Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix to Groove Hard To!!!! Week of November 12th!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix To Groove Hard TO!!! Week of November 12th!!

First, I have to shout it out hard for tonight's Silent Sunday Feature, which is a double bill, with John Barrymore starring as the famous sleuth in the 1922 SHERLOCK HOLMES, followed by Buster Keaton yucking it up in SHERLOCK, JR (1924)!! And in the wee hours, 4AM EST to be exact, George Sanders in a role he seemed to have been born for, DEATH OF A SCOUNDREL (1956) with Yvonne De Carlo and Zsa Zsa Gabor!!! Dig it!

Grace Kelly fans are grooving on Monday morning with a block of 4 of her flix, including the Hitch thriller, DIAL M FOR MURDER (1954) with Ray Milland!!! This is followed by a block of 4 of 5 flix directed by Jacques Tourneur, 3 flix from the Nick Carter series, starring Walter Pidgeon and Donald Meek (the bee keeper!! LOL), all of them are pretty rockin'!!! NICK CARTER, MASTER DETECTIVE (1939), PHANTOM RAIDERS (1940), and SKY MURDER (1940)--the only one in this set not directed by Jacques! Then two more, THE LEOPARD MAN, a 1943 Val Lewton thriller, many say one of his best, with Dennis O'Keefe, Margo, Jean Brooks and a funeral procession that needs to be seen to be believe, dripping with atmosphere and at least two of the scariest scenes in cinema history!! Then sexy Lizabeth SCott mixes it up with Victor Mature in EASY LIVING (1949), a football noir if you can believe it???!!!! Also starring noir heavy hitter Paul Stewart, along with Lucille Ball, Lloyd Nolan and Sonny Tufts!!

Monday and Wednesday nights (and pretty much the entire following daytime block) is devoted to film versions of novels, and this Monday it kicks off with the Otto Preminger groove, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (1955), with Ol' Blue Eyes his own bad self, along with the gorgeous Kim Novak, Eleanor Parker and a wicked turn by Darren McGavin!

My next big groove for the week kicks off the the luminous Constance Bennett who radiates through every film she appears in and owns Tuesday nights during the month of November as Star of the Month!!! This week it's another boatload of pre-codes, and some really outstanding ones, including WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD? (1932) with my main man Lowell Sherman (woohoo!!), and Neil "Commissioner Gordon" Hamilton!! This is a flick you don't want to miss!! This is followed up with Constance, Gilbert Roland and Alan Mowbray in OUR BETTERS (1933), then Neil Hamilton gets back into the act in one I really dig, TWO AGAINST THE WORLD (1932), with Helen Vinson!! Next Constance proves she can get just as jiggy in the 40s with the 1941, LAW OF THE TROPICS, with Regis Toomey!! Next up we're back to pre-code shenanigans with TCM board fave, Joel McCrea, and Paul Lukas joining the party in ROCKABYE (1932)!! I can't get enough of Constance, and neither can Gilbert Roland who returns to star with her in AFTER TONIGHT (1933)!!!

Early Wednesday morning, it's 30's sexy snappy dame Glenda Farrell's turn, showing up in a 50's western with a flick I've never seen, APACHE WAR SMOKE (1952), along with Gilbert Roland!! Then the all about sisters theme kicks in at 6am est with Kate Hepburn herself, along with Constance's sister, Joan, and Paul Lukas in George Cukor's LITTLE WOMEN (1933)!!! Followed by one of my favorite Bette Davis flix, FOG OVER FRISCO (1934), a snappy little crime mystery flick also starring sexy Margaret Lindsay, Donald Woods, William Demarest, Hugh Herbert and Alan Hale!! Next up, it's William Powell and Myrna Loy in DOUBLE WEDDING (1937)!!! And to cap off this sister day, it's the heavy hitting noir thriller, BORN TO KILL (1947) with cult favorite Lawrence Tierney acting tough and talking tougher (and more psychotic!!!), along with all kinds of sordid, sleazy, murderous things going on, with the sexy Claire Trevor, Walter Slezak, and Elisha Cook, Jr!!! One of the best ever!

Wednesday night and throughout the day on Thursday, novel to film features pulp mystery and detective and suspense and noir, and it rocks!!! First up, it's THE MALTESE FALCON (1941) with Bogie, Sydney Greenstreet, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre and Elisa Cook, Jr!! Rock it! Then it's Bogie and Bacall in THE BIG SLEEP (1946), one of my all time faves!!! Later, 4:30AM, it's Ralph Meeker in KISS ME DEADLY (1955), followed by William Powell, Mary Astor and Eugene Pallette in THE KENNEL MURDER CASE (1933)!!! Sydney Greenstreet is rocking and rolling in WOMAN IN WHITE (1948) with Alexis Smith and Eleanor Parker, and shows up yet again with Peter Lorre this time in THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS (1944)!!!

Thursday night is Bob's picks, and I'll be groovin' to a flick I've not seen before, WICKED AS THEY COME (1957), with the sexy Arlene Dahl, Herbert Marshall and Phil Carey! Sounds like a flick I'd groove to!!

Friday night, late, a Luis Bunuel short subject turns up, SIMON OF THE DESERT (1965), looks pretty wild, have to check it out!!

OMG, Saturday morning is totally groovy!!!! First up, it's Jimmy Cagney himself along with sexy dames Joan Blondell and Ann Dvorak, and Frank McHugh in the pre-code THE CROWD ROARS (1932)!!! Followed up by a rare Arthur Wontner appearance as the famous detective in SHERLOCK HOLMES' FATAL HOUR (1931)!! Then it's Shirley Temple in THE LITTLE PRINCESS (1939)!!! This week's "Pepper family" adventure is OUT WEST WITH THE PEPPERS (1940), and we are going across the ocean with this week's "Saint" mystery/adventure, THE SAINT IN LONDON (1940) with George Sanders in the role, along with Sally Gray!!

Sunday I'll be grooving to William Powell, Myrna Loy and Frank McHugh in the hilarious romantic comedy, I LOVE YOU, AGAIN (1940) at 10am EST!!! This is followed by Joan Crawford as the QUEEN BEE (1955), with Barry Sullivan, Fay Wray and John Ireland!!! Then it's heavy hitter CASABLANCA (1942), yanno, it's always right for this film, Bogie, Bergman, Rains, Lorre, Greenstreet and a host of others tearing it up in more ways than one! 6pm EST, the King of Hollywood, Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert, in the Capra classic IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934), is another flick I never tire of no matter what!

Silent Sunday night features a rare screening of a 1925 Carl Theodor Dreyer flick, MASTER OF THE HOUSE (1925)!! Then it's the German version of ANNA CHRISTIE (1930) with Greta Garbo, natch!!! Followed by a double dose of Ramon Novarro to close out our week, starting at 3:30AM EST, two pre-code gems, DAYBREAK (1931) with Helen Chandler and Jean Hersholt, followed by SON OF INDIA (1931) with Conrad Nagel and Marjorie Rambeau!!! Diggin' the precodes this week!!!

Thank you TCM, for yet another totally groovy week of classic flix!!! You guys are where the party is at!!!

I've never seen "Two Against the World" or "Law of the Tropics", and I'm looking forward to those. It's kind of strange how Constance Bennett and Gilbert Roland starred together in two films in 1933 ("Our Betters and "After Tonight") yet didn't marry until eight years later. I wonder if there's a story there?

I'm off tomorrow and I'm looking forward to the Nick Carter films too - I've never seen those. Leonard Maltin praises one and rather pans the other two, but he misses the mark a lot when he reviews these B films. I really grooved to 1960's "Tormented" a couple of weeks ago and he had it labeled as a bomb. If you get into the wacky spirit of Allied Artist horror 60's style you would have to have liked that one!

First time viewings for me include Bob's Pick "Wicked as they Come", silent feature "Master of the House", as well as precodes "Daybreak", "Son of India", and the 1931 Sherlock Holmes film on Saturday morning. I like how precodes have been showing up more on weekends lately.

As for the novel to film theme for November, you've pointed out some good ones. That theme could have gotten as dull as Oscar month, but TCM really has a good slate of films running under that banner.

Thanks for pointing out the high points of the week on TCM!

>And in the wee hours, 4AM EST to be exact, George Sanders in a role he seemed to have been born for, DEATH OF A SCOUNDREL (1956) with Yvonne De Carlo and Zsa Zsa Gabor!!! Dig it!

Yes, this is a great film. Sanders best (along with All About Eve).

DEATH OF A SCOUNDREL has an unusual cast of very good and interesting characters who worked very well together. Sanders seems like the actual guy he is playing.

Mark, this might not be your cup of tea but the Underground entry this week, "See No Evil", is something I haven't seen in years but remember to be very good. A killer wipes out an entire family living out in the country in a large estate - save one - a blind girl (Mia Farrow) - who comes home and is inside the home a good long time before she discovers the grisly truth. What she doesn't know is the killer is coming back ...for her.

I remember I was anticipating the Import tonight but I do not remember what it is. I do not dare even look at the schedule because it will only raise my hopes and the cable is out again and it often takes Time-Warner several days to fix it.

I look ahead to Wednesday day and I see several that are very good.

*Fog Over Frisco* (1934)

*Double Wedding* (1937)

*A Stolen Life* (1946)

I like all on the Thursday day schedule but for the 2:00 PM movie.

I believe I missed: *The Admirable Crichton* (1957) the last time it aired. It stars Cecil Parker whom I like very much and the description makes it sound interesting.

I must wonder what is the source for the descriptions for: *Saint In London* (1939) as both TCM and Review are seriously wrong. There is no counterfeiting and TCM has it backwards. It is that his investigation of a spy reveals a plot to steal a large amount of newly-printed foreign currency. The Review is wrong also in that he is in England prior to being asked to investigate the spy so he did not travel there in pursuit of anyone.

It is wonderful that they are airing the proper version of: *The Prisoner Of Zenda* (1937) as Ronald Colman is perfect in the role.

I like very much: *I Love You Again* (1940).

the Nick Carter series, starring Walter Pidgeon and Donald Meek (the bee keeper!! LOL), all of them are pretty rockin'!!! NICK CARTER, MASTER DETECTIVE (1939), PHANTOM RAIDERS (1940), and SKY MURDER (1940)......Then sexy Lizabeth SCott mixes it up with Victor Mature in EASY LIVING (1949), a football noir if you can believe it???!!!!

Once again, Groovy mark, if not for you..........

WP makes my teeth itch, but I see venetian blinds (and their shadows) in the promo picture, and that bodes well. And I haven't seen a Lizabeth Scott picture in a dog's age on TCM, and I actually like Mature when he isn't wearing a costume.

Cool-e-o, mark, thank you!

mark, are you enjoying Nick Carter? WP still officially makes my teeth itch.

He is no Nick Charles, and there are no venetian blinds and their shadows in NYC.

The supporting characters are good to see, but boy did Walter stink up the screen.

Here's hoping Easy Living is more enjoyable.

Oh boy, Tom Conway is in the next one. Does he as the Falcon let Nick Carter have it? Sky Murder? Please don't tell me there are MORE planes in this one.

Thank you, Calvin!! Oh, I am not sure I'll be able to catch the Underground flix this weekend, but will try to capture that one to DVR to check out, thank you for the recommendation!! I haven't before, but I'm starting to get into some of these types of flix from the late 60's/early 70's, like this one. So yeah, I might dig it, thank you!

I hope you enjoy the Constance flix you haven't seen before, and am wondering how you are enjoying the Nick Carter series???

Thank you, WBF!! I hope you're enjoying the Nick Carter series despite your dislike of Walter Pidgeon! I happen to dig WP, so I'm cool there, and I totally love detective/mystery series!! They do have great casts, so hopefully you are able to groove?

Don't expect a ton from EASY LIVING, it's lite noir at best, but it does have that kind of feel--femme fatale and such. I dig it though!

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}Thank you, Calvin!! Oh, I am not sure I'll be able to catch the Underground flix this weekend, but will try to capture that one to DVR to check out, thank you for the recommendation!! I haven't before, but I'm starting to get into some of these types of flix from the late 60's/early 70's, like this one. So yeah, I might dig it, thank you!

>

> I hope you enjoy the Constance flix you haven't seen before, and am wondering how you are enjoying the Nick Carter series???

I liked the Nick Carter films a great deal! Walter Pidgeon does a good job with his role. He's certainly not The Saint or The Lone Wolf, but he has his own believable style that works in these fast paced films.

Calvin, thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Nick Carter series of flix!!! I agree! The cast really makes each of these films a joyful experience, and you are right, they are all very fast-paced! Also, Donald Meek as Bartholomew the BeeMan just gets funnier with each flick! What a hoot!!

This series rocks!

mark, I was glad to see them for their historical value. The supporting casts were great, and of course the films were black and white and from the Golden Age of Movies, so how could they be all bad?

It's really curious, I can't explain it myself, but my dislike for Walter Pidgeon is unwavering. My father used to hate Ginger Rogers, and since I didn't share it, I never understood it.

The more I watch Pidgeon, the more I can't figure out his appeal. First and foremost, in the Nick Carter movies, he is UNkissable. Absolutely, positively, completely and unquestionably, UNkissable. Therefore, as a romantic lead and as a lead detective that Tom Conway could better have done - and they killed off Tom Conway?! - heck, even Donald Meek, what a delight, could better have done, never mind James Gleason who was eminently more kissable, I found Pidgeon loathesome.

That said, he fit perfectly with Greer Garson, whom I also disliked. Isn't appreciation of the arts, subjective and not holding to any rational basis whatsoever, WONDERFUL??? :)

Rock on, mark, and keep up the wonderful work.

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

>

> Don't expect a ton from EASY LIVING, it's lite noir at best, but it does have that kind of feel--femme fatale and such. I dig it though!

Although I'm not into football or much of a fan of Victor Mature or Lucy, the movie did have such faves as Lizabeth Scott, Jeff Donnell and Lloyd Nolan...so I dug it!

Sadly, I couldn't stick with it. I liked Mature in his noir movies, the ones with venetian blinds and their shadows, but a 900 year old football star? I couldn't buy it.

Lucy at 40 depressed me, too. And the old guy and his wife and the " 'you mean?' 'she's?' in place of *pregnant* just say it I know they couldn't the idiots" couple, ick.

Lizabeth Scott as a terrible woman? Okay, the old guy *was* sexier than Mature, and you just didn't leave Mature for the old guy why? but there was too much football so I never found out, so I had to leave.

Sorry, Lizabeth, but I still love you and hope you are reading here and wish you do an interview with RO, if only just for me.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}Jacques Tourneur was a great director. He knew how to make noir movies like OUT OF THE PAST, and spooky movies like LEOPARD MAN.

>

> He was an expert at lighting, editing, timing, and telling his actors exactly how to act.

Excellent points, all around, Fred! He was really a fine director and I groove hard to many of his flix! I thought he did a nice job with the two Nick Carter flix he directed, but also thought the other director, George B Seitz, who directed the 3rd and final entry, SKY MURDER, did a nice job as well! It was a little different in that it seemed the funniest of the 3 (though all of them had a healthy dose of humor)! All around, I really dug on this series!

Just wanted to let all you groovy folks know: I'll need to take a break this weekend for the weekly grooves, but will be back next week and will cover two weekends (will start with Sat, Nov 24 through Sunday, Dec 2!!! Hope those who celebrate it have a very Happy Thanksgiving holiday! Dig it!

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

> Isn't it incredible, how a bad script can make William Powell and Myrna Loy unwatchable?

I am sorry to say I have no idea of which movie might fit that description. There are William Powell movies that I do not like and there are Myrna Loy movies that I do not like. I can think of no movie with both that I do not like.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings