Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any chance on a "Sex and the Single Girl" moratorium?

AddisonDeWitless

Hi TCM.

It's been a great year-and-a-half, please don't think I've forgotten Temple Drake, Constant Nymph, Night Flight, Five Graves to Cairo, To Each His Own, The Letter (1929) and all the new Fox and Universal (and occasional Paramount) titles. For those, and any number of other terrific experiences, I say a hearty *"thank you."*

...But from the sched of late, I am thinking p'raps the money in the programming budget for 2012 has run out? (if so, I understand.)

I know it's not easy for you guys to do what you do with no advertising revenue and what I imagine is a skeleton crew of overworked, chain-smoking people working hard to try and wrangle new stuff, whilst obligated (apparently) to rely for financial reasons on certain titles quite heavily but...

I have noticed *Sex and the Single Girl * is on *A LOT.* And I mean a lot a lot. And here it is, on a Sunday afternoon- which seems to be a time where you re-re-re-re-re-re-re-run stuff, a lot. So, like I said, I'm not giving you guys a hard time, ya'll have been good lately...or at least up until a few weeks ago, but here the deal:

Sex and the Single Girl is a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE MOVIE.

And worst of all, it has three charming stars (Bacall, Wood and Curtis) who were all TERRIFIC in innumerable other things and they are all pretty awful in this. I'd hate to think that from the sheer volume of times you guys show this dud of a movie, that classic film neophytes (who I presume you'd like to attract during the weekend viewing period) will think, based on repeated viewings, that Wood, Curtis and Bacall were crummy actors. They weren't. This movie is crummy, it rubbed off on them.

So, politely, I do request- if you would. Please, please try to keep the number of air times for Sex and the Single Girl down to, um, well, ideally once or twice a year- but if it could be less, I personally would be thrilled to pieces (and I have suspicions I would not be alone in this.)

yours truly, etc etc

AdW

A big fat T-H-A-N-K-Y-O-U for posting this. And an even more humongous piece of gratitude if the programmers actually take this thread to heart.

This 'problem' began when TCM temporarily lost the rights to SOME LIKE IT HOT (also very over-played) and this film was suddenly put into frequent rotation, especially around the time Tony Curtis died. Finally, TCM did re-acquire HOT, but the channel never went cold on SEX.

This 'problem' is even more of a travesty when you look at the fact that CITIZEN KANE, probably the world's most lauded film (which is in the Turner Library), airs less than these Tony Curtis films.

Time for the programmers to do some serious reflecting and to re-balance the channel's priorities.

Here are two more offenders, each with 4 scheduled showings in the next three months:

My Fair Lady

Friday November, 23 2012 at 08:00 PM

Monday December, 10 2012 at 10:15 PM

Tuesday January, 1 2013 at 11:15 AM

Sunday February, 3 2013 at 11:00 PM

Funny Girl

Saturday November, 24 2012 at 04:30 AM

Thursday December, 27 2012 at 05:00 PM

Tuesday January, 1 2013 at 08:30 AM

Monday February, 25 2013 at 12:30 PM

Plus I know I've seen both of these films scheduled multiple times in the last few months.

Note that these two particular offenders got put on the schedule on January 1 when the TCM programmers realized to their horror that they had scheduled something interesting and non-generic - a Charles Bickford birthday tribute - on a holiday.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}I hadnt noticed it had been on a lot lately. I had noticed MFL has been on a LOT lately.....Nothing worse than a leering 60s sex comedy (with no real sex)..........

Better than having the Tony C. flick "The Manitou" on a LOT...

Unless you like Tony C.'s 1970s look and enjoy watching him throw an electric typewriter at a monster...

I think *Sex and the Single Girl* is a cute movie. NOT a "blockbuster" or "Towering epic' for sure, But it can be somewhat enjoyable to watch.

Having said that, I also agree with the frequency. There are movies I can watch over and over. But NONE to the point of infinity. With such a large library, if TCM wanted to show light fare on a sunday afternoon, there's always the not-so-great but amusing *Good Neighbor Sam* , *The Odd Couple* , *Barefoot In The Park* or any number of Doris Day/James Garner/Rock Hudson movies NOT shown with the frequency of "Single Girl". Hell, I'd just LOVE hunkering down with a fresh, hot cup of coffee some Sunday afternoon this winter and while away the hours watching LAUREL and HARDY shorts!

Sepiatone

DeWitless is just making an attempt at humour below...

And he can't flip to another channel as he has TCM hardwired directly into his brain.

I'm surprised TB hasn't heard of this new medical procedure...

They're trying it out on DeWitless...

So he has no choice in the matter...

I still vote for more TCM airings of "The Manitou."

U want Tony C, you got Tony C.... Forget "Sex and the Single Girl," "Sweet Smell of Success," and "Some Like It Hot." ;)

No, we do change the channel or open up a book instead, but many of us would rather be watching something not shown ad nauseum on TCM........I used to watch TCM a lot more, but the constant repeats has cut down on my viewing and that's a shame.........

I half agree with this thread. First off, the movie in question is really bad, I have watched parts of it on several occasions, but it is hard to take in a full dose. Major disappointment considering the star power in this one, I really like all of the leads but this film must be a low point in the careers of all involved. Maybe I should record the movie and just freeze frame on Natalie in a few scenes. This is a good film for the 3 am time slot (of course my 3 am is someone elses midnite, their misfortune). As for the second part of this thread, we go through this over and over again. Some films are going to get shown more frequently because of the budget constraint factor. If TCM were to broadcast each film only once over a period of time they might not be able to afford a 24/7 scheduling of movies. So if you get a deal on certain titles that allow you several broadcasts in a time period you take it. Is that really a problem here, does anyone watch every minute of everyday? I have to believe that everyone records some of the movies shown, so when a "turkey" like this one comes up, its a great time to watch that other flick you recorded last month. Or in my case, I'll pull out my DVD of "North By Northwest" :)

Well, I don't have much comment on the "TCM shows repeats of the same movies ad nauseum" theme, because I don't feel that strongly about it. Yeah, it would be nice if there weren't so many multiple airings of the same movies, but it's not exactly a huge problem in my life.

As several people have remarked, and as I myself have said many times when this subject comes up, there are so many other things to do besides watch some TCM offering that you don't like, or, even if you do like, have seen many times. Read, watch something from your own collection, email or phone a friend, go for a walk, take a nap, write a poem ( preferably about Joel McCrea) etc. etc.

Ok all that being said, I have to state unequivacally that *Sex and the Single Girl* is a wretched movie, a dismal failed attempt at a "daring" 60s bedroom farce. It's reminiscent of the much earlier "screwball comedy" genre that as often as not wasn't all that funny ( some exceptions there, for sure...).

*Sex and the Single Girl* has a thuddingly tedious plot. It's dumb, it's boring, and it's not funny.

(And I too like all the actors involved.)

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Curtis was the King of mediocre leering '60s sex comedies. They could have called him King Curtis, but he'd be confused with the rock sax player.

and yet...

sometime soon after he died, maybe he was SOTM? they showed the movie where he played the Native American guy who helped hoist the flag at Iwo Jima, I am sorry that I cannot recall the name, *but he was sensational in it.* There were moments were I forgot I was watching Tony Curtis, and that is saying something, because he nearly always has a very distinct Tony Curtisness about him (something I personally like, even when it's oddly idiosyncratic as in Spartacus. )

That's one reason why I'm a little chapped about the Sex and the Single Girl constant repeats- it's a terrible movie and it's a terrible movie that people who don't like Curtis and Wood (and even Fonda- yes, did you forget Henry was in this? I did)- or Bacall can single out as an example against them and you just *have* to say "well, yeah, I see your point there.That is a s*** film."

I also admit that I feel strangely defensive and protective of Natalie Wood. Baldwin **** me off when he said he was 50/50 on Wood when they showed Splendor on The Essentials. Natalie was a terrific actress, she just invested as much as she felt the material deserved (and I get that.)

And I know these "why are they showing such and such film AGAIN?" posts can get heated, I don't mean for them too. *I enjoy it when they open up and become discussions about the film itself* or when they veer into any other topic you wish.

Oh, and..just as I can change the channel from TCM when they're showing Sex and the Single Girl or Ben-Hur or Effin' Gigi or ETERNITY again, so can you visit any of the numerous other threads on numerous other topcs on the many pages of the board...but feel free to stick your head in and cluck your tongue at me any time you like.

As aformentioned, I'd say the programming up until a month ago on TCM has been *stellar and much improved from the situation of about two or so years ago.* I remember and cherish and appreciate the chances I've gotten to see a lot of stuff via the network and I get that money is tight right now, but it's fun sometimes to commiserate about these little things that stick in one's gullet:

for what else is modern living but a collection of little things lodged in one's gullet? Discussing them seems to be the best aid in the eventual swallowing process.)

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Nov 20, 2012 11:12 AM

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Nov 20, 2012 11:16 AM

Aww...Addison.

There are movies I don't care for either. But NONE with the militant fervor you reserve for this movie.

There ARE worse movies, y'know. AND many of THEM are shown as often, and in some cases, MORE often than SASG. It almost sounds personal.

Maybe instead of SWALLOWING the stuff in your gullet, you should HOCK IT OUT.

Sepiatone

Actually -damn, I'm negative today! - I don't like *Gigi* much either. Something about it depresses me. And I usually like musicals. I don't even care for most of the songs.

And yeah, there's something creepy about "Thank Heaven for Little Girls". Although I know the people who wrote the song didn't mean it that way at all, it's our prurient 2012 minds, projecting Lolita ideas onto the 1950s song. Geez, an old man can't sing about a little girl at all anymore.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings