Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What films aren't allowed to air on TCM due to rights??

MerryPickford

*I know that Disney is very protective of their material but It seems like an alternate universe if they aren't allowed to mention or show the brilliant Walt Disney and his development of the classic animated shorts and features...*

*Unless I'm mistaken I don't think I've ever seen a disney film or short on TCM...*

*I get that they have no rights to air anything Disney but pardon my frustration as it feels like an incomplete history of cinema as a result...*

I believe it is truly an unfortunate situation.

I have read that channels within the Disney-ABC Television Group have long-term exclusive rights to air the animated works. These licenses were granted in order to gain financing at the lowest possible interest rate because of the assumption that being the only source for Disney animation would assure success of the channels. The lower risk of default translating into lower interest rates meant savings of tens of millions of dollars for the corporation.

It is sad when dollars mean more than artistic and cultural values but that is the state of the world. :(

>It is sad when dollars mean more than artistic and cultural values but that is the state of the world.

Disney animation is easily found at your local library, often even BluRay versions. "Free" kind of sticks it to them.

Only releasing the "classics" on DVD lumps them in with any other kid's DVD, losing their well deserved cach? status as "art" films.

I wouldn't even mind if they re-released the classics on the big screen (along with shorts!) periodically, I'd certainly go & bring the kids.

But to just keep them holed up and out of circulation?

No one benefits from that.

You need to keep them alive by introducing them to every new generation.

The corporation's backwards attitude justifies duping whenever possible, imho.

On Saturday November 17 at noon Disney Jr is going to show the 1951 animated version of Alice In Wonderland. Once in a great while The Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Jr will dip into the old catalog. They showed a lot more of it about 12 or 13 years ago.

*a few years back Disney dumped a bunch of their live action films from the 60's and 70's that they couldn't unload anywhere else on TCM*. The Swiss Family Robinson, Candleshoe. Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The Apple Dumpling Gang, Escape to Witch Mountain and any other number of films that no kids today would sit through and few adults wanted to relive showed up left and right. There was one entire Sunday of live-action Disney and it SUCKED.

THANK GOD they have not been seen for the last 12-18 months, because it was getting to be a real problem.

Thank you for that, TCM.

ps- Disney ain't NEVER gonna part with their animation for anyone but Disney, sister. That's the plum...that and the moichandizing.

> {quote:title=MerryPickford wrote:}{quote}

>

> *Unless I'm mistaken I don't think I've ever seen a disney film or short on TCM...*

I don't know if you'd count them as real Disney movies, but a few years ago TCM ran several of the Japanese animated movies directed/written/produced by Hayao Miyazaki, many of which were released and/or distributed in the US by Disney.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

>

> I don't know if you'd count them as real Disney movies, but a few years ago TCM ran several of the Japanese animated movies directed/written/produced by Hayao Miyazaki, many of which were released and/or distributed in the US by Disney.

>

Yeah, *that was fun* and *a great idea on TCM's part.* I don't know how it went over with the online community, but that was some brilliant PR. I want to kindamaybe say they've shown The Iron Giant too.

Along with the Silents Freaks, I feel for the Animation Geeks- because those are two genres TCM has largely put out to pasture (with exceptions, *I know* )

I'd say the silents run way more than the animation does. Gulliver's Travels is the only animated thing I can think of having run in a loooooong time.

I don't know what the reason is that the 1956 Frank Sinatra western "Johnny Concho" is never shown anywhere in the U.S. I know it is available on region 2 (Europe) DVD. If I had a region 2 compatible DVD player, I'd purchase the DVD. This is the only Frank Sinatra movie missing from my collection.

You can get an all-region player at Amazon these days for about 40 bucks. For less, you can hack your own player. Just Google "all region" along with the brand and model number of your present DVD player. Chances are that you'll find instructions. Often it's just a few buttons on your DVD remote that need to be pushed.

CEILING ZERO with James Cagney , WHITE BANNERS with Claude Rains , FROM THIS DAY FORWARD with Joan Fontaine, CHRISTOPHER BEAN with Marie Dressler , BULLDOG DRUMMOND STRIKES BACK with Ronald Colman, SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON with Thomas Mitchell ,A VILLAGE TALE with Randolph Scott, THE STRANGER'S RETURN with Lionel Barrymore , COME FILL THE CUP with James Cagney , WINGED VICTORY with an all-star WW2 cast , THE MOON IS DOWN with Henry Travers, THE WHITE PARADE with Loretta Young , DEATH OF A SALESMAN with Fredric March, THE BRAVE BULLS with Anthony Quinn. There are others I am sure that I have not listed.

So really one could be using the "Suggest A Movie" site and be requesting a film that TCM can't air because they don't the "rights" to the film?

I also heard that TCM has to have that film in their library in order to air it.

So even though TCM airs a large quality of WBs films, there could be one film that is requested and TCM still can't air it because it is not in their library.

It kind of seems like TCM should provide us with a list each year with the films they can't air due to the issue of "rights" or they just don't have the film in library.

Because if I understand it correctly, one could be requesting a film be shown till they are "blue in the face" on the "Suggest Movie" site and it won't do any good because of the above issues. In fact that person is just wasting their time.

Am I making sense and am I correctly understanding everything here regarding the issue of airing certain films?

Thanks

Lori

Edited by: Lori3 on Nov 8, 2012 9:08 PM

Because if I understand it correctly, one could be requesting a film be shown till they are "blue in the face" on the "Suggest Movie" site and it won't do any good because of the above issues. In fact that person is just wasting their time.

Look at it this way, by requesting a title, you're making the TCM staff aware of a preference. If there are enough viewers asking for something that isn't under lease at the present time, it may have an effect in the future.

> {quote:title=Lori3 wrote:}{quote}

> I also heard that TCM has to have that film in their library in order to air it.

It is my understanding that the TCM Library consists now of only a few films which were recently restored. The original library amassed by Mr. Turner was divorced from TCM when Time-Warner purchased it.

TCM now has to rent all of the movies it airs. Some owners will allow airing of all of their movies which have been converted to digital format. Some will allow only part of their library.

I believe the list of available movies is changing constantly as owners convert movies to digital and owners are releasing movies previously restricted or restricting movies it previously rented.

*"It is my understanding that the TCM Library consists now of only a few films which were recently restored. The original library amassed by Mr. Turner was divorced from TCM when Time-Warner purchased it."* - SansFin

Correct.

There are only six films that TCM owns outright (along with all its original documentary productions.) They are films sold by RKO to producer Merian C. Cooper in the 40s. Such as ...

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/160517%7C0/Rafter-Romance.html

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/160521%7C0/Living-on-Love.html

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/160522%7C0/A-Man-to-Remember.html

Theoretically, TCM could show ANY film if the film was available for rent from its studio, the film could pass the channel's censors AND it was legally available for showing on television. There are films in "legal limbo" with various parties disputing ownership, copyright and other issues. Such films are embargoed from being shown on television anywhere.

One such "legal limbo" film was the Hope/Hepburn *The Iron Petticoat* which TCM worked to free over a period of years. Read more here -

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/79417/The-Iron-Petticoat/articles.html

*The Iron Petticoat* is being given its television premiere on November 29th.

*The Story Of Temple Drake*, *The Constant Nymph* and *Night Fight* are other 'legal limbo" films TCM has worked to secure the television rights to - but not ownership rights.

One legal restriction TCM has not been able to solve / resolve is finding who or what owns the Canadian Television Rights to the Hal Roach library. Thus virtually all Hal Roach films shown on TCM are preempted in Canada.

And don't forget that there are certain films that have long-term leases with other channels which will keep them off TCM for many years - notably *It's A Wonderful Life*, *The Sound Of Music* and *The Ten Commandments*.

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Nov 8, 2012 8:46 PM

> And don't forget that there are certain films that have long-term leases with other channels which will keep them off TCM for many years - notably It's A Wonderful Life, The Sound Of Music and The Ten Commandments.

Chief,

Good post! I'd add *The Godfather* to the above list!

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}Along with the Silents Freaks, I feel for the Animation Geeks- because those are two genres TCM has largely put out to pasture (with exceptions, *I know* )

>

> I'd say the silents run way more than the animation does. Gulliver's Travels is the only animated thing I can think of having run in a loooooong time.

I wouldn't say "put out to pasture."

I'd agree animation is slighted but the number of silent films has either remained constant or, as I believe, actually increased in the last 4 or 5 years. Not as much as I or many others would like but at least if one watched every silent on TCM for several years they would get to see a pretty good variety of things (and I believe TCM shows more silent films than any other channel around the world, if not the most rarities.) I do know that TCM couldn't do anything like the September Sennett festival back in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Overall, it's a very good deal considering the proportional amount of existing silent films to the number of existing sound films (and considering how many silent films are actually ready for broadcast.)

> {quote:title=aimalac wrote:

> }{quote}I don't know what the reason is that the 1956 Frank Sinatra western "Johnny Concho" is never shown anywhere in the U.S....

>

> This is the only Frank Sinatra movie missing from my collection.

I know how to solve that:

Get rid of all your other Sinatra movies - then "Johnny Concho" won't be the only one missing from you collection!

(Only kidding...I hope you find a copy some day.)

> {quote:title=cody1949 wrote:

> }{quote}CEILING ZERO with James Cagney , WHITE BANNERS with Claude Rains , FROM THIS DAY FORWARD with Joan Fontaine, CHRISTOPHER BEAN with Marie Dressler , BULLDOG DRUMMOND STRIKES BACK with Ronald Colman, SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON with Thomas Mitchell ,A VILLAGE TALE with Randolph Scott, THE STRANGER'S RETURN with Lionel Barrymore , COME FILL THE CUP with James Cagney , WINGED VICTORY with an all-star WW2 cast , THE MOON IS DOWN with Henry Travers, THE WHITE PARADE with Loretta Young , DEATH OF A SALESMAN with Fredric March, THE BRAVE BULLS with Anthony Quinn. There are others I am sure that I have not listed.

Some others:

TRIAL OF MARY DUGAN (1929 & 1941 versions).

A LADY TO LOVE (1930) - MGM, starring Edward G. Robinson and Vilma Banky. Was shown on TCM a couple times way back in 1994-1995 but not since.

THE GREAT GATSBY (1949 version).

cody's list includes:

>WINGED VICTORY with an all-star WW2 cast

UGH! This was shown at Cinefest 3 years ago near midnight. TikiKid & I loved it, but were bleary eyed from watching 14 hours of film, we had to go home & sleep.

I was assured, "TCM shows it all the time" so figured I could see it later.

Not in 3 years has it been broadcast!!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings