Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Susan Hayward Movies

JamesN

Why the heck are 2 of my favorite Susan Hayward movies, The Lost Moment with Robert Cummings & Agnes Moorhead and The Presidents Lady with Charlton Heston shown on Turner Classic Movies. Also, both movies are not on DVD which is crazy these days. Any other fans of these 2 movies out there? Would love to hear from you. Jim

Jim, I have always liked Susan Hayward and I think she was a very good actress. I love "The President's Lady" but sorry I have never seen the other film you mentioned.

I think whoever owns those two films of hers now would be the one who would decide if they would release it on DVD. I don't know what studio she was under contract with, but that is where I would start.

Have any of her films be released on DVD? Surely " I Want To Live" is on DVD?

There is another film of hers I really liked. She stars with Tyrone Power, it is a western and she, Tyrone and her baby are held hostage by the "bad guys" but I can't think of the name of the film.

It does seem like TCM rarely shows her films.

Lori

Susan Hayward first attracted attention,even notoriety, as a scene-stealer while a featured player under contract to Paramount in the first half of the 40s. So much so that the top female stars there: Paulette Goddard, Claudette Colbert and Veronica Lake, all colluded to not have Susan cast in their films. When her contract expired in 1944, she was taken under the wing of Walter Wanger, who attained true star parts for her on loan to different studios. THE LOST MOMENT is a film she did during this period, released in 1947 (don't recall if by RKO or Universal). Financial reversals Wanger suffered caused him to sell her contract to 20th Century-Fox, where her first role there was in 1949's HOUSE OF STRANGERS. In the early 50s, she attained top stardom at Fox, becoming a Top Ten Boxoffice star and the studio's top attraction until the rise of Marilyn Monroe in 1953. Both 1951's RAWHIDE and 1953's THE PRESIDENT'S LADY came out during this period under 20th Century Fox. Unfortunately not too many of these movies are on DVD. Offhand, I can think of a handful...HOUSE OF STRANGERS under the Fox Film Noir series, biblical epics DAVID AND BATHSHEBA and DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS, Hemingway adaptations THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO (which sees to be in the public domain) and THE SUN ALSO RISES, SOLDIER OF FORTUNE (at the least as part of a 3-picture Clark Gable boxset), WITH A SONG IN MY HEART, possibly other Fox titles. Some of these are featured regularly on Fox Movie Channel, and some may be coming out as part of the new Fox Classic Archive series.

I was named for Susan Hayward, glad she's a class act.

Recently caught a great film shown on my local "PBS Classics" that starred Hayward as a tragic alcoholic. She was great and the movie was riveting.

I like that she can be a tough boozy dame with sweetness, fragility just under the surface, just enough to make you feel sorry for her, as if goodness is just beyond her reach.

She played the exact same sort of dame in I Want To Live.

If there's an actress I wish TCM would show a lot more of, it's Susan Hayward. Great blend of toughness and vulnerability, capable of playing almost any role, but best in drama / melodrama. Two of her lesser known films I like particularly are I Can Get It For You Wholesale and Deadline at Dawn, which just played recently. And of course there's her signature role in I Want To Live!

BTW anyone else find in Hayward a striking resemblance in both facial type and personality to Ida Lupino? It's only been through TCM that I've come to appreciate Lupino's range of talent, and I have a hunch that Hayward would grow on me in a similar manner if they'd show more of her movies.

Yes, Andy. I agree (and long have thought that). Love, love, love them both.

Among my favorite Susan Hayward films, other than the ones you mentioned:

"The Lost Moment" (1947) -- I have it on VHS, and I don't think it's available on DVD :(

"The President's Lady" (1953)

Edited by: dpompper on Nov 14, 2012 8:35 AM

Hi Arturo,

Just a small correction:

"I'll Cry Tomorrow" told the story of Lillian Roth, not Ruth Etting.

Doris Day played Ruth Etting in "Love Me or Leave Me".

It's easy to get all these dames mixed up, isn't it? Especially since all those movies about messed up singers came out about the same time!!

Larry

>Recently caught a great film shown on my local "PBS Classics" that starred Hayward as a tragic alcoholic.

>This would most likely be SMASH-UP: THE STORY OF A WOMAN. Hayward was oscar-nominated for the first time for this 1947 release.

You're right, Auturo, the title just slipped my mind.

And yes Andy, I used to mix up Susan Hayward & Ida Lupino too. (I've also been known to confuse Betty Grable & Lana Turner-the bland blondes)

I also think Betty Lynn (Thelma Lou on the old Andy Griffith show) bore a striking resemblance to Susan Hayward. Now there is an underrated actress!

>I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE, where Susan plays a scheming model/dress-maker

Who doesn't love the "scheming woman" role?

The biggest difference between Hayward & Lupino is that Hayward just kind of fell into acting mostly based on her beauty. She came to Hollywood during the "search for Scarlett" and stayed learning the craft on the job whereas Lupino came from a la family of celebrated actors.

Ironically Hayward had a drinking problem (at least in later years). Using her experience? Day didnt drink. So was basing hers on the movies? (:D) The only film I can remember Day being drunk in was That Touch of Mink. She did drink in Love Me or Leave Me, but it never showed her drunk........

I take that back, Day did have a drunk scene in Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (which TCM has never shown for some reason.....)

Edited by: Hibi on Nov 15, 2012 11:17 AM

Hi Lori,

I too really liked RAWHIDE, a very realistic low key western, and one of Tyrone Power's best.

I can't recall ever seeing it on TCM. It wasn't available on NETFLIX to rent so I finally broke down and bought a box set of 4 classic westerns from Amazon, just so I could get RAWHIDE.

There was another Tyrone Power & Susan Hayward film that TCM did play at least once around 2007, but I didn't record it then... It's also one of those hard to find films and I wish TCM would air it again (been waiting 5 years now...) I can't remember the name but it co-starred Richard Egan.

It was like a western, only took place in South Africa. Colonists in covered wagons looking for new land that always belongs to somebody else. This time I think it was Zulus who attacked the train and Ty and a bunch of Afrikan rangers on horseback ride to the rescue. Hayward's husband is killed, but she carries on and starts a farm. She falls for Ty but Egan is also trying to woe her. I think she has Ty's kid, but Egan hangs in there working for her but loses his leg after a tree that he was chopping down, because of a sentimental association between Ty & Hayward, falls on him. He becomes a one legged vengeful outlaw and eventually he and his one-time friend Ty have a showdown.

somewhere in the film I think that an extremely valuable diamond is discovered on her farm...

Anyway, i can't think of the name of the film, but it was a good action yarn.

Does anything I've said about it sound familiar?

Off the top I can't think of any other movies that featured Tyrone Power & Susan Hayward together...

can you?

The other Power/Hayward film is UNTAMED. Amazon has a DVD for sale, but while it's letterboxed, it's non-anamorphic. Still, that's more than what the Fox Movie Channel was giving us, I had them for a decade until two years ago. They only aired a pan-and-scan copy of it.

That's it, UNTAMED. Great film.

I just checked out Amazon where I've been on their notification list for ages waiting for the DVD to become available, then I saw the rent/buy section with UNTAMED, as well as AMERICAN GUERILLA IN THE PHILIPPINES & KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES, 2 other Ty films I haven't seen for way to long.

I've downloaded MP3 music from Amazon, but not a movie. Is it the same principal?

what format is it in? Would it allow me to burn a DVD from it later, or would I be restricted to watching it from a computer or (god forbid) a kindle screen?

Update... I've read what Amazon says about downloading their videos, it does not specify the format other than AMAZON INSTANT VIDEO (whatever that is) and it sounds like you must have the AMAZON VIDEO PLAYER software installed to view what ever one downloads to buy or streams. I wonder if it would even allow me to convert to a DVD TS file or not????

Has anybody downloaded a video from Amazon and burned a DVD player compatible DVD from it?

Or would it be better to just buy the Spanish/English region 2 PAL DVD version then convert the file to region free NSTC then burn a standard DVD TS format and watch it from any dvD player I wish?

A lot of steps, but if tcm won't play these movies for us without waiting for ages, then I guess that's another, albeit inferior option...

I've never done one of those Amazon instant-plays. I once downloaded a film from them and even that was just some freebie that I got from them about six years ago. There was no instant play program going on then.

I used to buy mp3s from them, but then they started insisting on my using their own software to play it back and that sent off signals to me. My son tried it on his PC and despite his telling them that he just wanted the mp3 and no software, he only got the file in some format that isn't playable.

Sorry, call me paranoid, but I don't want anybody's software monitoring my music library. I get enough damned "recommendations" just from stuff that I look up, it seems that not a day goes by that I don't hear from some seller noticing that I've been looking at their site at a certain movie and now they have other recommendations for me.

Hell man, I'm just comparing prices, get off my back.

A few years ago, Fox released two boxsets on Tyrone Power...one focused on Swashbucklers and the other, called TP Matinee Idol, had mostly comedies with a drama or two. I had hoped that a Western collection of his movies would follow, which would include RAWHIDE and the Western in all but location, UNTAMED. Fox stopped these boxsets about 3 years ago, so I'm hoping these and other titles will be part of the new Fox Archive series (or whatever it;s called).

The movie David and Bathsheba is an excellent movie with her as

Batthsheba.

It's Biblical but in that context the intimate relations between a man

and woman comes forward.

Men who love women and women who love men will appreciate this

truly great movie and its meaning.

Jake in the Heartland

>Sorry, call me paranoid, but I don't want anybody's software monitoring my music library.

You're not paranoid, you've already experienced the Amazon worms.

Most kids just click on anything for instant gratification without a thought to consequences. Amazon has become too big, too hard sell for my taste. I NEVER use Google or the wormy gmail.

Good thing is just wait awhile and some other huge company will knock them off the pedestal. Look at MySpace & ebay...

• 4 months later...

This response is coming years after your Susan Hayward post and the comparison to Ida Lupino. I would agree with you that that display similar characteristics. Have you seen Ms. Lupino in "The Hard Way" and "Ladies in Retirement" ? Both great films and I know the Ladies in Retirement is on DVD and possibly The Hard Way. Thanks for your post.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings