Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE Beatles

1968john2012

This has relatively little to do with your question, but I knew *Victor Spinetti*, who was in a few of the Beatles films. He died a few months ago, lovely man. I even once had dinner with his mother Lily. Victor loved working with the Beatles and often talked about his experiences with them.

I loved Victor in The Magical Mystery Tour. It was brilliantly improvised. For anyone who is interested in a new pristine print of MMT may I suggest picking up the Blu-ray or DVD which was released officially by Paul last month. It really is great to see it so beautifully remastered.

It's nice to see, Raquel, that you found SOMETHING to like about MMT besides the music. A real "wish we COULD forget"able film.

As I already have the other two Beatles films on two mediums, waiting for TCM isn't neccessary. *Hard Day's Night* is the best of the three. I never get tired of the bit about the "clean" old man.

Sepiatone

Good question. I know that MIchael Jackson owned the rights to their songs, but since he died I'm not sure what's going on with that.

Actually, it might be fun for TCM to feature the Beatles as Star(s) of the Month. Well, maybe not, there are so many others more deserving of that honour, plus I'm not sure there'd be enough movies to fill out the month. ( Hey, I'm not saying the Beatles aren't "deserving", I just meant there are more appropriate candidates for SOTM. )

What they could do is have the Beatles as one of the "Month Highlights" things. I'm pretty sure there's more than enough Beatles movies and other films ( such as the "Anthology" series) to do that.

What they could do is have the Beatles as one of the "Month Highlights" things. I'm pretty sure there's more than enough Beatles movies and other films ( such as the "Anthology" series) to do that.

If I were programming a Beatles month, it might look like this:

* One night of the films they did together (A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, HELP, MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR, YELLOW SUBMARINE, LET IT BE).

* A night of other films the members appeared in - John in HOW I WON THE WAR, Paul in GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROAD STREET, Ringo in THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN, CANDY, THAT'LL BE THE DAY, CAVEMAN, etc).

* A night of films executive produced by George Harrison - these might include TIME BANDITS, WITHNAIL AND I, LIFE OF BRIAN, THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY, THE LONELY PASSION OF JUDITH HEARNE, among others.

* A night of films inspired by the Beatles music and/or history - possibilities include I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND (Robert Zemeckis' directing debut, set at the time of their first Ed Sullivan Show appearance); BACKBEAT (about their early days in Hamburg); ACROSS THE UNIVERSE (Julie Taymor's film that uses over 30 Beatles songs to tell a 60's love story); THE HOURS AND TIMES (a little known indie film that speculates on what happened when John Lennon and Brian Epstein vacationed in Barcelona in the fall of 1963; also notable for Ian Hart playing Lennon several years before he played him in BACKBEAT).

You could also fill late hours with documentaries such as THE US VS JOHN LENNON, THE CONCERT FOR BANGLADESH - I think John did Dick Cavett's show in the ealy 70's, so TCM might have access to that.

An added treat - if they could get Paul or Ringo as guest programmers.

Edited by: rdmtimp on Nov 14, 2012 10:21 PM

>as rdmtimp:

>A night of other films the members appeared in - John in HOW I WON THE WAR, Paul in GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROAD STREET, Ringo in THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN, CANDY, THAT'LL BE THE DAY, CAVEMAN, etc).

No, let us not have Candy. Even out of historical interest, let us not have Candy.

Any films of their performances or concerts?

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}

>

>

>

>

> As did George. When that show began, Dick commented to George that he's was sitting in the same chair in which Yoko had sat and George immediately jumped up. It was funny. And he was just kidding.

>

I remember that as if it aired yesterday. It was on the night before Thanksgiving in 1971 - gadzooks, where did all of the years go?

Well, *Yellow Submarine* isn't REALLY a "Beatles movie". They only appear in that short bit at the end. Even the VOICES of the animated Beatles were done by actors.

However, it WOULD fit in that "British invasion in Movies" thing.

Sepiatone

*Yellow Submarine* IS a Beatles movie. Yes, the voices weren't even theirs' ( I'll never forget how disillusioned I was when I found that out), but in every other way it is. It's got the Beatles as characters, and more importantly, it's got the Beatles' music. It's full of Beatles songs, how could it not be a Beatles movie?

Guys, I like the whole British Invasion thing too, both the culture and the music. And it would be fun for TCM to have a "British Invasion" month, for sure.

But I don't think it's necessary to combine the two, eg, Beatles movies and British Invasion movies. The cinematic material from everything directly associated with the Beatles alone would provide more than enough movies for just a "Beatles as the Month's Highlight" month.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings