Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What if Cary Grant had not retired?

LiamCasey

The obvious follow up to last week's question regarding James Cagney...

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}{size:13px}Again, as everyone on this board surely knows, Cary Grant's last movie was *Walk, Don't Run* in 1966. The reason for his retirement (a desire to focus on fatherhood after the birth of his daughter) is a very understandable one. However, since he was active until his death in 1986 and was preparing for a performance of his one man show when he died, it appears that he was still physically able to make movies and still had an audience. Therefore, I, again, wonder what might have been. What movie (whether in a starring role or in a featured role as per Arturo's very valid line of reasoning) during that period would you have liked to see him in and why?{font}

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}{size:13px}
{font}

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}{size:13px}One can easily imagine him in any role played by David Niven or James Mason. Or even by Michael Caine or Sean Connery if the age of the role isn't a factor. Or appear in a big budget ensemble piece with multiple British roles like *Murder on the Orient Express* or *Battle of Britain*. Or something Hitchcockian. And the {font}{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}{size:13px}notstarring.com website that RMeingast referenced has a number of such examples.{font}

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}{size:13px}
{font}

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}But that website also mentions that Cary Grant could have played the Herbert Lom role in *The Phantom of the Opera*. Cary Grant in a horror movie? That thought intrigues me enough that I'm mentally trying to imagine him in the Sidney Blackmer role in *Rosemary's Baby* or the Curt Jurgens role in *The Mephisto Waltz*. I suspect others will have more practical suggestions! :) {font}

I would very much liked to have seen him in the Burt Reynolds/Jack Rhodes role in: *Rough Cut* (1980). I think this could have been a wonderful little movie if it had the tone which Cary Grant brought by his presence. It would have been very nice also to see him opposite David Niven again. I believe he and Lesley-Anne Down could have had great chemistry.

I believe he would have been very good in the Alan Alda/George Peters role in: *Same Time, Next Year* (1978). I could then understand why a woman would want to see him after the first time.

I believe he would have been excellent in the Paul Newman/Henry Gondorff role in: *The Sting* (1973). It reminded me very much of his role in: *His Girl Friday* (1940) and age would have reduced his frantic nature and made him wiser and slier.

I am not sure if I would have liked him in the Michael Caine/Sidney Bruhl role in *Deathtrap* (1982). I believe he could have carried it very well but I do not know how I would have felt to see him kissing Superman.

I am not sure if I would have liked him in the Michael Caine/Sidney Bruhl role in *Deathtrap* (1982). I believe he could have carried it very well but I do not know how I would have felt to see him kissing Superman.

Grant was asked about doing the film SLEUTH in what became the Olivier role. He must have considered it to some degree as one of my books on Grant has a shot of him backstage with Anthony Quayle and Keith Baxter of the original Broadway cast.

Grant couldn't have pulled off the Alda role in *Same Time, next Year* . He would have had to start off as a WAY much younger man.

But as far as *Rosemary's Baby* is concerned, Grant doing the RALPH BELLAMY part would have been more interesting. And by that time, Bellamy would have been used to being replaced by Grant yet AGAIN! ;)

And wasn't Grant still working when Lom did HIS "Phantom"?

As for LASSIE? Given the life expectancy of dogs, several male dogs have been Lassie over the years. Lassie wouldn't have retired, just more or less expired.

Sepiatone

How about Cary Grant in Hitchcock's final film, *Family Plot* ? He could have played the William Devane role, a villain no less. I could also see Cary being very funny as Felix in *The Odd Couple* , who would have been a good Oscar to play against him?

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> I could also see Cary being very funny as Felix in *The Odd Couple* , who would have been a good Oscar to play against him?

I believe Zero Mostel would have been wonderful or terrible in the part. I can think of no movie in which I think he is merely good. It is always at one end of the spectrum or the other.

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}
> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}I would very much liked to have seen him in the Burt Reynolds/Jack Rhodes role in: *Rough Cut* (1980). I think this could have been a wonderful little movie if it had the tone which Cary Grant brought by his presence. It would have been very nice also to see him opposite David Niven again. I believe he and Lesley-Anne Down could have had great chemistry.

> I recall seeing *Rough Cut* back when it first came out. The creators of that one had definitely watched a few Cary Grant movies in their time. Since Mr. Grant had concerns about the 25 year age difference between himself and {font}{font:sans-serif}{size:13px}Audrey Hepburn{font}{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif} with regards to *Charade*, the 50 year age difference between himself and Lesley-Anne Down would probably have been a problem. But{font}{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif} Cary Grant and David Niven? I'm there.{font}
> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}I believe he would have been very good in the Alan Alda/George Peters role in: *Same Time, Next Year* (1978). I could then understand why a woman would want to see him after the first time.

> I agree with Sepiatone on this one. I doubt if Cary Grant at 74 could have pulled off a young George Peters.{font}
> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}I believe he would have been excellent in the Paul Newman/Henry Gondorff role in: *The Sting* (1973). It reminded me very much of his role in: *His Girl Friday* (1940) and age would have reduced his frantic nature and made him wiser and slier.

> *The Sting* is one of my all-time favorite movies. Therefore, I can't imagine that it would be better with Cary Grant in place of Paul Newman. But it probably wouldn't have been any worse either! :){font}
> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}I am not sure if I would have liked him in the Michael Caine/Sidney Bruhl role in *Deathtrap* (1982). I believe he could have carried it very well but I do not know how I would have felt to see him kissing Superman.

> Considering the rumors regarding his sexuality, would Cary Grant have done a role that had him kissing another man?{font}

{size:small}

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}Grant was asked about doing the film SLEUTH in what became the Olivier role. He must have considered it to some degree as one of my books on Grant has a shot of him backstage with Anthony Quayle and Keith Baxter of the original Broadway cast.

*Sleuth* would have been an excellent vehicle for Cary Grant.

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}But as far as *Rosemary's Baby* is concerned, Grant doing the RALPH BELLAMY part would have been more interesting. And by that time, Bellamy would have been used to being replaced by Grant yet AGAIN! ;)

> Nice! Your *Rosemary's Baby* suggestion is way better than mine!{font}
> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}And wasn't Grant still working when Lom did HIS "Phantom"?

> *The Phantom of the Opera* did predate Cary Grant's retirement. It just triggered my thoughts on some post retirement possibilities.{font}

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}{size:small}

> {quote:title=sfpcc1 wrote:}{quote}To get back on topic, what if Cary Grant played the Barnard Hughes role in Midnight Cowboy?

Cary Grant in *Midnight Cowboy*? And I thought I was going out on a limb with *Rosemary's Baby*.{font}

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}How about Cary Grant in Hitchcock's final film, *Family Plot* ? He could have played the William Devane role, a villain no less.

> If we're thinking Alfred Hitchcock, how about *Topaz*? According to the TCM article about that movie at the following link "(Hitchcock) had hoped to turn (Frederick) Stafford into the new Cary Grant":
>
> http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/81409%7C0/Topaz.html
> {size:small}
> Why not simply use the original Cary Grant?
>
> > {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}I could also see Cary being very funny as Felix in *The Odd Couple* , who would have been a good Oscar to play against him?
> Don't we first have to get past the concept that Feliz Ungar's wife would throw him out of the house if Felix was played by Cary Grant?
>
> I'm thinking we really stir the pot here and get Randolph Scott out of retirement and have him play Oscar Madison.

Edited by: LiamCasey on Nov 11, 2012 10:32 PM

Liam Casey Said

"Cary Grant in Midnight Cowboy? And I thought I was going out on a limb with Rosemary's Baby.

Yesterday I watched I'm Not There with Cate Blanchett and Richard Gere, (among others) as Bob Dylan. After seeing that maybe it's in the realm of possibility?

(Actually though I think his take on the short role would have been interesting, in the end it would have been too distracting.)

I dont think Cary would've liked the let it all hang out style of movies that began in the late 60s. I think he retired at the right time. He may have still been able to act in supporting or character roles, but I dont think he would've liked that. At best he had maybe a few years left as a leading man when he retired. The type of films he made were going out of style and would die out by the end of the 60s.......

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings