Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jonathan Winters B-Day (Belated)

RMeingast

Watching "The Loved One" tonight had me thinking about Jonathan Winters...

His 87th birthday just passed on November 11:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Winters

Might be nice to have a Jonathan Winters day on TCM...

I like "The Loved One": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Loved_One_%28film%29

"Viva Max!" was a favourite as a kid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viva_Max!

And of course, another favourite is "The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Russians_Are_Coming,_the_Russians_Are_Coming

Anyway, belated Happy B-Day, Mr. Winters...

Jonathan Winters is remembered for all sorts of great things, but upstate New Yorkers fondly recall him as the voice of Schultz and Dooley, the lovable talking beer mugs, for the long-running Utica Club beer ad campaign. The spots are available over the Internet and hold up today.

THE LOVED ONE is a real satirical hoot...

Great cameo's and even had me embarrassed for mama's little joy boy... Amazing range for Steiger. thinking of him in such dramatic roles as OTWF, et al, and contrast that with TLO.

Then Brando was really out there in MISSOURI BREAKS & his rendition of Dr. Moreau, as well.... And some of the stuff he came up with in MUTINY was off the wall. Real tongue-in-cheek :)

Great offbeat characters.. all!

Reminded me of Stacy Keach, Jr. in BREWSTER McCLOUD...

"bird doo-doo, Brewster, that's bird doo-doo..."

I used to watch the Jonathan Winters Show on TV when I was a kid, the guy was such a quick wit, he was amazing... Ever see him and Robin Williams trade spontaneous banter?

Robin & Jonathan are two of a kind and really feed off each other... literally crazy stuff!

Happy belated B Day Johnny! & thanks for the memories & many smiles!

> {quote:title=VP19 wrote:}{quote}Jonathan Winters is remembered for all sorts of great things, but upstate New Yorkers fondly recall him as the voice of Schultz and Dooley, the lovable talking beer mugs, for the long-running Utica Club beer ad campaign. The spots are available over the Internet and hold up today.

Yes, check it out here (from 1962):

Another one (with Winters doing impressions of Bogart, Lugosi, Gable):

Yes, voices definitely Winters... Funny... Hibi's favourite beer, btw... ;)

Too bad I don't drink anymore... Looks like good beer...

Maybe not as good as Canadian beer, but worth a try, I guess... ;

*The Loved One* is one of the brilliant, crazy films. In a film with many extraordinary performances by great and famous actors, including Jonathan Winters, the prize for uniqueness has to go to Ayllene Gibbons as Mrs. Joyboy, the mother of Rod Steiger's character.

It's interesting to compare the grotesque eating scene in The Loved One, directed by Tony Richardson a few years after he made Tom Jones, with the sensual eating scene featuring Albert Finney and Joyce Redman in Tom Jones.

You do realize, Stephan, that Robin Williams cites Winters as a major influence? Not hard to notice. It's why Williams lobbied hard to get Winters a recurring role on his "Mork and Mindy" show.

Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Jonathan. You're a HOOT!

Sepiatone

As a teenager I remember my now dearly departed father nearly falling off the couch in laughter at Jonathan Winters' antics whenever we'd watch his old television program....something of which I don't recall any other comedian of the time eliciting from Pop.

Have to add one thing here, however. I've always thought Robin Williams' often wildly animated routines always reminded me MUCH more of Dick Shawn's in totality than it ever did Mr. Winters'.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings