Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

I'm not always up on movie trivia like I'm sure many here at TCM message boards are, but something I just noticed watching this movie that I hadn't noticed or heard about before:

The Dolly Parton song, "I Will Always Love You," made famous by Whitney Houston plays in the background in a bar where Ellen is picked up by Harvey Keitel. First time I ever heard the song was in "The Bodyguard." Hearing it played in the background here is kind of a hoot!

I think Dolly recorded it twice before Whitney did it, then Dolly did it again. It's been a hit at least four different times, if not more. It was written about Porter Wagoner, and originally Elvis Presley was supposed to record it. That would've been a killer version.

The first time that Dolly recorded this song, it was early in her career. Then she re-recorded it when "Best Little Whorehouse" came out, updating the arrangement slightly. Then some years later, she recorded it with Vince Gill, making three hit versions of the same song! Way to go, Dolly!

Terrence.

Elvis was supposed to record it. Undoubtedly, it would've been a smash hit and maybe even bigger than Dolly and Whitney's versions combined...but his manager, Col. Parker, wanted 50% ownership of the song, and Dolly couldn't bring herself to give it away. She recorded it herself and held on to the royalties. It has made her a fortune.

There's one song featured on the Eagle When She Flies album that is called Family which I found to be very complex and progressive. She composed it with Carl Perkins, and it shows what a deep and thoughtful writer she really is.

I agree with darkblue in that I have little respect or reverence for Whitney Houston.

ESPECIALLY when comparing her to multi-talented Dolly Parton-who composes, plays musical instruments, sings, performs and simply entertains with her bigger-than-life persona-for DECADES.

All Whitney could do was hit high notes and perform, sometimes.

And what's most amazing about Parton is she reaches beyond the narrow country genre into pop, bluegrass, traditional folk (musically) and did pretty well in movies too.

"Jolene" is many people's favorite song of Dolly's, it's a standout. I love her traditional singing, as she did in the wonderful Trio albums.

And she did it all balancing that humongous wig on top of her head:

th?id=I.5030880634734225&pid=15.1

th?id=I.5004814495843635&pid=15.1

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:

> }{quote}That song truly is Dolly's. She sings it with such sensitivity, such human-ness. She feels it.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> The other person who had a hit with it sounds cold to me. A loud, blustery, show-off version that strikes me as an antithetical sensibility when compared to the original.

>

I agree completely!

That other person hitting those shrieking high notes has all the musical enjoyment of a siren splitting through one's head!

Never liked any of her stuff.