Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd Showings?

solarblast

*Sherlock Jr.* was shown just this past weekend.

To see any scheduled showings over the next two-three months, type in the actor's name into the Database Search window on the upper right of this page. It will display all scheduled films with that actor through January (or maybe even February.)

All of Harold Lloyd's Silent features and a number of Two and Three-reelers have been shown on TCM Mutiple-times. However, TCM's contract with the Lloyd Estate may not be what it once was with the films currently out of print on DVD in the United States. The New-Line/Warner Home Video set expired over a year ago. They are still in print overseas on DVD from another distributor in Pal Format Region 2, as far as I know.

A Lloyd Blu-ray set has been rumored, but it may be a ways away from actually happening. Don't have any firm details. It's in the works. I should say that all of the Lloyd Silent features have aired with the exception of WELCOME DANGER, The Talkie version has been shown, but not the Silent one which Robert Israel just completed a score for a couple years back.

With Keaton, TCM just ran SHERLOCK JUNIOR a couple nights ago with the new Mont Alto score. All of Buster's Silent features have been shown on TCM as well.

I sure haven't kept my eye on the ball over the last few years regarding the silent comedians. A few days ago I stumbled onto three Kino VHS tapes I have of Keaton. That's what got me thinking about DVD versions. I can convert the three to DVD. The set contains, Saphead, High Sign, Sherlock Jr., Three Ages plus 3 or 4 more. I have a Hard Act to Follow, but it has shortened versions of a few of his movies among a bio of his career. It seems like Kino is gone or taken up with a German Co.

Regarding my ability to convert recorded movies via DirecTV, there is a wrinkle with short features. They take a good bit of work to say put 10 30 min movies onto a DVD. There's not ability to say put all 10 separatedly onto a DVD. Sort of like chapters. All I could get is a continuous unbroken stream onto ad DVD.

I'd sure like to get The General, and Safety Last. I think the TCM store has them. Possibly in sets. I don't need all of them. I think there's a box set that costs $100+ for Keaton. I do have volume 3 of a Lloyd set. (Newline?) I think the set is still available, but not singularly.

Of course, there's L&H. I have several 8 mm reels of a number of their movies. Maybe they'll show up on TCM Sunday silents. I'll be looking for them and the others in coming months.

I hope TCM stays commited to these old comedians.

> {quote:title=solarblast wrote:}{quote}It seems like Kino is gone or taken up with a German Co.

Kino is still alive and well, better than ever in fact. They spent the last few years releasing definitive editions of all of Buster Keaton's films on Blu-ray (as well as new DVD editions) and are about to issue a new version of their Keaton boxset containing everything they have access to.

On Laurel & Hardy: Actually, a bunch of their silent shorts were on earlier this year. Can't say when they'll show up again.

> {quote:title=solarblast wrote:}{quote}

> Regarding my ability to convert recorded movies via DirecTV, there is a wrinkle with short features. They take a good bit of work to say put 10 30 min movies onto a DVD. There's not ability to say put all 10 separatedly onto a DVD. Sort of like chapters. All I could get is a continuous unbroken stream onto ad DVD.

I can suggest only that you look in your owner's manual or the on-screen menu for a "divide title" feature. On four of our five DVD recorders that allows us to record several movies as a continuous operation and then split them apart so that each appears as a separate title in the disk menu.

It is also possible to do that on the recorder which does not have a dedicated "divide title" feature but it involves removing all chapter marks and then putting in a chapter mark where we wish a division and then putting that chapter mark into the menu under its own name.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings