Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It happened last night -

yanceycravat

Yesterday I recorded IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT and watched it today. I noticed Ben's wrap-up was from 2 weeks ago when they aired FIDDLER ON THE ROOF.

I never saw that happen before. I was wondering if anyone else had.

I suppose it must be something of a nightmare keeping all the intros right.

Which also begs the question what does TCM do with all their old Intros. It might be fun to see some from the beginning.

Just a slice of TCM trivia.

Yancey

I watched AMC quite a lot back in the day. Supplemting my TCM Viewing with Paramount titles mostly.

I don't recall them reading the same scripts but it makes sense. I've noticed the TCM intros are altered somewhat to fit the theme of the moment but the basic facts are usually repeated.

Yancey

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}Wow, that must have been something to see. It seemed that the old AMC used to reuse the intros, they did recycle the scripts for them, Clooney and Dorian would be reading the same copy.

After AMC, Clooney hosted the WB westerns and private eye shows on Nostalgia (later Goodlife). That's when I first noticed the same anecdotes being repeated with different episodes, some of which I knew were wrong.

I still liked him doing them, though.

I do miss the orginal AMC (am I allowed to say that here?)

I used to love watching those Warner shows of my youth, especially *77 Sunset Strip* which is probably second only to *The Fugitive* among my all-time favorite TV shows. My cable system didn't pick it up until it was near the end of its days as Good Life and then they renamed it to The American Life Channel.

I recorded as many episodes as possible of *Strip*, not that it does me any good now as the VCR has died. I'll have to get one of those VCR/DVD combo units, but that won't be for a while. I just ordered a new TV as the old 27-inch Samsung is going so I'm upgrading to a 40-inch Samsung that Amazon had for 40% off today. As long as I pay it off in 24 months, it's interest-free.

I had forgotten that name change to American Life. I used to get the station on a CBand satellite dish, my cable doesn't have it.

They would never show the last season of Maverick, with just Jack Kelly nor the last season of Strip with just Zimbalist.

TCM's technical operations, like at all networks, rely on automation with program elements running off of servers. All it takes is for somebody to type one wrong number into the computer and strange things happen. I've seen it before.

The worst one was a couple years ago when some commercials meant for one of the other Turner channels, which operate from the same facility, ran on TCM by mistake. All hell broke loose here on the boards. Folks were sure that TCM had gone to the "dark side" and was becoming another AMC.

Mark,

Excellent explanation which also explains what happened a few weeks ago when the end of one of the movies was cut off before the film actually ended.

Ah, the digital age where so much can go so wrong thanks to faulty info input. :)

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}I wish someone would rerun those old WB series from the 60s. I used to watch them as a kid. Was a treat to be able to stay up late and watch 77 Sunset Strip.

WB kept churning those shows out during a writer's dispute, resulting in at least one Cheyenne and Bronco episode being identical. Even worse, they reworked one script and used it for both Strip and, I believe, Maverick.

Although the westerns still show up I haven't seen the PI shows since around the early 2000s.

Some places do show some of the old TV shows, but not all in one place. And following the schedule is kinda tricky with some 300+ channels to keep track of.

Encore Westerns, for example, show many *Rawhide* and *Wagon Train* episodes. But I always catch them while surfing, and never noted if they're shown in regular scheduling. Starz Suspense occasionally shows old *Alfred Hitchcock Presents* episodes, but again, I'm not sure of the scheduling.

It would be nice if they could all be wrapped up on one channel. One that would be part of every cable outlet's line-up. Does me no good if it's on some channel that my service doesn't carry. Nickleodeon used to show old TV stuff. Then TVland was supposed to take over those duties. Somehow they got blown off course.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=ginnyfan wrote:}{quote}

> WB kept churning those shows out during a writer's dispute, resulting in at least one Cheyenne and Bronco episode being identical. Even worse, they reworked one script and used it for both Strip and, I believe, Maverick.

>

> Although the westerns still show up I haven't seen the PI shows since around the early 2000s.

*77 Sunset Strip* had episodes that were based on the screenplays for *Dial M For Murder* and *Strangers on a Train*. In both, Richard Long guest-starred as the villain.

Meanwhile, on his own show *Bourbon Street Beat*, Long had the Edmond O'Brien role in a remake of *White Heat*.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ginnyfan wrote:}{quote}

> > WB kept churning those shows out during a writer's dispute, resulting in at least one Cheyenne and Bronco episode being identical. Even worse, they reworked one script and used it for both Strip and, I believe, Maverick.

> >

> > Although the westerns still show up I haven't seen the PI shows since around the early 2000s.

> > *77 Sunset Strip* had episodes that were based on the screenplays for *Dial M For Murder* and *Strangers on a Train*. In both, Richard Long guest-starred as the villain.

>

> Meanwhile, on his own show *Bourbon Street Beat*, Long had the Edmond O'Brien role in a remake of *White Heat*.

I loved Bourbon St. I'm sorry it was a one season show.

I remember the White Heat episode and the Dial M, I'm sure I saw the Strangers one, I'm just not recalling it now.

A Season One Cheyenne episode was the Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

> {quote:title=ginnyfan wrote:}{quote}

>

> I loved Bourbon St. I'm sorry it was a one season show.

> I remember the White Heat episode and the Dial M, I'm sure I saw the Strangers one, I'm just not recalling it now.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> A Season One Cheyenne episode was the Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

>

That Strip episode was titled "One False Step" and comes from the first season. Connie Stevens was also in it. I've heard of that Cheyenne episode, I haven't had the chance to see it yet. When The Good Life/American Life was airing those Warner shows, it seems that they were cherry-picking the episodes, from what I saw, they never ran a full season of any of the vintage shows.

*77 Sunset Strip* never went past the fourth season and there was one in particular that I wanted from that year titled "Reserved For Mr.Bailey." In that one, Stu Bailey is lured to a ghost town, but it's a trap set by someone seeking vengeance. The unique thing is that he's the only character seen during the whole program.

I would love to have seen and recorded "Five" from the final season, it was a five-parter that may have been the starriest series episodes ever, it had an amazing guest cast. While all of the old cast and trappings were thrown away, it was fun to see Bailey now working out of the historic Bradbury Building but the show took such a detour from itself that few bothered to tune in and by mid-season it was gone.

That's my dream collection to have on DVD, the whole run of the series. Judging by what I saw a few years ago, the episodes are in great shape, crisp B&W unlike some of those *Perry Mason* shows that I see on Me-TV.

>77 Sunset Strip never went past the fourth season and there was one in particular that I wanted from that year titled "Reserved For Mr.Bailey." In that one, Stu Bailey is lured to a ghost town, but it's a trap set by someone seeking vengeance. The unique thing is that he's the only character seen during the whole program.

That sounds like another borrowed plot. There was an episode of Wagon Train similar to that, made a few years earlier. Robert Horton's character was lured away from the others and to some ghost town where Dan Duryea (who else) attempted to kill him.

> TopBilled wrote:

> That sounds like another borrowed plot. There was an episode of Wagon Train similar to that, made a few years earlier. Robert Horton's character was lured away from the others and to some ghost town where Dan Duryea (who else) attempted to kill him.

Now that I would love to have seen. It struck me in seeing Horton on a bunch of the Hitchcock half-hours that in nasty mode, he actually reminded me of Duryea. There was something similar in the way he scowled and he even had a whine much like Duryea's in one of them.

You're right, they do resemble each other. If I am not mistaken, that episode of Wagon Train focuses solely on Horton's character. I don't think Ward Bond even appears in it. At the very end, Horton rejoins the others, but most of the episode is him trying to hunt down Duryea, with Duryea leading him into a trap in some remote ghost town. It's a very suspenseful episode.

Duryea appeared in seven different episodes of the series, and I cannot remember which one this was. It's from the Ward Bond years, and it does air on the Encore Westerns channel.

Wow - seven times? I must have seen at least one of them as *Wagon Train* was one of my mother's favorite shows. Most westerns that we watched she would tolerate, but *Wagon Train* and *Maverick* were the two that she would insist upon watching.

I'm a big Duryea fan, I never saw an episode of *Peyton Place* until he joined the cast. My mother comes from White Plains, NY which is also where Duryea originates. She used to tell me when I was little that in the 40s, before she married and left White Plains, that those who knew Duryea way back when were so surprised to see him playing such bad guys on the screen since he was apparently quite the opposite.

I've seen a short on TCM that shows him heading up a Boy Scout troop, I got quite a chuckle out of that.

Dan Duryea is another one who should receive a Summer Under the Stars tribute. There are so many great performers that would probably never get a Star of the Month tribute, but should at least have a full-day devoted to them. Dorothy Malone is another one (continuing the connection to TV's Peyton Place obviously).

Instead, TCM keeps rolling out Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant and John Wayne, stars that have had one tribute after another. I am writing this to play up the accomplishments of the Duryeas and Malones, and I know that if TCM's programmers thought long and hard about it, they would see that it would be very easy to include these folks for SUTS, folks who were stars in both film and television and have a built-in audience of fans to this day.

I agree about Duryea for a SUTS day. He's so rarely screened that within the last year I've added CHICAGO CALLING, THE UNDERWORLD STORY, BLACK ANGEL, CRISS CROSS, THE HILLS RUN RED and DO YOU KNOW THIS VOICE to my DVD collection.

That last one was sent to me by a friend who had copied his VHS recording of a TV airing to a DVD, I had never even heard of it before. I put a few words about it up on the IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058021/#comment

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings