Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gone with the Wind

wouldbestar

AMC has been running *Gone with the Wind* all day and TCM has it scheduled for tonight as well. Is this the first time that the same movie has aired on both stations at the same time? I doubt I'll be watching as I'm preparing for tomorrow but I can't imagine anybody preferring AMC with all the commercials to us.

I remember when AMC was only on the air for 12 hours a day. They came on about 3pm and they would show a double-feature, repeat it and then repeat it once more before signing off.

That other AMC host was John Burke.

I believe that it was a home shopping channel. Either that or paid religious programming. It may have varied depending on the cable company. It took a few years for them to go 24/7, maybe 1989 or 1990 if I recall correctly.

AMC grew fairly quickly, maybe because of deals such as the one that I got. When cable came to NYC in the mid-80s, my area was served by Time Warner and AMC was offered to me free if I signed on for two premium channels.

It took a couple of years for AMC to be moved into the basic cable tier, maybe it coincided with their going 24/7 in 1990 (I looked it up). Again, that was the situation in NYC, it will vary depending on the cable system and location. I know people on Long Island with Cablevision who didn't get TCM until 2006.

My Time Warner system didn't add TCM until 1999, and that's a sister company. I missed the first five years of TCM and sent quite a few letters and emails to Time Warner begging for it.

Everyone who watches this film should be reminded that it was made in the days before Cinemascope, yet it contains many wide-screen scenes, with no heads being cut off.

Since it is in the universal 4:3 format, it ALSO contains many vertical scenes, and a few diagonal scenes. Watch the ladies when Aunt Pittypat faints. That is a diagonal scene, which can NOT be made with a Cinemascope or Panavision lens or camera.

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}AMC has been running *Gone with the Wind* all day and TCM has it scheduled for tonight as well. Is this the first time that the same movie has aired on both stations at the same time? I doubt I'll be watching as I'm preparing for tomorrow but I can't imagine anybody preferring AMC with all the commercials to us.

Hey, I mentioned all of this in another thread called "Hate to Mention This, But"...

What I "hated to mention" was AMC and what they're airing...

AMC aired "To Kill a Mockingbird" too...

In my other thread I wondered what was up? Wondered if "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "GWTW" were American Thanksgiving movies...

AMC having a "Thanksgiving With Your Godfather" festival all day Thursday airing "Godfather," Godfather, Part 2," and then the "Godfather" again...

Wondering if AMC thinks people will get confused and view the films on their channel by accident??

Even with commercials (some people like commercials for pee breaks, letting the dog out, chit-chat, grab a pop or snack, etc... Especially if they are low-tech and don't have recording equipment to tape programs or the fancy functions some cable companies have for viewers to use via the remote...)...

Who knows???

If you know, let me know...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings