Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

They sang their own songs. . . .or didn't.

slaytonf

I learned recently that Vera Ellen was dubbed. So too, I imagine, was Cyd Charisse. I believe Ann Miller sang her own songs, as did Jane Powell, and certainly Betty Hutton and Betty Grable.

Audrey Hepburn and Natalie Wood famously were dubbed, though Miss Hepburn manages to come through in a few places, and as I recall hearing once, she performed Henry Mancini's favorite version of Moon River.

I can't recall any men being dubbed. A pity. While studio heads it seemed quailed at the idea of listening to a woman's voice that was less than melodious, they apparently thought nothing of subjecting us to the scrapings the likes of Peter O'Toole, Clint Eastwood, and Lee Marvin.

That is an interesting list. I used to think that being dubbed was a mark of shame, probably because of all the publicity I remember involving Audrey Hepburn's selection for MY FAIR LADY.

I've since learned that the studios often dubbed people when they thought another voice would be a "better fit" with the material despite the fact that the actor/actress could sing.

OTOH, Cyd, Lucy, and Vera-Ellen certainly show up on that list a lot.

>I've since learned that the studios often dubbed people when they thought another voice would be a "better fit" with the material despite the fact that the actor/actress could sing.

And sometimes it was done as punishment to a star that was giving the studio trouble.

William Eythe was under contract at 20th Century Fox in the 1940s. He had experience singing on Broadway and by most accounts was very good. But Zanuck had his numbers dubbed in what would be the actor's only musical at the studio, CENTENNIAL SUMMER.

Eythe was probably being taught a lesson after news of a relationship with another actor began circulating.

Just heard a segment on NPR's Morning Edition; an interview with Christopher Plummer who galiantly agreed that his singing in "Sound of Music" had been mostly dubbed. The name of the artist, whose name I cannot recall, also was the voice for Lt. Cable in "South Pacific," and others.

Unless I missed it, there was no mention of *To Have Or Have Not* where a very young ANDY WILLIAMS dubbed the singing of LAUREN BACALL.

And there was an old western with a very young JOHN WAYNE riding into town strumming a guitar and singing a tune, dubbed by GENE AUTRY.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings