Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Martha Raye films on Veterans Day

Remond

She brought her tremendous comedic and musical skills to her work in film, stage, and television, helping to shape American entertainment. the great courage, kindness, and patriotism she showed in her many tours during World War II, the Korean Conflict, and the Vietnam Conflict earned her the nickname 'Colonel Maggie.' The American people honor Martha Raye, a woman who has tirelessly used her gifts to benefit the lives of her fellow Americans.She is the only woman that is layed to rest at Main Post Cemetery, [Fort Bragg|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Bragg|Fort Bragg] .NC

>She is the only woman that is layed to rest at Main Post Cemetery, Fort Bragg .NC

The Tiki family went to Ft Bragg last year to pay our respects to our beloved Martha Raye. Finding her stone was pretty difficult as all the stones are identical.

As I recall, there are actually quite a few women buried there. I thought Raye has the distinction of being the only non military civilian laid to rest there. I think "civilian" was written under her name and birth/death dates-I'll have to look at the photos again.

Martha Raye was a powerhouse performer and did an awful lot for morale during WW2. There were more than just "pretty" girly girls waiting soldier's return....

This "Special Ladies" grave stone does have the word "civilian" on it. As a honorary member of the Special Forces she won her "Green Beret" and President Lyndon Johnson awarded her the title of Lieutenant Colonel. She was awarded the "Presidential Medal of Freedom", the highest honor a civilian can receive in 1993 by President Clinton.

She passed away in 1994 and in honor of her service in WW2, Korea and Vietnam { ironically she also has a deep fear of flying}, an exception was made to policy and she was buried in the military cemetery at Fort Bragg. The men she loved so much and was loved in return gave her the nickname of "Colonel Maggie" ..

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings