Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hindi Movie Channels?

RMeingast

Anybody know anything about these TV movie channels being offered for free preview by the local cable TV provider in my area? I don't want to know how much extra they cost, but want to know how they rate as movie channels...

Filmy: Supposed to be India's premiere "Bollywood" movie channel...

ATN Movies Ok: Another Hindi movie channel...

KTV: This one is for Tamils and airs the best "Kollywood" films...

Read more about Tamil cinema here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamil_cinema

Zee Cinema: One more Hindi movie channel. This one supposed to have the largest privately held "Bollywood" movie library.

TV Japan: Features Japanese movies...

Don't know about any of those....I kind of wish I still had cable TV now.

I will tell you when I first got cable (while living in Massachusetts) Zee Cinema was included in the package which began my love of Bollywood.

I'd watch these for HOURS despite no English subtitles-I had no idea about the plot, just enjoyed the spectacle of singing, dancing, exotic clothes and locations.

Maybe today's sophisticated TVs have translations/captioning, so you'll at least be able to follow the plot.

Otherwise you're better off getting "super hit" Bollywood (often Tamil & other genres too) DVDs from your local library that have subtitles. I have bought DVDs at my local Indian grocery without English subtitles too. Beware!

>I have bought DVDs at my local Indian grocery without English subtitles too. Beware!

Ha, ha, ha! My local Wal-Mart has a Mexican movie DVD section, and they don't have English subtitles. :)

I've had Univision on my Directv for years. It's a great Mexican oriented TV channel, but none of their shows have English subtitles. Their headquarters is based in Miami. I wrote Univision years ago asking for English subtitles, but still no response.

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}Don't know about any of those....I kind of wish I still had cable TV now.

>

> I will tell you when I first got cable (while living in Massachusetts) Zee Cinema was included in the package which began my love of Bollywood.

>

>

> I'd watch these for HOURS despite no English subtitles-I had no idea about the plot, just enjoyed the spectacle of singing, dancing, exotic clothes and locations.

>

>

> Maybe today's sophisticated TVs have translations/captioning, so you'll at least be able to follow the plot.

>

>

> Otherwise you're better off getting "super hit" Bollywood (often Tamil & other genres too) DVDs from your local library that have subtitles. I have bought DVDs at my local Indian grocery without English subtitles too. Beware!

>

Yes, I watched these channels last night - may as well as they're on free preview...

ATN Movies Ok has English subtitles on all the films so no problems there...

Schedule here with movie titles:

http://asiantelevision.com/curr_ATNMoviesOK.htm

Bollywood stuff... And I do like Bollywood...

Nothing wrong with Hindi films... They have an huge film industry in India and quality of movies varies, of course...

The other channels don't have subtitles but still you can gather what's happening by just watching...

KTV is all "Kollywood" and in Tamil, but again you can understand what's happening without English subtitles: http://www.sunnetwork.in/tv-channel-details.aspx?Channelid=3&channelname=KTV&LanguageID=1&Type=q

Nice to see something different...

Edited by: RMeingast on Nov 16, 2012 12:23 PM

Forgot a link.

I think that must be a regional thing. Here in New York I've never seen a Wal-Mart with a section of Spanish language films. Not to say it would be a bad thing since there's a growing hispanic population in this state..

Closest I came was at a dollar store once when I bought a DVD with a British Sherlock Holmes film and Hitchcock's YOUNG AND INNOCENT both dubbed into Spanish and without subtitles. Too bad since the prints were exceptionally good for public domain films.

> {quote:title=sfpcc1 wrote:}{quote}I've notice that Bollywood films seem to have longer runnning times than American cinema. 150 minutes plus is not uncommon.

As ``Bollywood,`` ``Kollywood,`` and other films made in India have become more popular and been exported outside India, they have become more ``Westernized`` and that means the running time has become shorter. Also, the ``Westernization`` of India itself as living standards have risen has meant changes in movie length as people lead busier lives, I guess.

Mostly it`s just a cultural thing. Indians don`t have a problem with long movies...

And I suppose Indians could throw the question back and ask why are Hollywood movies so short in length... Hollywood films seem to be running shorter and shorter times while ticket prices remain the same or rise...

India has a long and excellent film history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_India

and it`s unfortunate that Canadians and Americans are so seemingly unaware of it.

Might be nice, for example, if TCM would pick up and air some films from India`s ``Golden Age`` of movies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_India#Golden_Age_of_Indian_cinema

TCM has aired other foreign films from Europe and Asia, so why not India too...

Or has TCM aired Indian movies in the past too...

Anyway, some pointers (FAQs) on Indian cinema (from Time magazine) here:

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,475407,00.html

In Canada, I think the South Asian population is about 4% of the total population (Chinese are also at about 4% of the population)... That`s more than a million people in Canada from India and other South Asian countries (out of a total pop. of 33 million)... So there is a market in Canada for ``Bollywood`` and ``Kollywood films``...

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

>

> TCM did do a salute to Bollywood but it's been quite awhile.

Yes, back in 2003. Thanks, Lzcutter...

Bit of controversy back then about choices of films TCM made:

http://forums.tcm.com/search.jspa?threadID=&q=bollywood&objID=&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15

A user named "Isthmusceo" wrote:

"Firstly, I would like to applaud TCM for this move in the direction of diverse programming. The choice of movies however is a little ill advised. In America there is little exposure in the mainstream to any other culture and therefore as a first it is extremely important that people are not alienated by showing the B movies in the genre. Amar, Akbar, Anthony is considered a cheesy, cartoonish romp even amongst hardened Bollywood fans. There are such wonderful movies out there after all there are according to some accounts hundreds or movies produced each year, a better selection would not be difficult.

Secondly, I have been a fan of Ismail Merchant for many years and some of his movies are amongst my all time favs. However, his explanations of certain aspects of the genre were incompetent. Maybe, he has been out of touch for so long that the culture now escapes him.

Thirdly, I hope this can perhaps be made into a permanent feature with even one Bollywood movie a month. I would hope the powers that be will consider that.

Fourthly, I would comment that those who have not taken to these movies, I would hope would be a little more open minded than commenting "What the .... is Bollywood". What this board has indicated to me is that more education is needed on what the cultural references are and why certain aspects of the movies are constant - such as why are they almost always musicals. I think this is indicative of a lot of American culture today - more education is needed in this country to realize that beyond it's borders, other cultures exist.

Finally, thank you TCM, this is wonderful, please continue with this and maybe we can run some sort of selection on your website where people familiar with Bollywood can vote on what they think should be shown and perhaps you can get better copies also next time. My copies at home are better quality. This reflects on the opinions of people watching on the whole genre."

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?messageID=309975?

I suppose if TCM did this again in future, maybe films chosen from India's "Golden Age" would be more suitable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_India#Golden_Age_of_Indian_cinema

Maybe TCM needs to just do a few films here and there among other foreign films rather than a block of films all at once or in the same month??

Anyway, just an idea for something different...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings