Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RMeingast

"She"

Doesn't seem that anybody caught this flick the other night, or cares to admit it, if they did watch it.

TCM aired the 1965 version of "She" that stars Ursula Andress, Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, and others: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_%281965_film%29

The film was financed through MGM (see Wiki article above) and had triple the normal budget for a Hammer film and so was the most expensive Hammer film up to that point.

It's based on the novel "She: A History of Adventure" by Henry Rider Haggard, who also wrote "King Solomon's Mines" and many other books: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Rider_Haggard

Apparently this film was a hit with audiences when released...

I didn't think it was too bad... TCM had it on at 11:45 p.m. Wednesday night...

Never read the Haggard novel the movie is based on and never seen the movie itself before, so the title of Ursula Andress' character - "She-who-must-be-Obeyed" - actually helped me figure something else out.

In the old BBC and ITV "Rumpole of the Bailey" TV series, Rumpole refers to his wife as "She-who-must-be-Obeyed": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumpole_Of_The_Bailey

So now I know where that phrase came from...

So if nothing else, I learned something from this flick...

Less than kind "New York Times" review (Sept. 2, 1965) by Bosley Crowther here:

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9906E4D8173EE03ABC4A53DFBF66838E679EDE

I bought the DVD some years ago because it was one of those cheezy movies TBS used to run every couple months or so back in the day. I had to see it again.

I bought the DVD last year (after discovering that it was finally available). It had been VHS-only for a loooooong time.

I remember it from childhood, so it became kind of a fairy tale to me and I have a special appreciation for it.

The 1965 version is the only one I've ever seen. :(

I'd really like to see (preferably on TCM) the 1935 screen version with the adaptation written by non-other than Ruth ( *King Kong* ) Rose (the life partner of Ernest B. Schoedsack), and starring Helen Gahagan (as SHE), Randolph Scott and Helen Mack

As I understand, it was the double feature viewing of *KING KONG* & *SHE* in the 30s that stimulated Ray Harryhausen to venture into stop motion animation, and triggered a life long friendship with the late great Ray Bradbury.

Of course I've read that there have been numerous silent screen adaptations of the H. Rider Haggard classic from 1908 - 1925, any of which would be a treat to watch!

I hope TCM is listening... hint, hint

Not great Hammer but it's fun, like most Hammer up to about this time...but do stay far, far away from its sequel, The Vengeance of She.

This one also launched a new mini-franchise for Hammer, the ever-popular babes-in-fur-bikinis flicks like "One Million Years BC" with Raquel Welch, "Prehistoric Women" and "When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth". Ursula Andress in the 1960's was probably the single person most associated with Playboy Magazine, other than Hugh Hefner. Raquel's fur bikini publicity shot helped make her a sensation and I believe Victoria Vetri from "WDRTE" was a Playmate of The Year. Naturally, each new installment of this genre from Hammer was guarenteed a spread in Playboy to boost publicity, but Ursula was always Numero Uno, having gone that route a number of times (tastefully and without shame, I should add).

I too enjoyed SHE when I was a kid. If I remember correctly, there was a mid-30s version of this story as well. I much prefer the sequel to the 65 version, VENGEANCE OF SHE. Don't remember the actress, other than she wasn't Andress, but also a knockout.

Wasn't that Olinka Berova in the sequel? I haven't seen it since it came out here on a double-bill with THE MUMMY'S SHROUD. John Richardson and Edward Judd turned in listless performances as I recall and there was a lot of exposition leading to a predictable finale. The girl is fine to look at as are some of the endless settings before we reach the magic city, but the actors seem sluggish, especially Judd who was much livelier in his earlier sci-fi films.