Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Holiday Movies

Julygirl

I love watching TCM day and night I can't get enough. I would like to see a little more holiday movies during the Christmas season. They make you feel good and they also bring back wonderful memories. My all time favorite is Miracle on 34th Street the original in black and white no color needed. I love holiday movies. Thanks for giving us great tv over the years. :)

There are many wonderful holiday movies scheduled for December. You may see which at the Daily Schedule page and using the "Day/Month" in the toolbar to select the dates in December you wish to view.

It is sad to say that: *Miracle on 34th Street* (1947) is not on the schedule this year.

I am very happy to see: *We're No Angels* (1955) is scheduled for December 9th. It is less heart-warming than many Christmas movies but it is precious in its own way.

{font:Arial}Posted on another thread about Holiday Movies this year. Also disappointed in no Miracle on 34th St. Also, not to see Holiday Inn or White Christmas listed. And, last year TCM televised Albert Finney's Scrooge…..a very long time since that had been on TV. Didn't see much televised for Christmas Day at all.{font}

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> I am very happy to see: *We're No Angels* (1955) is scheduled for December 9th. It is less heart-warming than many Christmas movies but it is precious in its own way.

That's the one I'm looking forward to!

Susanlovesmovies, I was searching around for Miracle on 34th Street and did see it on the AMC schedule but I am most disappointed that it isn't airing today, Thanksgiving Day. That is the one film that really starts off the Holiday season for me.

Here in NYC our local Channel 11 would always play it today. They have gotten out of that habit in recent years. (This year they're airing a Honeymooners marathon instead. Now, I adore that show but 11 usually has a 24 hour "Honeymooners Blowout" on New Year's Eve, which I always look forward to. Now I wonder if that will be changed.)

That's a shame b/c 11 is very much a part of the lives of many of us who grew up in the 60's and 70's. They always showed classic films, had great shows for kids. As a matter of fact 11 is now airing March of the Wooden Soldiers with Laurel and Hardy. This, I am glad to say is a tradition to which 11 is still faithful. Every year on Thanksgiving morning. Even my 83 yr old mom watches it every year.

Yes, I can (and will) pop my copy of the film in the VCR (yeah, I still use mine) and enjoy it but there is something about watching it on regular tv.

Does anyone else find that in general, tv has abandoned the usual classic Holiday stuff, at least in the promotional aspect. I'm not just talking about Christmas. ABC used to always air The Ten Commandments on Easter weekend or Palm Sunday and they were never shy about promoting it 2 weeks early. Yes, it's a cheesy movie now...production values that were once state of the art are now rather tame. It's campy with Eddie G asking Moses where his Messaih is now. But man, it's fun watching. Now? It's almost never on.

Even the Peanuts' Great Pumpkin and Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown don't get the ad blitz and then one day you realize that they aired the day before. I am aware that folks have dvd's of these things or can perhaps watch on line but dammit I miss them. The promos used to really give one a sense that Christmas is coming and your heart actually warmed at the thought of watching these shows.

These shows are comfort food for the soul and should never be put out of sight.

Rant over. Thank you.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wow, yogiboo, I really enjoyed your rant! I'm actually tired (and more tired) of A Christmas Story marathon after marathon after marathon. I remember watching Miracle on 34th Street every single Thanksgiving as well as the March of the Wooden Soldiers. I also remember watching Junior Miss with Peggy Ann Garner, Mona Freeman, and Allyn Joslin, which was always televised around this time of year.

Yes, we can buy them on DVD, and I guess it has come down to that.

• 2 weeks later...

> I am very happy to see: *We're No Angels* (1955) is scheduled for December 9th. It is less heart-warming than many Christmas movies but it is precious in its own way.

I'm glad to see that too! I think most of us have been lobbying for that movie for years.

One of my absolute favorite Christmas movies is one I first only ever heard of because I caught it on TCM once: *REMEMBER THE NIGHT*. Love this one to death. So glad TCM introduced it to me. Now it's one of my favorite movies of all time--in my top 5.

I'm very upset that TCM is not showing some of my favorite christmas movies throughout December.

Christmas in Connecticut

Holiday Affair

Susan Slept Here

The Man Who Came to Dinner

I would appreciate seeing them NOW while getting ready for Christmas as I'm baking cookies and wrapping presents, etc.

NOT the week of Christmas when NO ONE has the time to watch them.

I just log in to Netflix and pick out my favorites, people. *Desk Set* showed up today, *Holiday Inn* is next.

I hope these are the level of problems you are facing this Holiday season. I haven't been posting much, for I have been occupied with rather dark news. I just heard this week a dear friend of mine from MN is battling the same strain of Brain Cancer that struck Sen. Ted Kennedy. She is a young Pastor and mother in her late thirties and all her friends are supportive but we are all feeling powerless, save for our love for her and her family. I am 1700 miles away and feeling especially inadequate to help.

I know you must be disappointed about your favorite Christmas movies, Maybe you can try the Netflix route too, or find another way on Hulu or something to watch those favorites, while gently lobbying TCM for them next Holiday season.

I didn't mean to be a downer about it, but why can't we discuss the charm and not just complain about what we lack.

Edited by: casablancalover2 on Dec 7, 2012 10:50 PM

One of our long time users here on the message boards, Kyle in Hollywood posted a great thread earlier on the General Discussions Forum about what to expect from the 2012 holiday season on Turner Classic Movies. The thread is called *TCM XMAS FAQ 2012*

Please check it out. The questions and or concerns you may have might be answered here:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=167321&tstart=30

Over the past several years (decades actually), I've come to consider *CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT* as one of my all-time favorite holiday films. I first saw it late one Christmas Eve back in 1974 (the first of only two times I would ever see it in the '70's)—and it's just sort of stayed with me ever since; don't know how else to explain it. Must have something to do with it being set (mostly) in snowy, rural Connecticut, with a grand, stone fireplace, massive Christmas tree, great food, etc, etc.

When "cable" finally came to my little hometown back in the early 1980's, I noticed the film started popping up on occasion—usually on TBS and/or TNT—with commercials of course, but it was still a pleasure to see it again. Although a simple film, the pace is quick from start to finish, the dialogue is smart and funny, the set decoration is marvelous—and, above all, it boasts a wonderful cast—with the one and only Barbara Stanwyck at the helm.

This topic may have been covered here or somewhere else already, but just in case it hasn't, I think it's a little odd that TCM isn't showing *CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT* in December—"especially" since this month is devoted to the films of—"Barbara Stanwyck". I mean, what better reason(s) to show it?!

I did notice the other day (or night) that it was airing on AMC—but, in my case, I absolutely refuse to watch "anything" on that network (I could go on, but I'll refrain as this is neither the place or the time to elaborate on my profound disgust with what was once a truly great network). Correct me, PLEASE, if I'm wrong, but doesn't Turner own the rights to *CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT*? If so, then "why", pray tell, is it showing up on the—*A*ltered *M*ovie *C*hannel? Very confusing. I have been a TCM devotee for many years. With a very infrequent burp here or there, I truly believe they are, for the most part, very concerned about the integrity of the original films they show. Equally, I shudder at the thought of the possibility of having some of my favorite films, (such as *CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT*), show up on AMC, only to be repeatedly bombarded by tags, tag lines, perpetual dancing screen rot flashing across the picture in mad desperation to inform viewers of whatever program is coming up next, a ridiculous series of commercial spots (some of which are enough to embarrass me right out of the room!) that gradually increase in number as the film nears its fourth and final quarter, topping it all off by watching the films fall victim to mindless editing and time compression. Perish the thought!

Yes, I have *CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT*—and countless others—on DVD—and, yes, I can just simply pop them in and view them whenever I feel like it. But, in my own humble opinion, there's still something about watching these great old films as they're being telecast (preferably on TCM—in real time—knowing that they're going into thousands of homes—as well as my own—that just can't be duplicated.

At any rate, very sad not to see this Christmas classic in the line-up this year, although I must offer kudos to TCM for still showing—what was once considered a "rarely if ever seen" gem—*IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE*. It's not *CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT*, but then, I suppose New York City isn't that far off.

Jingle-Jingle.

• 2 weeks later...

The movies I have been looking forward to are "Going My way","Holiday Inn", "White Christmas", and "The Miracle of The Bells". I am very disapointed not to see that one on any one's lineup. I also have not been able to find a copy and fear it may just not be available.

Gosh! Very funny you should mention MIRACLE OF THE BELLS at this time. Just 3 days ago, I was talking to someone about this very film—and stressing the fact that I hadn't seen it in years. She had never heard of it or seen it before. The first—and last time—I ever saw it, was on the old American Movie Classics, maybe 17 or 18 years ago—if not longer. Couldn't remember much at all about it anymore, except for the fact that Fred MacMurray starred in it, and that it seemed like it would be an appropriate film to show at Christmas.

Well, that evening, we did some digging—and, lo-and-behold, eventually uncovered a "colorized" copy on-line. Although the 1980's colorization, I have to say, took away from the film's original glorious black & white intention—we, nevertheless, ended up watching the entire film that night—becoming increasingly engrossed in it as the clock ticked away. What a great little flick! And she absolute loved it, too!

Despite the slightly off-beat storyline—and, outside of MacMurray's occasional "Walter Neff—I love you, bebby"-style delivery, (which subliminally forced me to periodically think of him in DOUBLE INDEMNITY, the film noir classic he starred in some four years and 11 films earlier)—MIRACLE OF THE BELLS, otherwise, stands alone as a true classic, in my opinion. MacMurray is believable and soulful, Valli is nothing less than engaging—and, Frank Sinatra offers an unusually soft-spoken, but no-less powerful "Bing Crosby/Going My Way"-like performance.

Although Christmas is only briefly touched on in MIRACLE, it somehow seems like the film should be included (somewhere) in a list of favorite Christmas movies. Not sure why. Just a feeling.

Working now on a getting a decent black & white copy.

Archived