Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Funny TCM Announcements, Awkward Interviews, Intro/Outros NOV 2012

MerryPickford

So I decided to start a thread where we comment on the things being said on TCM whether it's the way they introduce the films, Guest Programmers interviews, or TCM's cheesy phrases when announcing what's on next just for fun...

Just tonight I was watching the outro to Network and this man who is the editor of Entertainment Weekly started awkwardly talking about "bad" movies with Robert. He said you know sometimes I just like watching movies for entertainment and not feel anything. HE then said he saw Notting Hill about 25 times in which Robert responded "I can barely get through that film once". Then he said well one movie that I think is really bad is Mommy Dearest..... There then came an awkward silence that felt like it lasted at least 10 seconds then Robert responded "Well it's nice that people have different opinions on the same film"..... I started laughing really hard..... I mean either that was really an awkward interview or just really bad editing.... hahahah

Edited by: MerryPickford on Nov 8, 2012 11:21 PM

How about when Wolf Blitzer was guest programmer with Ben Mankiewicz. It was either the intro to "All The Presidents Men", or the outro of the previous film where he stated how corrupt and treacherous politicians are, and would stop at nothing to get elected. Then he immediately did an about face and trying to make up for that slip, he tried to convince everyone that politicians are basically honest.

But when you think about it, Merry, what RO said was true. It IS nice that people have differing opinions about the same movie. You find a lot of it here.

And I agree with the other guy on that night. *Mommy Dearest* IS a bad movie, but I TOO still enjoy watching it. There's a lot of movies in that category for me. But *Notting Hill* (or as I call it, "NODDING HILL")isn't one of them.

Different people have different reasons for liking or disliking movies that others are in opposing opinions. My favorite movie might be one YOU think is downright stinkeroo. I have one daughter for which *The Breakfast Club* would be considered HER *Citizen Kane* . For my Grandmother, who grew up in Pennsilvania coal country, it's *How Green Was My Valley* . It's easy to see how each would come to their conclusions. And although I like BOTH, neither are in the top five of MY list. As far as my Mother goes, well, since she's had the hots for VICTOR MATURE since she was 15, ANY of his movies are considered the best. For my Dad, it's ELIZABETH TAYLOR.

For me, I like to PRETEND that I'm more "story driven" and that story requires some ambiguous level of intellectualism. But in reality it doesn't neccessarily matter. On one hand, I can get thoroughly engrossed in a movie like *Z* , yet turn around and totally enjoy watching Jerry Lewis' *The Bellboy* . I usually try to shrug it off and tell people my tastes are "eclectic". Which more or less is true. It does make life more interesting.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings