Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jack Huston on Treasure of The Sierra Madre

brackenhe

I just love this little interstitial that been showing as part of Classic Literature on film, or whatever it's called. Young Huston has been part of the series Boardwalk Empire as a WW1 disabled vet who was a sniper in the war but is quite an interesting character in the show. He has quite the cult following as far as the show goes. I just love the way he speaks about his famous relatives & the movie itself.

I hope this young man has half the career the other Huston's have attained. He's a good actor. His father is Tony Huston, who I think is the oldest of John's children.

Edited by: helenbaby on Nov 9, 2012 1:08 PM

You know, I caught a piece of that as I was doing dishes and wondered if he was a relative. I watched Treasure yesterday. What a good film. Kudos to Perc Westmore's make-up on Bogie when he's walking alone in the desert. That stood out this time for me. I always see somthing different when I watch that film.

Yup. Who is he, where did he come from, where has he been all this time, and why isn't he a co-host on TCM with Robert and whatshisname?

I just love this little interstitial

Is that what that thing was called? Holy mackerel. I have to google that word, fer sure. :0

Young Huston has been part of the series Boardwalk Empire as a WW1 disabled vet who was a sniper in the war but is quite an interesting character in the show.

Don't tell me he's the guy with half a face, I LOVE that guy! I only rarely watch the show, I hate Buscemi as a lead, but have been blown away by the guy with half a face.

He is indeed the guy with half a face on Boardwalk Empire. I checked his entry on IMDB and it seems he's only been in the "business" for a few years, but he does have a few projects coming up in addition to BE. He also has been in a commercial lately for Guinness Black Lager.

ETA You also learned a new word today.

Edited by: helenbaby on Nov 9, 2012 2:32 PM

I missed this on TCM and have never seen "Boardwalk Empire" but it is interesting.

Another family of "Hollywood Royalty" like Miss Drew and the Barrymores.

Also interesting that young Jack is English... And that he is an aristocrat through his mother, who is the daughter of a marquess (George Hugh Cholmondeley, 6th Marquess of Cholmondeley: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Cholmondeley,_6th_Marquess_of_Cholmondeley).

More about young Jack here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Huston

His paternal great-grandfather, of course, was Canadian actor Walter Huston, who starred in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre."

Walter Huston's family were farmers from Orangeville, Ontario who later moved to Toronto, Ontario, where Walter was born: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Huston

I actually know where Orangeville is and have been there many times as it's not far from my hometown...

Funny that Huston was regarded as "possibly the best American actor ever," as he was Canadian:

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/articles/walter-huston

Huston's original family name was Houghston and he changed it to Huston much later when he went into show business...

Walter Huston's rendition of "September Song" is truly lovely. Huston played Pieter Stuyvesant in the 1938 Broadway musical Knickerbocker Holiday, in which he introduced the Kurt Weill/Maxwell Anderson song.

Regarding John Huston, I actually think he was an overrated director, particularly early in his career. I enjoy Maltese Falcon but don't think it's a great film. IMHO, Huston matured very well, making two of his best films very late in his career: Wise Blood and The Dead, the latter with a brilliant screenplay by his son Tony Huston. Of course The Dead's directorial style seems more John Ford than John Huston!

Walter Huston's rendition of "September Song" is truly lovely. Huston played Pieter Stuyvesant in the 1938 Broadway musical Knickerbocker Holiday, in which he introduced the Kurt Weill/Maxwell Anderson song.

Now there's a musical I might actually sit through. Here's hoping TCM shows it some day.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings