Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy Black Friday

RMeingast

Happy Black Friday!!!

Yes, we have Black Friday up in Canadaland too...

(Despite the fact that our Thanksgiving was back in October...)

Lots of good deals... Actually sales started on Thursday up in Canada as it's just a regular day in our country - since we had our Thanksgiving back in October...

Oh well...

Anyway, Bruiser Pro'Pane has some survival tips for Black Friday shoppers here (I'd hate to see on the news that some TCM message board user has been trampled or died some other way while shopping):

*http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3842cd5d77/black-friday-survival-techniques?playlist=featured_videos*

(Sometimes I think we need Bruiser on the TCM Message Board to teach us some defence techniques...)

I've been getting Black Friday prices for the last week via emailed solicitations from major online sellers. I got the Black Friday price from Amazon on a new TV this past Monday, ordered it in the afternoon and it arrived Wednesday evening - and this turnaround was using the free super saving shipping. Yet for 28 dollars, they were willing to guarantee me that I'd get it in two days.

That was better than going to Best Buy today and dealing with the herd and getting it for the same price.

I was actually getting some "previews" of Black Friday prices from a few stores right after Halloween. At this rate, I should be getting "after-Christmas sale" notices by December 1.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}No shopping for me. As Dargo suggested, on Black Friday I've got nothin' to do but to feed the kangaroos........I'm also planning on watching NORTH BY NORTHWEST, which I've never seen, on TCM, at 1:45 PM.

Could this be the TCM premiere of North by Northwest?

I think it's misnamed.

They have a corresponding color for many things; Red for anger, blue for sadness, green for envy, white for purity etc. I think whichever color that's used to represent stupidity is the color that should indicate this day.

As for me, I'll be busy tending to both my clogged arteries AND clogged plumbing today.

Sepiatone

I was at Wal-Mart to purchase a few things at 6 A.M.

The crowd was gone and the staff was cleaning up litter and removing empty pallets. The two "Black Friday" items I wanted were available in quantity. It would not have been a great loss to me if they had not been as they were not necessities. It hurt me greatly more that they were out of dill and I had to go to another grocery for it.

I have little experience with such things so I am wondering if it is normal that several discounted laptops and televisions were still available. I thought such items were meant to be sold out completely within minutes of their being offered.

I was at Wal-mart at 6 AM. The crowd was gone and the saff was cleaning up litter and removing empty WALLETS......(pallets}

I got a good chuckle out of that line until I realized I mis-read the word pallets for wallets, however, 'removing empty WALLETS' was probably more like it! :^0

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}I was at Wal-Mart to purchase a few things at 6 A.M.

>

>

>

> The crowd was gone and the staff was cleaning up litter and removing empty pallets. The two "Black Friday" items I wanted were available in quantity. It would not have been a great loss to me if they had not been as they were not necessities. It hurt me greatly more that they were out of dill and I had to go to another grocery for it.

>

>

>

> I have little experience with such things so I am wondering if it is normal that several discounted laptops and televisions were still available. I thought such items were meant to be sold out completely within minutes of their being offered.

Yikes! The crowd was gone by 6AM??? I was up at 6AM myself happily ordering away at the Warner Archive Black Friday sale, but no way would I venture out into that crazed bargain-happy crowd today.

I can't comment on the leftover laptops other than my husband says that people are going more and more to tablets. I'm still happy with laptops myself.

Thank goodness for Fingerhut. No way would I put up with that nonsense. Put me in that fray, I would come out at the end of the day looking like one of these guys.

[img=http://fineartamerica.com/images-simple-print/images-medium/black-friday-left-boris-karloff-right-everett.jpg]

Backu link http://fineartamerica.com/images-simple-print/images-medium/black-friday-left-boris-karloff-right-everett.jpg

I can never see Boris Karloff without remembering that he was Milburn Stone's best friend. The couples used to go traveling together, even. Of all the odd couples ... I met Mrs. Karloff once at a gathering, when she was visiting Mrs. Stone after Doc's death. A lovely lady, who lived alone in England after her husband died.

I'd never go out shopping the day after Thanksgiving. I do it all online anyway. Had a wonderful time yesterday playing for the Food Bank charity at our Homeowners Association Center. Marvelous food, good friends, and every cent went to charity. No overhead whatever. Anyway I was knocked out enough so that I wouldn't want to go anywhere anyway.

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> Other than starting at an uncivilized hour, it doesn't seem that much has changed...

I remember well scenes in *Auntie Mame* (1958) and *Holiday Affair* (1949) of crowded stores.

I know it is unpopular to say good things of Wal-Mart but I believe they did a good thing this year by having three starting times. I had to go there yesterday because I burned what I was cooking and had to buy things to replace what I ruined. It was two hours before their first starting time and there were yet people beginning to form lines. It causes me to shudder when I imagine what it would have been like if all of the people had to be there for only one starting time. I believe they would have begun to line up on Wednesday.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings