Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

Forum page suggestion

So, it's happened YET AGAIN!

A perfectly innocent sounding thread gets "locked" because of silly, stupid arguements. About NOTHING IMPORTANT.

I suggest that those in charge of these forums create a new page. On the list with "Hot Topics", "Games and Trivia", "General Discussions" and the like, you add a page titled "Snipe and Snide", where hopefully all the petty, small charactered, self centered little ankle-biters will gravitate and leave the REST of us have friendly, pleasant discussions filled with good humor and helpful insights.

What say, Administrators?

What say the REST of you?

Sepiatone

I can see why it got locked. We get to post here at the pleasure of TCM and they have rules for posting including being abusive to other posters. Posters have been warned numerous times that action will be taken if the rules aren't followed. We are guests in this house and need to respect the rules that are plainly posted for all to see.

I hadn't gone into that thread, since I find the "hi I'm new here threads..." to be extremely corny and tedious and not necessary. (I know, I know, some of you probably think they're nice). I did go in when I saw that it had been locked, since I had hopes that the locking meant that the TCM Admin also couldn't bear the saccharine nature of such threads anymore. I was surprised to see what was really going on.

I agree with you, Helenbaby, although I think of us as customers rather than guests, but we do need to respect the rules in any case.

sounds good in theory but it probably won't work...there, i've just done it. i've expressed an opinion. probably half of the people who read my opinion will disagree with it. some will tell me that they disagree with it and why. others may not like the fact that i always post in lower case letters.

here's another opinion. people who post on message boards are opinion driven. we like to express our view points and defend them when challenged. sometimes we defend those opinions vigorously.

a wide open place to opine, such as the 'snipe and snide' thread you suggest will surely spill over to the rest of the forums.

i joined the tcm board several years ago and the last time i looked i had logged less than 20 posts. there's a reason for this. i didn't come here to fight, i came here to learn something. and i've learned a lot.

it's a great palce to lurk. i feel like i know a lot of you. there are many posters whom i like...others, not so much.

michael does a heckuva job when a little judicious pruning is called for.

anyway...that's my opinion.

carry on.

edited to add...this was in response to sepiatone and not helenbaby...sorry bout that.

Edited by: scrutney on Nov 12, 2012 7:18 PM

I'd be in favor of somthing like that. We have it on a football forum I visit and it has cut down on the flame wars a bit.

I've reached a point here where I update my thread, check one or two others, and get out because I don't want to participate in the fights and or putdowns that seem to flare up.

But that's just me...

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}I hadn't gone into that thread, since I find the "hi I'm new here threads..." to be extremely corny and tedious and not necessary. (I know, I know, some of you probably think they're nice). I did go in when I saw that it had been locked, since I had hopes that the locking meant that the TCM Admin also couldn't bear the saccharine nature of such threads anymore. I was surprised to see what was really going on.

>

> I agree with you, Helenbaby, although I think of us as customers rather than guests, but we do need to respect the rules in any case.

The reason I use the term "guests in this house" is because this forum is here strictly as a courtesy. TCM isn't required to have an interactive space, but they do because it's the thing to do in the internet age. However, just because we are customers of a cable company and pay for the service doesn't give posters carte blanche to mistreat any other poster. If people want to denigrate TCM, I may not like it, and may voice my opposition, but it does no good to name call others. I would go into your house and insult your other guests without reprecussions. Same thing here.

*.... you add a page titled "Snipe and Snide", where hopefully all the petty, small charactered, self centered little ankle-biters will gravitate.---------Sepiatone*

Your judgmental characterization of those involved is inappropriate. It is exactly that type of personal attack that resulted in the thread being locked. Even though you didn't cite the posters by user names the implication is clear to whom you are referring. And frankly, Sepiatone it is quite hostile and abusive.

The idea of a thread for snipe and snide will only encourage abuse and rancor.

I'm working on curtailing further instances of these contentious arguments and apologize to all for my involvement in the matter and the locking of the thread. But please, the answer is not to add more fuel to the fire.

> {quote:title=RaquelVixen wrote:}{quote}*.... you add a page titled "Snipe and Snide", where hopefully all the petty, small charactered, self centered little ankle-biters will gravitate.---------Sepiatone*

>

> Your judgmental characterization of those involved is inappropriate. It is exactly that type of personal attack that resulted in the thread being locked. Even though you didn't cite the posters by user names the implication is clear to whom you are referring. And frankly, Sepiatone it is quite hostile and abusive.

>

> The idea of a thread for snipe and snide will only encourage abuse and rancor.

>

> I'm working on curtailing further instances of these contentious arguments and apologize to all for my involvement in the matter and the locking of the thread. But please, the answer is not to add more fuel to the fire.

>

I saw no such suggestion in what Sepiatone said. It was rather amusing, in a sarcastic way.

I didn't find it "hostile and abusive" at all. :)

"I'm working on curtailing further instances of these contentious argument"

You're a forum moderator now? ?:|

"But please, the answer is not to add more fuel to the fire."

Remember the old saying about "Those who live in glass houses..." ;)

*"I'm working on curtailing further instances of these contentious argument"*

*You're a forum moderator now?** ?:|*

I'm working personally on improving my board decorum. I'm trying to avoid such instances personally with the words I choose.

Why the sarcasm?

I apologized for my involvement yet you seem to be trying to incite further contention. I reported to TCMWebAdmin your post referring to willbefree25 and I as troublemaking and bullying and that was removed for abuse.

Have you ever apologized for calling willbefree25 and I bullying troublemakers? It takes a person willing to improve themselves to apologize.

I'm still listening. Is anything forthcoming?

So you are saying one can't learn and improve from their past experiences?

What I LOVE about this idea, sepia, is that it could turn into a real "Argument Clinic!"

And don't say "no, it couldn't" because that's just contradiction and not an argument at all!

I believe it is unfortunate that this ilk of forum can not do threading as is done in Usenet where you can see in tree-form who is responding to which posts. That allows people to follow the main thread while the bickering and name-calling is a sub-thread which is easy to identify and ignore.

*"I suggest that those in charge of these forums create a new page. On the list with "Hot Topics", "Games and Trivia", "General Discussions" and the like, you add a page titled "Snipe and Snide"*

Nope. Such discourse is already unacceptable according to the Forum Guidelines and has been reinforced by the postings of WebAdmin. So what's the point? Looking to "legalize it" -- like pot in Colorado -- is truly a "pipe dream." Ain't gonna fly.

Second, I don't think the membership here has any bargaining power left with WebAdmin to ask for relaxed (or new) rules. Not after the response it received after WebAdmin's honest effort to engage in a conversation about "poor behavior" a little over a month ago. His outreach was treated as a joke by many and mocked by others.

What I've witnessed recently is WebAdmin's increased comfortableness to permanently 86 the malcontents and misbehavers. Can't say that I blame him. "Zero Tolerance" makes his job go much smoother, I'm sure.

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> What I've witnessed recently is WebAdmin's increased comfortableness to permanently 86 the malcontents and misbehavers. Can't say that I blame him. "Zero Tolerance" makes his job go much smoother, I'm sure.

I don't think that's the case at all.

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}*

>

> Nope. Such discourse is already unacceptable according to the Forum Guidelines and has been reinforced by the postings of WebAdmin. So what's the point? Looking to "legalize it" -- like pot in Colorado -- is truly a "pipe dream." Ain't gonna fly.

>

Well, they are letting people out of jail, and stopping prosecutions in Colo.

> Second, I don't think the membership here has any bargaining power left with WebAdmin to ask for relaxed (or new) rules. Not after the response it received after WebAdmin's honest effort to engage in a conversation about "poor behavior" a little over a month ago. His outreach was treated as a joke by many and mocked by others.

>

Good point.

> What I've witnessed recently is WebAdmin's increased comfortableness to permanently 86 the malcontents and misbehavers. Can't say that I blame him. "Zero Tolerance" makes his job go much smoother, I'm sure.

I try to have a Zero Intolerance Policy myself. Well, except for racism and spam... :)

Thank you for the suggestion. This thread has netted one ban, a previously banned poster, who continually needled other users, claimed he was being harrassed when anyone responded to him, and then insulted me in multiple private messages.

This forum is provided for free as a service to TCM fans. The moment you decide you have some special right to behave in an assine manner, you'll lose the right to participate. As Jay said, "{font:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif}{size:13px}My attitude is: don't start nothing, won't be nothing!"{font}