Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Manitou"

RMeingast

Had occasion to watch some/most of "The Manitou" last night:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Manitou

Surprised to see Tony Curtis in this flick... Susan Strasberg too. Stella Stevens, Ann Sothern, Burgess Meredith, you name it... Surprised anybody was in this flick, I guess... ;)

Oh well... Something different... Have no idea why TCM would schedule it for last night?

Maybe to compete with AMC's "Fear Friday" films??

Anyway, this movie doesn't hold up very well today but is still apparently adored by some horror flick fans...

Funny review here:

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/manitou/

Also supposed to be Canada/US movie?? Not sure what the Canadian connection is other than maybe it was released in both Canada and the US??

Oh well, thanks TCM...

I guess sometimes during the 70's Tony Curtis started doing shlock. I think he had a reoccurring role in the Robert Urich vehicle Vegas, (not to be confused with the current Dennis Quaid / Michael Chicklis CBS show.) His Some Like It Hot Castmate Jack Lemmon had a much better run as he got older. I guess an exception would be the Nicholas Roeg film Insignificance.

I bought the Manitou last year on VHS. It's pretty funny. My friend met Susan Strassbourg when she was doing a play. He thought about asking her about that film but he didn't.

I used to go to many of those late '70s - early '80s horror flicks. I remember The Manitou, haven't seen it since it came out. Enjoyable as I recall. Am I remembering correctly that there's a scene in which Tony Curtis throws a typewriter at the creature, saying, "Take that, Manitou!"

> {quote:title=RMeingast wrote:}{quote}

>

> Surprised to see Tony Curtis in this flick... Susan Strasberg too. Stella Stevens, Ann Sothern, Burgess Meredith, you name it... Surprised anybody was in this flick, I guess... ;)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

At some point in their careers, almost every big name actor does a film or two like this just for the money. It's a shame, but as they age the quality offers stop coming while they still have to eat and pay the bills.

WAIT! I'm not familar with any "two-headed" film with my man Bruce?!!!

Which film was THAT?

(...btw and speakin' of Dern...you probably know of that classic comeback he told John Wayne just before they filmed the scene in The Cowboys where he shoots Duke in the back, right?!) ;)

Hey! Not ONLY Dern, but "Marilyn Munster" AND Casey("Keep your feet on the gound but keep reaching for the sky" Kasem is in this puppy! Wow, I GOT to see this one now!

And re the Dern/Wayne thing. Here's the story...

First, you have to consider the time and the extreme political polarization there was in America in 1972(yep, maybe even more than today, believe it or not) when The Cowboys was being filmed. Remember, The Vietnam War was still raging that year.

Now, just before filming the scene in which Wayne's character is murdered by Dern's character,(who once again was playing the psychotic type which he was often cast as in those days) and in which Dern's character shoots Wayne in the back to perform the dirty deed...well, according to Dern himself, just before it was filmed, Wayne walked up to Dern and told him, "Ya know, America is gonna HATE you for doin' this to me!", to which Dern's response back was..."Yeah, but they're gonna LOVE me in Berkeley!"

Actually you'll be surprised here. According to Dern again, Wayne fell over himself laughing and yelled out to the assembled cast and crew, "You hear this guy?! That's why this son of a b*tch is always working while the rest of you sit around on your a** all day."

Yep, I think the guy probably had a better sense of humor about himself than many have given him credit for.

(...though of course, like yourself, I'm assuming, I was never an adherent to his brand of political thought, either)

> {quote:title=RMeingast wrote:

> }{quote}Had occasion to watch some/most of "The Manitou" last night:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Manitou

>

> Surprised to see Tony Curtis in this flick... Susan Strasberg too. Stella Stevens, Ann Sothern, Burgess Meredith, you name it... Surprised anybody was in this flick, I guess...

>

I saw most of it. Didn't care much for it. I kind of stuck around just to see Ann Sothern. She still looked beautiful!

> {quote:title=sfpcc1 wrote:}{quote}I guess sometimes during the 70's Tony Curtis started doing shlock. I think he had a reoccurring role in the Robert Urich vehicle Vegas, (not to be confused with the current Dennis Quaid / Michael Chicklis CBS show.) His Some Like It Hot Castmate Jack Lemmon had a much better run as he got older. I guess an exception would be the Nicholas Roeg film Insignificance.

>

> I bought the Manitou last year on VHS. It's pretty funny. My friend met Susan Strassbourg when she was doing a play. He thought about asking her about that film but he didn't.

>

Yes, Curtis probably figured money is money... As long as the cheque doesn't bounce, what the heck, eh??

And Tony Curtis probably thought it was a comedy?? Who knows??

Guess "The Manitou" was part of that rage of "horror flicks based on novels" back in the 1970s.

"The Exorcist" was a hit, "The Manitou" not quite...

As for Susan Strasberg, lucky for your friend... If he had mentioned "The Manitou," Strasberg might have grown one just for him...

Edited by: RMeingast on Nov 18, 2012 10:21 AM

Correct typo.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Swithin wrote:

> > }{quote}Am I remembering correctly that there's a scene in which Tony Curtis throws a typewriter at the creature, saying, "Take that, Manitou!" Yes, there was such a scene!

Yep, Tony C. tosses a typewriter at the Manitou critter. But he doesn't say anything ('tho he's probably thinking "Take that, you mf Manitou")... The Manitou critter retreats at the sight of the electric typewriter flying through the air towards it and then the typewriter explodes and this makes the Manitou critter disappear... Why?? Don't ask me??

Watch the scene in this video clip (fast forward to the 7:00 mark, unless you want to view the entire clip):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzM3IbFI3fA

I suppose Curtis does have some one-liners in this flick... It's campy...

TCM probably aired it to compete with AMC's "Fear Friday" movies... Who knows...

P.S. For you youngsters, a typewriter is a machine that people once used to put letters on paper.

You pressed a letter and an ink impression was left on the paper in the machine...

An ingenious invention. Later the machines were electrified to supposedly make them better...

(Were electric typewriters better than manual typewriters? I'm old enough to remember them and am not sure?? No jams and could change fonts with electric, I guess...)

Also, an electric typewriter was/is a bone fide weapon to use against any Manitou...

So, if nothing else, they were/are always handy for that...

Edited by: RMeingast on Nov 18, 2012 12:25 PM

Correct typo.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}*The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant* (1971)

>

> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067245/

>

>

> No, I don't know *The Cowboys* anecdote. I'm not a Wayne fan. But, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

>

I don't think I've had the pleasure of viewing "The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_2-Headed_Transplant

I DO remember Ray Milland and Rosey Grier in "The Thing with Two Heads:"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_with_Two_Heads

In that one, Milland plays a cranky old racist (anti-black) who wants his head transplanted onto a younger body.

Only problem is that the only body available is African-American Rosey Grier's and when Milland wakes up with his white, balding old head on an African-American's body, Milland ain't too pleased...

I haven't seen that flick for many years, but I do remember seeing Milland in it and thinking that his cranky character probably wasn't a stretch to act considering he was in such a crap movie...

(Not the racist part of the character, 'tho mouthing racist lines would probably make anybody cranky too)...

I mean, this is Ray Milland...

But, the cheque probably helped pay some bills or whatever...

BTW, Milland played the same character in another movie the same year, "Frogs":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frogs_%28film%29

In that film, Milland plays a cranky old racist (anti-frog) who wants to wipe out all the frogs and other critters on his property using chemicals. The frogs and their critter allies don't take kindly to this and plot revenge... That's enough of the plot of this film... You can find out the rest if you wish...

Suppose TCM could also have a Rosey Grier day of films... 'Tho think Grier was in only two movies: the one above, and 1979's "The Glove":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Glove_%28film%29

Grier is still alive and well at 80 years young...

RMeingast: Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane. We were still using a typewriter at my office as well as a computer when the company closed our branch in 2008. It was a memory type which let you type and edit what you wrote before printing and was good for just single envelopes. I also used the "IBM Selectric", with which you changed fonts by changing the ball that struck the paper and could correct with a ribbon. In college I also had a manual Underwood from the 50s and respect how accurate folks had to be as correcting something on this was nearly impossible. Sometimes I miss simply popping in an envelope and typing away as opposed to setting up my printer to do it but the choices in fonts and ability to edit as I go speak out for progress.

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}RMeingast: Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane. We were still using a typewriter at my office as well as a computer when the company closed our branch in 2008. It was a memory type which let you type and edit what you wrote before printing and was good for just single envelopes. I also used the "IBM Selectric", with which you changed fonts by changing the ball that struck the paper and could correct with a ribbon. In college I also had a manual Underwood from the 50s and respect how accurate folks had to be as correcting something on this was nearly impossible. Sometimes I miss simply popping in an envelope and typing away as opposed to setting up my printer to do it but the choices in fonts and ability to edit as I go speak out for progress.

Yes, I grew up using manual and electric typewriters...

And I do notice the typewriters in old films made before the advent of computers...

Good and bad about everything, I suppose.

Modern machines much easier to use (you may not agree if you've ever had software or hardware problems with a computer printer) but some just liked the way the ink looked on the paper from an old manual typewriter. People could get jobs with just their expertise at typing at one time...

Oh well... Time marches on...

As for "The Manitou," electric (and manual) typewriters were heavy things so I can understand the Manitou critter gettting the heck out of the way when Tony C. throws one at it...

(The Manitou critter zaps it mid-air causing it to explode and sending plastic and ink all over the place...)

> Am I remembering correctly that there's a scene in which Tony Curtis throws a typewriter at the creature, saying, "Take that, Manitou!"

I guess you can learn something from watching *Autumn Leaves*: how to deal with an attacking Manitou.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}I liked the Olivia Newton-John theme song.

>

> Oh wait, that was *Xanadu*.

When I checked the TCM Canadian schedule the other day, "The Manitou" had the coloured box with "Musical" beside it.

I checked it a few times, because while "The Manitou" may be many things, it ain't a musical, and thought I'd made a mistake. But there it was.

Unfortunately, the schedule for last Friday is gone, so you can't see it too...

I thought it was funny...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings