Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Laurel and Hardy Collection. Too cheap???

solarblast

If what is listed on the first three discs is only that you get stuff that is in the public domain and clearly not their best work. "The Flying Dueces" is okay but "Utopia" can be a tough watch. From a historical stand "The Lucky Dog" is Stan and Ollie's first appearance together. "This Is Your Life is a rather awkward broadcast that shows that Stan doesn't seem to be real happy that he is part of the spotlight for the evenning. "Be Big" is a rather poor too long short film.

For that price I wonder about the quality of the prints. If you're looking for a real good collection spend the money and get "Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection." Nearly all their sound shorts and, save for those released by TCM, many of their features made at Roach. You also get foreign language versions of several shorts and a disc of special features.

Get this instead - http://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Hardy-Essential-Collection-Stan/dp/B005BYBZKY (check around during Black Friday or during the Christmas season, it may drop below $50.)

Not all public domain releases are bad (otherwise unavailable items are fair game) but in this case (your yahoo link) it's the kind of thing that helps no one - not the people who preserve and restore films and not the people who provide the results. Occasionally, cheap public domain releases even rip off the work of officially licensed distributors (a lot of PD Buster Keaton discs simply rip off the old Kino Laserdisc/DVD transfers.)

Buy official products of public domain material whenever possible or just download them from the internet (archive.org probably has a lot of that stuff.)

Hmmm, I started looking around for Big Business via Google, and found it listed for Silent Sundays, as here <http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/386324|445870/Big-Business.html>. It shows no date or time. I thought I'd check by going to TCM home, and found Silent Sundays (SS) listed there for Nov. No date or time for any of the movies there. What's happening?

It seems as though SS is some times preempted. Too bad onc can't check for a few months ahead of the current time.

"Silent Sundays" is usually only preempted in February and August. Otherwise its start time will vary between midnight and 1am.

"Big Business" isn't listed on the schedule. There may be a ray of hope as they have shown several L&H silent shorts this past year and many of them have come with a new score by Robert Israel. Maybe he is working on one for it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings