Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hate to Mention It, But...

RMeingast

What up with AMC???

Last night they aired "To Kill a Mockingbird" at 8:00 p.m. and today they aired "Gone With The Wind" during the day. And they airing "GWTW" again tonight at 8:00 p.m. against TCM's "To Kill a Mockingbird"??? And TCM's following that with "GWTW."

That's a lot of "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "GWTW" in two days...

Those films just regarded as American Thanksgiving movies, or are the channels trying to best each other??

Anyway, some comedy from Larry David here about Turkey Day:

Black Friday comedy here with Teri Hatcher:

And, finally, some Black Friday shopping survival tips from Bruiser Pro'Pane:

(Is it just me, or does Bruiser have a sort of Canadian accent above??? ;) )

Happy T-Day, Americans...

> {quote:title=ginnyfan wrote:}{quote}Nothing says Thanksgiving quite like the burning of Atlanta. I hear that although Sherman got blamed, it was actually started by a faulty turkey fryer.

AMC must be trying to outdo TCM or something??

And yes, I know all TCM fans are AMC haters... I know about the commercials, poor quality movies, and all that jazz...

Just wondered if "GWTW" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" are somehow American Thanksgiving movies???

> {quote:title=RMeingast wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ginnyfan wrote:}{quote}Nothing says Thanksgiving quite like the burning of Atlanta. I hear that although Sherman got blamed, it was actually started by a faulty turkey fryer.

> AMC must be trying to outdo TCM or something??

>

> And yes, I know all TCM fans are AMC haters... I know about the commercials, poor quality movies, and all that jazz...

>

> Just wondered if "GWTW" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" are somehow American Thanksgiving movies???

My answer was certainly tongue-in-cheek. I've never thought of either of those films as holiday movies in any way, nor do I think any Americans do. Interestingly, GWTW was shown for the first time on commercial television on NBC in November of 1976.

AMC also marathoned GWTW last year on Thanksgiving, I just checked. So I guess they are trying to make it a tradition somehow.

I forgot that you were asking as a Canadian or I wouldn't have been so flip.

I think TCM should advertise on other Turner channels, such as TBS and TNT, since a lot of cable and sat systems require a purchase of a 2nd or 3rd tier package in order to receive it, while, generally, AMC is available on basic cable.

So, a lot of basic cable users don't even know about TCM.

Of course, if someone has both channels, they surely would watch the film on the channel with no commercials. It's impossible to watch such a great long movie with it being interrupted every 5 minutes with commercials. Gone With the Wind must be seen with no commercial breaks.

> {quote:title=ginnyfan wrote:}{quote}

> AMC also marathoned GWTW last year on Thanksgiving, I just checked. So I guess they are trying to make it a tradition somehow.

>

> I forgot that you were asking as a Canadian or I wouldn't have been so flip.

No problems, Ginnyfan... I'm just curious, that's all. And you may very well be correct about wanting to start a tradition... But "To Kill a Mockingbird"?

Oh well... Actually, it's not Thanksgiving, yet (well, actually it is as I type this in the wee hours...).

And AMC actually has another tradition...

This year it's called "AMC's Thanksgiving With Your Godfather":

http://blogs.amctv.com/movie-blog/2012/11/thanksgiving-the-godfather-mob-movies-tournament.php

They're airing "Godfather" and "Godfather 2," and then "Godfather" again...

I guess all these flicks concern families and family matters and that relates to Thanksgiving...

"To Kill a Mockingbird," "Gone With the Wind," "Godfather," "Godfather 2," and AMC is also airing "The Poseiden Adventure" (1974) too...

And that last flick is sorta related to family as the survivors of the disaster have to band together, and bond together, to save themselves...

They're also all epic movies and something for families to watch when they're not eating, drinking, and fighting, er, bonding over the holiday...

Oh well, Happy Thanksgiving, Ginnyfan...

I guess that includes TCM without having to pay extra..........where I live, Niagara-on-the-Lake, I cannot get Rogers, only Bell or cogeco. I find Bell to be really expnsive..I pay over 220. mo. for Satelite, High Speed Internet & phone (including llong distance)

What he/she said.

Also what BFSF said here:

Hope it's not some corporate marketing ploy to see which "format" (AMC or TCM) attracts the most viewers or something.

Not a bad conspiratorial thought and one I wouldn't put past the last non-pay channel on overpriced garbage cable to try out. Wish I'd thought of it!

> {quote:title=BigFaceSmallRazor wrote:}{quote}I wish I hadn't, willbe (ha ha). I hope it remains a silly, paranoid conspiracy.

AMC is probably just throwing some stuff (stuffing?) out there to see what sticks to the wall...

Trying to start a Thanksgiving tradition... Let's see, they've aired "GWTW," "To Kill a Mockingbird,"

today they're airing "Godfather" and "Godfather 2," and then "Godfather" again...

Plus "The Poseidon Adventure."

Maybe AMC figures "The Poseidon Adventure" (1974 version) would make a good American Thanksgiving movie for all the ages??

So they could just be floating stuff out there to see what sinks (capsizes) or doesn't with viewers...

Who knows???

RM, as it appears no one has attempted to answer one of your original questions here, the running theme on TCM's schedule last night was that all the films presented, not just "Mockingbird" and "GWTW" were based in the American South. It had nothing to do with Thanksgiving.

That actually may have been the stated underlying theme there, Char, however while I didn't watch any of TCM's programing last night and thus also missed any and all of the introductions, I did happen to notice while viewing my DirectTV guide at about 5pm that coincidentally all the films scheduled to be shown seemed to also have that "American South" connection I mentioned earlier.

> {quote:title=BigFaceSmallRazor wrote:}{quote}You gotta admit: It is kinda weird that both "classic" movie channels are showing both movies simultaneously (give or take). Hope it's not some corporate marketing ploy to see which "format" (AMC or TCM) attracts the most viewers or something.

Forgive me, but I'm confused. Are you saying TCM possibly scheduled the same movies as AMC to see if commercials are a viable concept? Or are you saying AMC possibly scheduled the same movies as TCM to see if going back to a non-commercial format was a viable concept? In either case it would be an apples to oranges comparison, seems to me.

AMC would need to factor in the fact that classic movies are a rare thing on their channel and any viewers are not representative of their normal numbers. TCM would have to factor in that going commercial would mean modernizing - remember that AMC's commercial sponsors insisted on it - thus losing all of their current viewers and having to go through what AMC went through - years of rebuilding viewership from the ground up.

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}RM, as it appears no one has attempted to answer one of your original questions here, the running theme on TCM's schedule last night was that all the films presented, not just "Mockingbird" and "GWTW" were based in the American South. It had nothing to do with Thanksgiving.

Yes, that's right... A close relative gets the TCM monthly magazine and it has all the themes and what not for the month listed...

Yes, "Southern Literature" sub-theme as part of "Great Adaptations" theme for November...

Thanks...

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > Last night they aired "To Kill a Mockingbird" at 8:00 p.m. and today they aired "Gone With The Wind" during the day.

> No, they are airing non-stop commercials all day and night, with some movie clips in between some of the commercials.

That's exactly how the business people see it. Which is why I won't watch. Don't they know that it only demonstrates why TCM is better ? A whole hour longer for the same film because of commercials ?

Why don't they make some deal: AMC can have all those new movies and bad horror that TCM shows on the weekends. TCM stick to the old classics. Then they would never overlap.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings