Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's in a name?

Sepiatone

I just posted on another thread about seeing Harry Dean Stanton listed in the credits of an old WAGON TRAIN episode as just "Harry Stanton".

Made me wonder just when and why the "Dean" was added.

Another example I can think of is Lois Gossett Jr.

Early in his career, his name would be listed in credits as "Lou Gossett"

Then he made a few more well recieved movies and became "Lois Gossett".

THEN he started reaching "star" status, and he became "Lois Gossett JR."

I wondered if he ever got an acadamy award, would he then become "Lois Gossett JR. ESQ"?

I can remember when D.L. Hugley was just "Darrell". WHAT'S up with THAT?

Are there any more examples you all can come up with?

Sepiatone

WOW! HA HA!!

Let this be a LESSON for you kiddies...

NEVER type without a sufficient amount of COFFEE at hand!

Thanks for pointing out my blunder, finance.

Who knows? Since we've not seen hide nor hair of Gossett lately, he just MIGHT have!

Sepiatone

The HIGHEST? Fred, that's obviously Montgomery Cliff!

Yeah, coming up with "stage names" is one thing. But how many besides Harry Dean Stanton and Louis (OR Lois) Gossett JR. have ADDED to their names over the years?

Sepiatone

Yep ham, good point...though of course "Archie" began using the "Cary" moniker from the outset of his career.

What I find more interesting are actors who completely change their names in mid-career, such as the former "Herman Brix" who would become "Bruce Bennett". OR say, the soap actor known presently and for the last 3 or 4 decades as "Eric Braeden", but who started his career as "Hans Gudegast", and maybe best remembered using that name in the old '60s television program "The Rat Patrol" where he played the WWII German officer constanttly on the prowl in north Africa for the American soldiers driving their Willys Jeeps.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Charles Bronson;

In 1954, during the [House Un-American Activities Committee|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_Un-American_Activities_Committee|House Un-American Activities Committee] (HUAC) proceedings, he changed his surname from Buchinsky to Bronson at the suggestion of his agent, who feared that an Eastern European surname might damage his career. He took his inspiration from the Bronson Gate at [Paramount Studios|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramount_Studio|Paramount Studio], situated on the corner of [Melrose Avenue|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melrose_Avenue|Melrose Avenue] and Bronson Street.

Now there is a reason to change one's name!

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Nov 23, 2012 2:54 PM

I believe some actors end up modifying their names because of legal matters or conflict with some other actor, like Michael J Fox adding the "J" to his name because there was another actor "Michael Fox". --- I often wonder about people who adopt a stage name and become known publically by that name and yet they may never legally change their name. So did "Cary Grant" actually legally change his name right away, or maybe years later, if ever? If , after many years of going by "Cary" , Mr Grant/Leach is walking down the street and someone calls out "Hey Archie" , does he react immediately or has he put "Archie" out of his mind? Some people still go by their original names in their personal lives , like "Lauren Bacall" being called "Betty" by friends.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings