• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sign the Petition (If you please)

RMeingast

Sad news this week up in Canadaland (in Ontario, to be exact) regarding TVO's

"Saturday Night at the Movies."

Seems that "SNAM" is going to be cancelled after this current season... :_|

Read more here: http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/article/1287751--tvo-fans-rally-to-save-saturday-night-at-the-movies

Anyway, cinephiles in Ontario, and elsewhere, all upset...

BUT, someone has started a petition hoping to have the decision to can "SNAM" reconsidered and overturned.

"SNAM" is a classic movie program that has been on air for 38 years, since March 30, 1974.

The show has featured at least 1,000 taped interviews with movie stars, directors, film crew, film critics, academics, you name it, and aired at least 1,500 films...

Read more about the show here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_at_the_Movies

I posted this to TCM Message Board as a FYI to users who live in Ontario and are also TCM fans...

But I guess anyone can sign the petition.

Why sign the petition?

First, because it's an excellent program and one of the few intelligent TV programs on air anywhere that deals with classic film. TCM fans know, for example, that there's not much out there on cable and satellite that's any good.

Second, more TV programs dealing with classic films provide viewers with choice. The loss of even one excellent program like "SNAM" limits what classic cinephiles have access to on cable and satellite, wherever they live.

Films aired on a quality program like "SNAM" can inspire fans to request the same film on TCM so that others can share the viewing experience, or vice versa.

More is better for classic film fans. The more quality classic film channels or programs there are, the better for all fans. That goes for Canadians AND Americans (even 'tho Americans may not have access to "SNAM"...).

Third, without "SNAM," I'll be watching more TCM and that means posting more often to the TCM message board... Yep, more of moi 24/7/365... (Marine Gen. John Allen and his estimated 20,000 to 30,000 emails to Jill Kelley won't be nothing compared to what I'll be writin'...) ;)

That should be reason enough to sign the petition...

So, finally, here the link to the online petition calling for "SNAM" to be saved:

http://www.change.org/petitions/tv-ontario-stop-the-cancellation-of-tv-ontario-s-saturday-night-at-the-movies

P.S. Just short of 1,000 signatures when I posted this...

Edited by: RMeingast on Nov 15, 2012 9:35 AM

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Signatures from non-Ontarionites (or whatever they're called) would be considered irrelevant signatures, wouldn't they?

People living in Ontario are called Ontarians...

As for signing the petition, don't think it matters where you live...

If you love classic films and don't want to see a quality program like "SNAM" disappear, I guess you should sign. Probably better if you have actually watched the program too, or have had some other relation to it, if a non-Canadian, I guess.

I do know that there are four or five regular users on the message board from Ontario, maybe more.

So just FYI for those people in case they haven't heard...

Article in Maclean's magazine about the demise of "SNAM" and why so many like it and have fond memories of it in the past:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/11/13/this-film-not-to-be-copied/

TVO was one TV station you could get with rabbit ears on your TV, no matter where you lived in Ontario. And back in the days when cable TV meant only 10 or 12 TV channels to choose from, TVO was one of the choices and that meant very many people watched "Saturday Night at the Movies" every week.

It was an excellent program and the longtime host, Elwy Yost, was very knowledgeable about film as well as being extremely likeable as a host. (Screenwriter Graham Yost is Elwy's son: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Yost)

Of course, the advent of satellite TV and the expansion of cable TV with hundreds of channels has led to the demise of "SNAM."

There are many TV channels devoted to movies now, TCM is one of them, that you can find among the hundreds of offerings available on modern cable TV or satellite TV.

Quality varies, from what they air on AMC to better quality on TCM.

But more choices for the viewer, means audience fragmentation, and often that means quality programs suffer...

For Canadians, and Ontarians, the loss of "SNAM' means fewer quality programs or channels devoted to classic films, from inside Canada.

Much of what is available to Canadians is of poor quality and is imported from the United States,

AMC being just one example.

TCM is great, but it's still a foreign TV channel directed at Americans.

The only "Canadian" part of TCM appears to be the schedule on the web page, for example...

(I suppose many of the actors in the films are Canadians too, etc...)

Anyway, I grew up watching "SNAM" and will miss it.

Have no idea what happens to the archives of 1,000 or more interviews with Hollywood actors, directors, film crew, film critics, academics, you name it???

The "interviews" segment between movies was often the better part of the program.

Elwy Yost and a cameraperson would show up and do an interview with some actor or director about the inside info. on a film - Elwy was a film expert so he would have interesting questions to ask them. It was never boring...

Anyway, enough of that. The petition is just FYI.

Sign it or don't sign it as you will...

I signed it RM. This is not only important for us ONTARIANS but Americans as well.

If you remember, the late Elwy Yost had hours & hours of interviews with a lot of Stars including, Stars from way back when, like Grear Garson , etc. These interviews were never made available in the US and are part of history!

You might say Elwy Yost was the original Robert Osborne (although EY's interviews were a lot longer & much more in depth then RO's)...who knows, maybe TCM got their ideas from Elwy Yost!

-twinkeee

Saturday Night at the Movies is a great program, a gift to film lovers. It would be a sad loss for it to be cut from TVO's programming. In fact, it's one of TVO's signature shows. And yes, it was around years, decades, before TCM was even a twinkle in Ted Turner's eye.

I signed the petition, but only with type. I don't have the technology to actually "autograph"/ cursive write, my actual signature. Hope it still counts.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Ontarians. LOL. I never knew that. I signed, even though I dont receive it. It had drop down menu for U.S. states, so I'm sure they welcome American signatures.............

Thanks, Hibi... You're now an honorary Ontarian... By the power invested in me by nobody in particular...

Yes, I'm not sure it will matter how many sign the petition, as I'm sure the decision is final, but at least people can try...

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}I signed it RM. This is not only important for us ONTARIANS but Americans as well.

>

> If you remember, the late Elwy Yost had hours & hours of interviews with a lot of Stars including, Stars from way back when, like Grear Garson , etc. These interviews were never made available in the US and are part of history!

>

>

> You might say Elwy Yost was the original Robert Osborne (although EY's interviews were a lot longer & much more in depth then RO's)...who knows, maybe TCM got their ideas from Elwy Yost!

>

>

> -twinkeee

>

Have no idea what will happen to all of that stuff now??

TVO is owned by the government so all those filmed interviews will probably sit in an archive someplace collecting dust...

But maybe they'll be like the NFB and their stuff ( http://www.nfb.ca/) and they'll put them all online for all to see... I kinda doubt it 'tho...

Edited by: RMeingast on Nov 15, 2012 11:40 PM

I signed this petition for two reasons

1. Although there are several channels now that show movies, most of what they show seemed to be picked as "time fillers" and not really worth the time. SNATM used to be shown on the Windsor Ont. CBC outlet and the fare offered was far better than most other channels.

2. Elwy Yost was kinda cool. And knew his stuff!

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}Did you catch the interview with Christopher Walken on CBC? It is on right now...

No, I didn't. Not sure what you're referring to?? CBC News? Or Jian Ghomeshi's show??

Walken and Catherine Keener were guests on a CBC Radio program recently (17 minute interview of Walken in radio studio with video):

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Shows/QwithJian+Ghomeshi/ID/2304520169/

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}Is Isabel Bassett & her partner Irnie still involved with TVO?

> They pull a lot of weight & would think that maybe they would make an effort to save all those interviews......such a shame :(

No, boss lady currently is Lisa de Wilde:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVOntario#Chairs_and_CEOs

I imagine interviews will be saved as TVO is a Crown corporation and so interviews are public property.

Most likely will collect dust in a government archive...

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}

> The Jian Ghomeshi Show on CBC late last night, happen to come across the interview and I thought I would notify you since I know you are a fan of his....It was a very very interesting & long interview, too bad you missed it!

Thanks. Video of interview done with Walken in studio here (17 minutes long after the few advertisements at beginning):

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Shows/QwithJian+Ghomeshi/ID/2304520169/

So I did watch it online at the link above...

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}

> The Jian Ghomeshi Show on CBC late last night, happen to come across the interview and I thought I would notify you since I know you are a fan of his....It was a very very interesting & long interview, too bad you missed it!

That's funny, I listen to "Q" all the time, and I don't remember an interview with Christopher Walken this week, or at all recently.

Maybe it was a repeat, sometimes they do that. Do you know when it was originally aired?

That is funny that you listen to him all the time and missed the interview because I never listen to him at all, never heard of him.

However, the interview was on CBC TV last night (Thurs) around 11:30, it could have been a repeat, that I do not know. I have BELL and I thought I saw something like CBC D, do not remember or the # of the channel, nevertheless, it was very interesting, too bad you missed it.

Long before TCM ever existed, I was absorbed every weekend in the world of Saturday Night at the Movies, with those incredible interviews that host Elwy Yost had with so many participants of classic films of the studio system days. In particular, I remember the rapport that Yost had with Greer Garson, when interviewing her at her (I believe) New Mexico home. She was extremely gracious and obviously enjoyed his company, knowledge and the respect that he accorded her.

A friend once called TVO for programming information on Saturday Night. Yost answered the phone and my friend arranged to have a meeting with him, bringing me along. When when met Elwy, while it was apparent that he had forgotten about the meeting, he still invited us into his office for a half hour. He was every bit as gracious and modest as he appeared on the show. He allowed us to do most of the talking. There wasn't a bone of ego in this most eager of all movie fans who became the host of this Canadian show that introduced so much of classic Hollywood to Ontario viewers.

I miss Elwy, who retired in 1999, passing away last year. Even though I stopped watching Saturday Night a few years after his retirement, I have signed the petition.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> That's funny, I listen to "Q" all the time, and I don't remember an interview with Christopher Walken this week, or at all recently.

> Maybe it was a repeat, sometimes they do that. Do you know when it was originally aired?

Must have been a repeat or something... He has both his radio show and then it's on CBC TV as well...

For the TV show, they air the interview that was done in the radio studio...

See the video in my prior post below.

I didn't hear it or see it on TV originally...

The radio interview was from September 2012:

http://www.cbc.ca/q/weekly/2012/09/05/this-week-on-q---sept-10-sept-1412/

Edited by: RMeingast on Nov 16, 2012 7:33 PM

Okay Mate,

I signed yer petition.

Gave my AK address, but I'll be down in the lower 48 for a while yet, so if they send me any info by snail mail it'll be awhile in forwarding it to me.

In the northland I've never been further east than Alberta, but spent time in BC, NW Territory, & the Yukon.

Quality TV has always been a treat wherever I've been. Hopefully if/when I get back north again, on the east side, SNATM will still be around to enjoy. Aaaaayyyy! :)

> {quote:title=TomJH wrote:}{quote}Long before TCM ever existed, I was absorbed every weekend in the world of Saturday Night at the Movies, with those incredible interviews that host Elwy Yost had with so many participants of classic films of the studio system days. In particular, I remember the rapport that Yost had with Greer Garson, when interviewing her at her (I believe) New Mexico home. She was extremely gracious and obviously enjoyed his company, knowledge and the respect that he accorded her.

>

> A friend once called TVO for programming information on Saturday Night. Yost answered the phone and my friend arranged to have a meeting with him, bringing me along. When when met Elwy, while it was apparent that he had forgotten about the meeting, he still invited us into his office for a half hour. He was every bit as gracious and modest as he appeared on the show. He allowed us to do most of the talking. There wasn't a bone of ego in this most eager of all movie fans who became the host of this Canadian show that introduced so much of classic Hollywood to Ontario viewers.

>

> I miss Elwy, who retired in 1999, passing away last year. Even though I stopped watching Saturday Night a few years after his retirement, I have signed the petition.

Yes, a very nice man. A close relative, a journalist, interviewed him as a project during her journalism school days. He was extremely nice and very gracious during the interview.

Elwy Yost, sadly, passed away last year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elwy_Yost

Interesting article (Nov.16, 2012) in "Winnipeg Free Press" about Graham Yost and some of his memories of his father and "Saturday Night at the Movies":

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/entertainment/movies/yosts-son-understands-loss-felt-by-fans-of-saturday-night-at-the-movies-179676351.html

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings