi, I didn't ever tell her. Also Margaret Sullivan because mom always says"No one could cry like her" so elegant and dignified. Me, I blubber and get a big red nose... Also Barry Fitzgerald when he sees his mom in "Going My Way."

Maureen O' Hara,on the Larry King Show ( ? ) said that she believed that is was an accidental shooting. She was visiting with him about a week before his death and reports that he was in good spirits, especially about the new Parish Priest.

I recall reading that as well. I hope that's the way it happened---though it's tragic enough in either event.

This message is for Sukey Tawdry (love that name - and the song too!!!)

I agree with you, Marlon Brando was so handsome in "The Men" - but I thought he was most handsome in "A Streetcar Named Desire". I needed a fan to cool myself down when I watched that film. He was incredibly handsome.

MissGoddess, how cool that you got to be in the biz! What made you leave acting?

Acting is always something I liked, but I never got further than the tree in Hansel and Gretel in grammar school...I tried out for the witch (perfect casting, dontcha think?) but lost out to a prettier girl. I daresay that if I were an actress in the Glory Days and were in the company of William and March and Rathbone, I would no doubt have been an asterisk.

I'd like to picture myself as a Tallulah Bankhead.

dolores

Hi Dolores----It was hard not to be involved in Hollywood when almost every one I knew was in the business in one way or another---but to be a success is certainly hard, I give them the credit. I couldn't take it, the constant running around and rejection. I'm too thin skinned (or too vain) to take rejection well! Ha ha! I preferred ballet always---it was and remains my first love in the arts. Now I like to write; screenplays, short stories, whatever strikes my fancy.

But if I could have been around in the Golden Age---I would have loved to have been a "starlet" and go out and about with all those heavenly guys. Not just the actors, but also the writer/directors like Preston Sturges and John Huston, producers like Joe Mankiewicz, Orson Welles, John Ford, Hitch...spellbinders all. Fortunately, now we all get to "be there" through TCM and dvds.

Miss G

P.S. Being Talullah would have been a trip!

Isn't he great? Have you read the recent biography called Olivier that just came out last year? If you haven't, I'd seriously recommend it. i used to think he was somewhat of a jerk, but after reading those love letters he wrote to vivien leigh while they were married, I realized that he was a total softie at heart. love it.

> Isn't he great? Have you read the recent biography

> called Olivier that just came out last year? If you

> haven't, I'd seriously recommend it. i used to think

> he was somewhat of a jerk, but after reading those

> love letters he wrote to vivien leigh while they were

> married, I realized that he was a total softie at

> heart. love it.

A must-have!!! I have ordered it. --P

RITA HAYWORTH, Rita Hayworth, and Rita Hayworth! I first saw her when I was 17 . I was watching "You were never lovelier" where she is with Fred Astaire. I was in absolute Awww I was totally captivated. I could not believe how unbelievably gorgeous she was when I first saw her. Her look seemed so modern to me. Almost like she didn't belong in an old movie. I guess it's because her beauty is so timeless. Not to mention how talented she is. She's an amazing, accomplished dancer, a great underrated versatile actress. A very down to earth woman.

Then I'd say the classy and beautiful LAUREN BACALL, the funny and pretty CLAUDETTE COLBERT, and witty and cute MYRNA LOY.

For the men..GREGORY PECK...hot! handsome...very sophisticated and intelligent. JIMMY STEWART I fell in love with him in "It's a wonderful life" he was just an all around good guys. Looks wise.. JOHN GARFIELD was very attractive!

Sometimes, in the middle of the night, TCM airs a series of rare 1930s films. Some are funny, some are sad, some are mysteries, and others are wonderful little jewels that very few people have ever heard of.

Today I saw one that I recorded last week, titled ?After Tonight?, with Constance Bennett and Gilbert Roland. It is a WW I spy movie, of a fairly common theme which I always enjoy. A boy spy working for Germany and a girl spy working for Russia. They must keep their profession a secret from each other, even after they fall in love. Oh! How sad! They always do fall in love, and one or the other always discovers that the other one is a spy. Oh! No! But yes.... it always happens. The duty of their minds is always loyal with their own countries, but the romance of their hearts is always loyal to each other. But they must make a decision.... betray their lover or betray their country... or... most romantic of all, betray themselves and volunteer to be shot at dawn in order to save the life of their lover,

These two lovers in this film had a wonderful lucky break at the end.

You should see Gilbert Roland and Constance Bennett together. They are so wonderful and romantic.