Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Walter Matthau - unbilled bit part in Bullitt?

jblowzir

Recently Robert Osborne introduced a screening of Bullitt and mentioned that Walter Matthau had an unbilled bit part in the film. Curious, I tried to find the scene. Folks online pointed to a scene where Bullitt requests a car from the auto pool and is informed by a desk clerk (presumably Matthau) that no cars are available.

The scene takes place at about the 75 or 80 minute mark. I can’t deny that the clerk looks a bit like Matthau, but I have a hard time believing that he’d have taken such a nothing role at that point in his career. By 1968 he’d already played a bunch of important lead roles (The Odd Couple was in the can, The Fortune Cookie, Charade, Lonely are the Brave, and many more.) Can anyone confirm or deny that Matthau appears in the film, and if so, in what scene?

Edited by: jblowzir on Nov 14, 2012 7:28 PM

I can't confirm it. But I can't find it hard to believe, either.

Matthau had a gamling problem and wasn't above taking anything that might have helped pay off his debts. Witness his comic relief non-speaking role in *Earthquake* . That and all that plaster-of Paris his wife put on her face must have cost a FORTUNE! ;)

Sepiatone

And what was the name of that Bob Hope comedy/western where during the gunfight scene, all sorts of noted "western" stars have cameos in where THEY were the ones providing the dead-eye shooting? Even BING CROSBY shows up claiming, "This kid needs all the help he can GET!"

I have other examples in the back of my head, but can't come up with the details.

HATE when that happens.

Sepiatone

Okay, I've just checked IMDb's complete(including the uncredited) list of cast and crew for the movie in question here, and there were two "clerks" listed...one says "Desk Clerk" and it was played by actor Al Checco here..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwccvCBGXOLG19mNj0kzq

...who I suppose might be considered to look a little like Matthau.

The other just says "clerk", and it shows an actor by the name of Thomas Duncan playing that part, though unfortunately I could not find an internet picture of that gentleman.

And so, unless Matthau might have used the pseudonym of "Thomas Duncan" in this baby, much as Steve McQueen used to sometimes race motorcycles under the name of "Harvey Mushman" in order to hide his identity from the starstruck and the movie honchos who didn't particularly care for the idea of their star actor racing motorcycles, I'd say it was probably Mr.Checco who has been mistaken for Matthau over the years.

sfpcc1 wrote: I really don't see the resembelence to Walter Matthau. The only thing I see in common in the weary **** of look in their faces.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I just can't resist the following here now...and so taking a page out of Bob Hope's playbook when he said that now famous line about Democrats in The Ghost Breakers and which has gone viral in YouTube the last few years...)

OH! You mean just like a lot of Republicans have on THEIR faces now after the last election???

ROFL

Sorry, but like I said, I JUST couldn't resist this one...especially 'cause your setup was just SO freakin' PERFECT for it, sfpcc1...thanks dude! ;)

(...continuing to ROFL)

And NOW...finance wrote: By way of comparison, Paul Newman used to race automobiles under the name "Paul Newman".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's true finance, EXCEPT for those times he'd blacked out one of his front teeth and raced under the name "Alfred E." Newman!

(...betcha didn't know THAT, did ya smart guy?!!!)

;)

Well, not to nitpick here finance, but while I HAVE heard the expression that someone was SO homely that their face could metaphorically "stop a clock", I'm wonderin' here how or why someone would say a person's face "COULD have stopped a truck"?

Now, not that I doubt someone somewhere HAS said that, but wouldn't it make a little more sense if that someone would say somethin' like THIS instead?:

"That guy/gal's face MUST have stopped a truck!" ?

You see, especially in the case of Messrs. Matthau AND Shull here, as it pretty much appears that both these gentlemen just MIGHT have INDEED "stopped a truck" with their face SOMETIME in the past...RIGHT?!

(...the issue of "past tense" being the operative here, you see!)

;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings